New to CF and to Lutheranism

MetalheadKara

Jun 7, 2013
✟7,638.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't shun you if you dressed like that at my church. We have people who dress all different ways from suits to jeans. My big question would be...do you sing? (I'm choir director! LOL)

I do sing, actually! I'm thinking about joining the choir at my church.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And in what manner is that?

Adam and Eve were naked in the garden and they had no problem approaching God.

That was before the fall. You'll recall that after they ate the apple, they couldn't stand to be naked in front of God and went hiding.

That being said, I don't generally have issues with what people wear to church, but occasionally I do have a "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??" moment. That's usually when one of the younger members goes up to the railing with her butt cheeks hanging out of her shorts.

Generally I ask myself "could I wear this to a job and not be embarrassed" and if the answer is yes then I think it's appropriate for church.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was before the fall. You'll recall that after they ate the apple, they couldn't stand to be naked in front of God and went hiding.

That being said, I don't generally have issues with what people wear to church, but occasionally I do have a "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??" moment. That's usually when one of the younger members goes up to the railing with her butt cheeks hanging out of her shorts.

Generally I ask myself "could I wear this to a job and not be embarrassed" and if the answer is yes then I think it's appropriate for church.

Depends on what job, but that isn't a bad comparison.

Reminds me a bit of this meme.

tumblr_mmjmbxD2fb1qer8czo1_500.jpg

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True. I've just always had reputable jobs.

You mean white collar/office jobs?

I mean being a plumber is a reputable job as in it's honest labor. But you might not want to wear to church what you wear on the job doing something like that.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You mean white collar/office jobs?

I mean being a plumber is a reputable job as in it's honest labor. But you might not want to wear to church what you wear on the job doing something like that.

Jobs that I couldn't dress like a slob for.

I'm not saying it would work for everyone, but it works for me.

Even now, working in retail, if I couldn't wear it to work I wouldn't wear it church. But I wear jeans to work.

Some of the older ladies don't always like it when I wear jeans, but I don't really care. :D

Upvote 0

alexnbethmom

Lutheran Chick
Aug 4, 2010
New Jersey
✟16,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
i wear pants to church every sunday - i think i can count on 1 hand how many times i've worn jeans to church in the last 5+ years, but that's just personal preference....there's some at our church (and quite a few at my former church) who wear jeans (mostly men, but women as well) as well as shorts (during the summer) - i have no problem at all with this, the jeans and shorts are always clean, no rips, etc....i also don't have a huge problem with what people wear to church - however, i do have a problem with clothes that are a massive distraction. really outlandish or revealing clothes are a major distraction to everybody else in the congregation, and really not appropriate for church.

Upvote 0

ThisEbenezer

1 Samuel 7:12
Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
✟15,173.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Interesting how across all denominations and churches there always seems to be the debate about "what not to wear". My Church Sunday School class has this debate on occasion.

I always look at 2 requirements and 2 requirements only - Clean and non-distracting. The materials used in the clothes is really not a big deal for me unless they distract others from worship and prayer. The shortness or design of the clothes fall into this category as well for me.

Reverence for where you are at and who you are in front of is important. However, you don't have to show reverence by shopping at Macy's instead of Walmart. Respectful attire comes in many shapes and sizes and I would hope that attire would not keep someone from coming to worship or keep others from talking to someone. The focus should be Christ and his Church and not so much what the Church is wearing.

God Bless

Oh, and this is my first post in the forum. Great discussions going on here and I am sorry it took me so long to find it.

Upvote 0

jonathan1971

Guy Extraordinaire
Feb 11, 2007
Southern Oregon
✟7,966.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Funny Story......

It was an Easter Sunday. Our Church always has a breakfast on Easter Sunday. I was sitting across from one of the older ladies of our church. She's been Lutheran for the last 70 years. I always took her to be an upright if not a little uptight member of the church. We were talking about something when one of the younger visiting ladies walked by. I noticed that her dress was a little short but didn't say anything. She noticed the length as well and said, "I see so and so is wearing their duck dress." "Duck dress," I asked. "Yah, just long enough to cover the quack." Needless to say I couldn't finish my breakfast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We should not cause offense. If you know that it is generally offensive to wear XYZ, then don't.
This can be done without being legalistic.

excellent post. I once attended a Mass at a Catholic Church with my boyfriend at the time (who was Catholic) and we came from a family picnic. We didn't have time to change and I was wearing shorts. One of the ushers at the door looked me up and down and said "God doesn't appreciate you wearing shorts to church, young lady". And I was told I could only sit in the back pew, so as not offend anyone. And my boyfriend was okay with that!!! I basically said "no thanks" and walked out the door. I waited outside until the service was over. Boyfriend and I broke up not too long after that.

Now, granted, I'm not one to normally wear shorts to church. And these weren't even bad shorts...

Upvote 0