Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went into their meetings. There was much excitement, with noise and confusion. One could not tell what was piped or what was harped. Some appeared to be in vision, and fell to the floor. Others were jumping, dancing, and shouting. They declared that as their flesh was purified, they were ready for translation. This they repeated again and again. I bore my testimony in the name of the Lord, placing His rebuke upon these manifestations" (2SM 34).

Ellen White indicates that the Lord rebuked such manifestations as falling on the ground while in vision, and shouting.

However, Ellen White also indicates that she herself fell to the ground while in vision, and that sister Durben was shouting, and indicates this was the work of the Lord.

At length my soul seemed to be in an agony, and while she was talking I fell from my chair to the floor. It was then I had a view of Jesus rising from His mediatorial throne and going to the Holiest as Bridegroom to receive His kingdom. They were all deeply interested in the view. They all said it was entirely new to them. The Lord worked in mighty power setting the truth home to their hearts. Sister Durben knew what the power of the Lord was, for she had felt it many times; and a short time after I fell she was struck down, and fell to the floor, crying to God to have mercy on her. When I came out of vision, my ears were saluted with Sister Durben's singing and shouting with a loud voice. (5MR 97)
Fascinating situation.

And if you're cool with it, I'd like to present this question:

There are numerous examples in the scriptures of shouting, dancing, and hand-raising.

How do SDA churches put that into practice today?

I like to watch worship videos from around the world. My experience is that across cultures, SDA churches tend to be quite sedate.

Comments?

Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So if you had an understanding of a particular Scripture passage, but Ellen White said it meant something else, would you then bring your interpretation of Scripture into line with the inspired guide which corrects inaccurate interpretations?
No I wouldn't, however, I would search the Scriptures again more deeply to see if what she said or wrote was true.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
She was doing none of those things. Your posting misinformation. Falsehood is on your side. Like much of what you read on the internet in that website you provided. Just because someone was at a murder scene does not make them the murderer so to speak. EGW and James White were not the ones on trial there.
LGW, how many excuses do you make for EGW before you reject her? 1,10,100,1000,10000 I am not asking you to reject her if you are convinced she is a prophet, but how many failed prophecies does she get in your mind before you say, hey she is not what she says she is? How many contradictions while in vision will you put up with? How many people who are eye witness accounts will you reject before you accept their testimony. ALL saying the same thing. How many sources will she copy before you say hey that is not her work, that is not God's voice? What would it take with you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My experience is that across cultures, SDA churches tend to be quite sedate.

Comments?

I had heard “contemporary worship” was on the rise in the SDA, but my experience with visiting them involved very conventional Protestant worship in most respects, but that was years ago. It was all organ music and classic hymns, which is how I like it personally (or a capella, if a church is using a really good choir or cantorand one of the traditional forms of Christian chant, such as Byzantine, Gregorian, Armenian, Syriac, Assyrian, Coptic Tasbeha, Ethiopic, Mozarabic, Ambrosian, Gallican, Znamenny, Prostopinije, Kievan, Valaam, Slavonic “Greek Chant”, Georgian three part harmony, and Anglican chant; I also like Jewish sacred music and cantillation a capella according to the traditional Rabinnical and Karaite style of worship, which clearly shows a relation to Christian chant).

Speaking of which, the SDA in Ukraine several years ago released a splendid album which includes the best works of sacred music by Orthodox composers in Ukraine and Russia, and I have heard some churches of theirs in Ukraine are like the Ukrainian Lutherans, using a modified version of the Divine Liturgy of St. Chrysostom. Whether they are or are not, it is a brilliant album and it is one of a rare few which has not only Bortniansky’s oft-recorded Cherubic Hymn no. 7, but also Cherubic hymn no. 6. So looking that up on iTunes might be of interest to those looking to support Ukrainian churches, and cultural institutions, such as choirs.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had heard “contemporary worship” was on the rise in the SDA, but my experience with visiting them involved very conventional Protestant worship in most respects, but that was years ago. It was all organ music and classic hymns, which is how I like it personally (or a capella, if a church is using a really good choir or cantorand one of the traditional forms of Christian chant, such as Byzantine, Gregorian, Armenian, Syriac, Assyrian, Coptic Tasbeha, Ethiopic, Mozarabic, Ambrosian, Gallican, Znamenny, Prostopinije, Kievan, Valaam, Slavonic “Greek Chant”, Georgian three part harmony, and Anglican chant; I also like Jewish sacred music and cantillation a capella according to the traditional Rabinnical and Karaite style of worship, which clearly shows a relation to Christian chant).

Speaking of which, the SDA in Ukraine several years ago released a splendid album which includes the best works of sacred music by Orthodox composers in Ukraine and Russia, and I have heard some churches of theirs in Ukraine are like the Ukrainian Lutherans, using a modified version of the Divine Liturgy of St. Chrysostom. Whether they are or are not, it is a brilliant album and it is one of a rare few which has not only Bortniansky’s oft-recorded Cherubic Hymn no. 7, but also Cherubic hymn no. 6. So looking that up on iTunes might be of interest to those looking to support Ukrainian churches, and cultural institutions, such as choirs.
contempoary worship was an issue in the 1980's & 1990's

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I wouldn't, however, I would search the Scriptures again more deeply to see if what she said or wrote was true.
I don't mean this to sound harsh or anything, but that sounds like kind of a strange approach to me.

White's writings correct inaccurate interpretations of the scriptures, but something she wrote could also be a false interpretation of the scriptures?

Reactions: TheShire
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it still a thing or has there been a shift to more traditional worship?
it is now up to the individual churches. most don't have a problem with it. I went to a church where there was a lot of music a lot of variety something for everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't mean this to sound harsh or anything, but that sounds like kind of a strange approach to me.

White's writings correct inaccurate interpretations of the scriptures, but something she wrote could also be a false interpretation of the scriptures?
hence the problem with her authority and the reason for conflict, but since she is a prophet she cannot make mistakes.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't a strange approach for the people of Berea, as Paul commended them for searching the Scriptures to see if what he said was true.

Acts 17:11 says, "The people of Berea were more open-minded than the people of Thessalonica. They were very willing to receive God's message, and every day they carefully examined the Scriptures to see if what Paul said was true."

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't a strange approach for the people of Berea, as Paul commended them for searching the Scriptures to see if what he said was true.

Acts 17:11 says, "The people of Berea were more open-minded than the people of Thessalonica. They were very willing to receive God's message, and every day they carefully examined the Scriptures to see if what Paul said was true."
Sure! What would they have done if they had found that something Paul said wasn't true?

Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sure! What would they have done if they had found that something Paul said wasn't true?
Even though that calls for speculation, I would like to think that they would have sided with the Scriptures over what Paul said.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even though that calls for speculation, I would like to think that they would have sided with the Scriptures over what Paul said.
I agree that called for speculation.

If they sided with the Scriptures over what Paul said, that would mean that they thought what Paul said contained an inaccurate interpretation.

I think that would follow logically.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If they sided with the Scriptures over what Paul said, that would mean that they thought what Paul said contained an inaccurate interpretation.

I think that would follow logically.
"If" is the operative word.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Never Got answer so I will ask again?

LGW, how many excuses do you make for EGW before you reject her? 1,10,100,1000,10000 I am not asking you to reject her if you are convinced she is a prophet, but how many failed prophecies does she get in your mind before you say, hey she is not what she says she is? How many contradictions while in vision will you put up with? How many people who are eye witness accounts will you reject before you accept their testimony. ALL saying the same thing. How many sources will she copy before you say hey that is not her work, that is not God's voice? What would it take with you

• Winner
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As posted earlier I am not interested in talking EGW unsupported by the scritures. I am only correcting misinformation. We should only point others to Gods' Word. You want to talk EGW I want to talk scripture. Your thread is about EGW being inspired, you were provided scripture from *Romans 12:6, 1 Corinthians 12:28, 29; 13:1-3, 8; 14:6, and in Ephesians 4:11 and Revelation 12:17; Revelation 14:12 compare Revelation 19:10. showing that Gods' Church prior to the second coming has prophets inspired by God's Word pointing only to God's Word. So what is your problem?
There is a difference between the church having prophets and what the text actually says. The text speaks of all the individuals, the remnant, the saints, thy brethren keeping the commandments of God and having the testimony of Jesus Christ which the Spirit of prophecy.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between the church having prophets and what the text actually says. The text speaks of all the individuals, the remnant, the saints, thy brethren keeping the commandments of God and having the testimony of Jesus Christ which the Spirit of prophecy.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
Are you saying God’s Church is not of one fold John 10:16 and is made of believers who keep the commandments of God and testimony of Jesus Christ?

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,569.00
Country
United States
Faith