new member with questions

I was raised in the Protestant Christian faith. I strayed from christianity to explore the other major world religions annd have never been able to comletely come to terms with christianity. I thinkt that all the dogma made me push away. I have developed a somewhat "holistic" spirituallity, and believe that i follow as closely to the teachings of christ regarding earthly being and our responsibilities to our fellows. But i also try to follow as closely to the teachings found in buddhist, shintoist, muslim texts. I think that all of these major religions have extremely common threads, and are all equally helpful in developing a healthy spiritual life.
I often hear from believers in christ that the only way into heaven is though a belief in christ as the one true savior. What, if any, were the early jewish beliefs of stip[ulations for entrance to heaven, before christ's appearance on the planet? Did God decide to change the rules when he brought this teacher to us? Is it that he decided to raise the stakes?
And i know that most believe that you cannot place human, physical limits on the boundaries of God. So my questions is this: if heaven is a "place" rather than a "state of being", where is it? wouldn't it follow that heaven and hell would transcend the time and space limits of earth?
I know that no one truly has the answers to these questions of faith, but perhaps someone could shed a little light on these subjects for me.
I'm lookoing for ward to a discourse!

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What I believe, and what gives me comfort in not understanding these things, is that I belive that God is all-knowing. That means He was able to look all the way in the past and all the way in the future. Therefore, how He decided to do things is the best for me.

Here's how I look at it: sometimes in your life, bad things, horrible things happen. But in the end, seeing it all come together for your ultimate good, would you really change a thing?
By the way, the stakes weren't raised...they were lowered, greatly on our part. Christianity is the only belief where nothing has to be physically done in order to achieve salvation (that I know of)

In answer for your second question, as C.S. Lewis put it, wouldn't it be more disturbing if we did find heaven in outer space? That would put our own limits on God, a God which is supposed to be unfathomably infinite. It wouldn't make any sense.

Not saying these are the facts, only personal speculations. I do hope that they help you out even a little.

God Bless,
-Supermag

Upvote 0

oneiric

redeemed
Jun 27, 2003
✟15,732.00
Faith
Christian
Before Christ, salvation still based on faith, just as it is today.

>>>>>>>."And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness." 4Now to the one who works, his wage is not reckoned as a favor, but as what is due. 5But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness, 6just as David also speaks of the blessing upon the man to whom God reckons righteousness apart from works: 7"Blessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven, and whose sins have been covered. 8"Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not take into account" (Rom. 4:3-8).
>>>>>>>>>>>>.

They were still justified by faith.

Buddhism is pantheistic and says there is no personal God and everyone can reach Godlikeness on his own. Islam says that Jesus was just a prophet and not the only way to God. Christianity says that there is a personal God and that the only way to Him is through Jesus. You can't take a little from every religion and call it Truth. Truth doesn't contradict itself. There is only one way, one true God, one true "religion". I believe Christ is the only way.

Upvote 0
that's where i have problems in coming to terms with christianity. I am able to accept Jesus christ, not as sole savior to the masses, but as one of VERY few superior beings, prophets if you will. As far as pantheism, isn't a tenant of christianity to strive to become more christ-like in our daily living....doesn't that go hand in hand with the buddhist struggle for enlightenment? The only thing blatantly lacking, it seems, is the threat of eternal damnationnn, or the golden goose of eternal rewards. Enlightenment for enlightenment's sake. It seems to make more sense to me, to do it for the sake of it being the right thing, rather than expecting that higher being to pat us on the back. What would the worl look like if all this battling about whose god is the ONE true god were to cease. Would man eventually realize that we are each of the same soul, and that the golden rule holds true, not because it is a RULE persay, but simply because it IS golden? Now THAT seems more worth striving for than streets paved with gold and pillars of white. Doesn't the Christian goal seem a little too selfcentered when placed beside the selfless (godlike)?
And correct me if i'm reading this wrong: but pre-christ scripture says that FAITH was the prerequisite for the pearly gates? after jesue, that faith expanded to include him as sole savior...is that how that should be interpreted? (excuse my lack of scripture "comfort" :scratch: :o )

Upvote 0

oneiric

redeemed
Jun 27, 2003
✟15,732.00
Faith
Christian
If you have accepted Christ in that way, then you have not accepted Him at all.

We all strive to be Christ in that we strive to be good people in Christ's name. That doesn't mean we don't need to be saved. We all do. We ALL do. Everyone is sinful, and that is why we all need Christ. He is the only way to salvation. Enlightenment will get you nowhere, you are still sinful and in need of a savior.

God loved you enough to die for you. If you want to choose to reject His means of salvation, then you are choosing your destination. I don't strive to be like Christ because I'm selfish and greedy for a reward. No, I try to be like my Savior because I love Him and I want to walk in His path.

If Christ was a prophet, why would He proclaim to be God? No, He cannot be a prophet. He is either a lunatic, a liar, or truly God.

Faith in God. Nothing has changed. Jesus is God. Accepting Him as Lord and Savior is utilized through faith. Faith in God.

Upvote 0

supermagdalena

The Shrubs and the Flan.
Jan 27, 2002
Suburbia, USA
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I understand where you're coming from, I used to have a similar viewpoint. But what someone told me once that struck was this: how could Jesus have been a Prophet? If you try to prove the Bible unreliable...well, tons have tried and no one's succeeded yet. So as far as we know, it's true. And if it is, Jesus was either insane, the greatest liar of all time, or the Son of God. Him being a prophet woudl make him a lying prophet, which means he wouldn't have been a true prophet at all, but a false one. Or, He was insane and truly believed He was SOn of God, but was not. Or, the viewpoint I've found I settle the best with, He was the Son of God and the One True Light.

The beef I have with all religions being ways to God is this: there can't be all those ways, because they contradict eachother. Some religions don't even believe in God! And where do you draw the line on who gets in and who doesn't? How do you justify one person's sin and not anothers?

See where it gets muddled? I hope I'm being clear here :)

God Bless,
-Supermag

Upvote 0

Nathan David

Sep 5, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟2,226.00
Faith
Atheist
MegP, the reason you haven't found a satisfactory answer in any of the world's religions is because they have no answers to offer. There is no god to have a relationship with. Your best bet is to stop worrying about it and the live your life the way you think is best. Keep reading and learning, as you have been, and take wisdom wherever you find it, but never stop using your own judgment or intelligence.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
oneiric said:
Buddhism is pantheistic and says there is no personal God and everyone can reach Godlikeness on his own.

Namaste oneiric,

whilst it's true that Buddhists do accept the existence of gods it is not true that we believe that one can reach "godlikeness" in any shape, form or fashion in this lifetime.

to disucss this in depth, i believe we'd have to PM each other.. which i'm happy to do should you desire it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums