New York bans Cell Phones at Movies (and museums, libraries and art galleries) Agree?

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
The penalty (who knows how they intend to enforce it) is a 50 to answer it in one of these places.  I t dollar fine.  Apparently, it's against the law to have it ring, orhink the library, museum and art gallery thing might have been a bit much, but a person can answer a phone rather easily by walking out of a movie theater (it should be set to vibrate of course).  To enforce the law, their should probably be notices posted in these places.  That is, not to enforce it, but to make it known.  Enforcement will probably prove to be impossible in the place where it's needed most (movies imo).

Once in a movie theater, some woman answered her cell phone and actually spoke for a minute or two. 

Anyway...  it wouldn't be a problem if people just had common decency :p  (and I don't mean that in a Christian/moral supremacy kind of way).

So I think it's a good idea for movies.

I wanted to make this a poll, but the thread died the first time and I forgot to check the poll button the second time.  Oh well.

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Today at 05:38 AM Rize said this in Post #1

Anyway...  it wouldn't be a problem if people just had common decency :p  (and I don't mean that in a Christian/moral supremacy kind of way).

well thats the problem

a lot of people honestly couldnt give a xxxx about other peoples feelings.

i think passing a law about it is a bit much but i think that theatres, libraries should be allowed to impose fines on this.

i have classes where the teacher is in mid lecture. a cell phone rings, and not just a normal ring; its always one of those retarded musical rings, and the person picks up and talks in the middle of class!

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
lol.  Yeah.  That's just disrespectful.

As for the musical rings, that has a practical side to it (though I thought they were pretty dumb too until someone with a cell phone informed me).  The thing is, if all cell-phone rings were normal, people in public places wouldn't know whose phone is ringing (at least, not nearly as easy).

Of course, with the same popular songs being used over and over, it's still not perfect.  And of course, now nobody uses the regular ring so it is distinctive in its own right!

If I ever get a cell phone, I'll probably make my own ring tone since I have musical ability :)  And you woudl (or might still) think it was retarded if I hadn't told you this :D

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Yesterday at 11:57 PM mala said this in Post #2 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=650251#post650251)

well thats the problem

a lot of people honestly couldnt give a xxxx about other peoples feelings.

i think passing a law about it is a bit much but i think that theatres, libraries should be allowed to impose fines on this.

i have classes where the teacher is in mid lecture. a cell phone rings, and not just a normal ring; its always one of those retarded musical rings, and the person picks up and talks in the middle of class!

Hopefully, that will change after evaluations come in.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I think the law should be that if someone brings a phone into a theater, a lecture hall, a resturant, or especially a church, and it audibly rings or the person speaks into it, the other people there should have the right to forcibly remove it from him and smash it into ten million pieces.

Anyone driving on the road and using a cell phone at the same time should face up to $100,000.00 in fines and not less than eighteen months in jail.

I cannot count the number of times I have nearly been broadsided by some clueless individual who was conducting business when he should have been paying attention to the road. Having a cell phone in a theater or a church is simple rudeness, but using one inside a moving vehicle is a clear and present danger capable of producing injury and death to everyone around the individual using the phone.

Hang up and drive.

Upvote 0

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow Wols.............

18 months for talking on a stupid box while driving.. they don't even give DRUNK drivers who kill people on the roads that much time.. and that fine yo suggest - whew - hope I never get ragged in front of you on a bad day :D but I do agree - they should be punished in some way and fined... but until they punish drunk drivers or the real crazy ones ( the ones reading newspaper driving ) then you can't punish those talking on phone......

don't get me wrong - been there ( almost broadsided ) and soon.. but we must deal with other worse driving more so... some people are just plain ignorant of those around.. I never carry My phone ( or beeper when I had one ) inot a church or any place without making sure it was on vibrate only................ common sense and respectful of others should always prevail

Upvote 0

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00
I dont understand why talking on a phone while driving is so difficult for people. I can do it no problem. no different than listening and talking to someone next to you, in the passenger seat. are they gonna ban that too soon? so if that isnt the problem is it that they are taking their eyes off of the road to dial? well people do that to the radi too. I am sick and tired of creating laws to handle these problems.

Upvote 0

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:D ROFL....... the main problem is the way they talk on phone. I have watched many a people talking on phone - hands flying left and right - taking both hands off the steering wheel and so on......... to me - if a person has the no hands phone with ear plugs or whatever they need - no problem - otherwise get off the phone - and drive........

ohhhhhhhhh - I've almost been broadsided several times becaus ethe people are so intent listening on phone they move onto the next lane without looking or drift over into the next lane.......

boils down to common sense -most people do not have any when talking on phone and driving.... the only time I ever use MY phone when on the road is when stuck in traffic and calling wife to let her know.... the number is in phone so only have ot hit one button and when I am stopped - afterwards - I hang up

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today at 10:26 AM WayneH said this in Post #8

Wow Wols.............

18 months for talking on a stupid box while driving.. they don't even give DRUNK drivers who kill people on the roads that much time.. and that fine yo suggest - whew - hope I never get ragged in front of you on a bad day :D but I do agree - they should be punished in some way and fined... but until they punish drunk drivers or the real crazy ones ( the ones reading newspaper driving ) then you can't punish those talking on phone......

don't get me wrong - been there ( almost broadsided ) and soon.. but we must deal with other worse driving more so... some people are just plain ignorant of those around.. I never carry My phone ( or beeper when I had one ) inot a church or any place without making sure it was on vibrate only................ common sense and respectful of others should always prevail

Then the problem lies in the lack of severity in sentencing drunks.

Upvote 0

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 02:13 PM Rize said this in Post #11 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=651129#post651129)

Then the problem lies in the lack of severity in sentencing drunks.

this is about talking on cell phones - not drunk driving..... in another thread though - I would go along with tougher sentenaces.. but now we are talking phones... there is such a thing as cruel and unusual punishment. $100,000 fine 18 months in prison is a tad harsh by any standards...

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today at 12:51 PM Angel75 said this in Post #9

I dont understand why talking on a phone while driving is so difficult for people. I can do it no problem. no different than listening and talking to someone next to you, in the passenger seat. are they gonna ban that too soon? so if that isnt the problem is it that they are taking their eyes off of the road to dial? well people do that to the radi too. I am sick and tired of creating laws to handle these problems.

I agree that it's perfectly possible to drive and talk on a cell-phone at the same time.  However, I think many people simply can't do it.  They can't drive as well.  A phone has to be handled in one hand, and I would imagine it takes a little more looking to use the phone than the radio.  So what do we do?  Outlaw it or let people get hurt?

I'm usually conservative in this kind of regard, but I don't think that people who drive should be handling cell-phones for the most part.

It's like...  drunk driving.  Some people can honestly drive just fine after going over the legal limit (sometimes well over).  That doesn't make legalizing drunk driving a good idea does it?

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hate cell phones in movie theaters, restaurants and such places but I like freedom more than I hate them.

Cell phone towers are built next to highways. The only reason you can use a cell phone aside from being in a vehicle is due to your present proximity to a highway.
Also, Nascar uses 2 way communications in heavy traffic while traveling at speeds approaching 200 MPH.

All truckers, emergency vehicles, police and cab drivers use 2 way radios on a constant basis.

Some people just can't drive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's like... drunk driving. Some people can honestly drive just fine after going over the legal limit (sometimes well over). That doesn't make legalizing drunk driving a good idea does it?

:D depends on who you ask.....

Love to continue on this and other topics - but gotta get ready and prepare for a mission trip to Jamaica.... gonna be touch leaving this 15 degree weather to go and work in the Jamaican sun and 90 degree weather.. yep - almost as tough as driving down the road drunk talking on the phone............

that was a joke guys.....

Upvote 0

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 02:39 PM eldermike said this in Post #15 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=651182#post651182)

I hate cell phones in movie theaters, restaurants and such places but I like freedom more than I hate them.

Cell phone towers are built next to highways. The only reason you can use a cell phone aside from being in a vehicle is due to your present proximity to a highway.
Also, Nascar uses 2 way communications in heavy traffic while traveling at speeds approaching 200 MPH.

All truckers, emergency vehicles, police and cab drivers use 2 way radios on a constant basis.

but they do not hold the radio with one hand and talk with the other hand....... I'm all for head phones......

Upvote 0

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Good. Now if only the rest of the states would ban them from those public places...

As for when driving, my policy is that anything which distracts most of the extremely bad drivers I see every day even further should also be banned, be it food, alcohol, or cell phones in a car.

Upvote 0

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today at 01:39 PM eldermike said this in Post #15

Those guys are trained professionals.

And you're right, some people can't drive :)

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
In the part of the country I live in, tourists looking at scenery tend to cause more problems than drivers talking on a cell phone. Banning cell phone use in a car won't lower any accident numbers by vast amounts, nor will it stop people from leaning down to pick up a french fry they dropped, looking for a cd, or turning around to yell at the kids. We get a lot of good information about potential drunk drivers, accidents, or probable dangerous situations through people calling on their cell phone while driving. It can be done correctly, but as with most things, people are too arrogant or lazy to take the time to learn how.

As far as banning them in theaters, etc., as idyllic as that sounds, the scope of enforcement is far beyond possibility. Unless they begin the CPC (Cell Phone Crimes) Division of the NYPD and hire officers to solely walk around listening for the newest musical ring, it will simply be a bunch of annoyed citizens calling the Police only to be told, "sorry, our guys are working a domestic violence, cell phone calls are a priority 82 issue". No beat, road, or special unit officer is going to take the time to actually write a cell phone ticket. Too much else to do.

Upvote 0