New Louisiana inappropriate content law... A needed safeguard? Or ineffective measure that will create more problems than it solves?

Will this law create more problems than it solves?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that includes taking the evidence around Jesus seriously, I am good with that. If you want to accept Jesus-based rules for yourself and other Jesus-believers, that is fine with me. As for the rest of us and the law consent will do fine, thank you.

Understood. And if it wasn't clear, I was inferring awkward conversations that would take place around one's church or family, not the general public.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When parents are indoctrinating them with religion, for example.

You can spare the troll-talk and just have a conversation with us, can't you?

Or is the freedom to have access to inappropriate content too all important to you to do so?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If it cuts down on the number of kids accessing hard-core inappropriate content, that's all that matters.
How much of an intrusion into your privacy would you agree with if it supposedly protects children from inappropriate content?

For example, would you agree with the government monitoring all your PC activity, including internet use and access to your webcam, so that they can make sure that no minor is sitting in front of the screen while inappropriate content is watched?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If it cuts down on the number of kids accessing hard-core inappropriate content, that's all that matters.
"if it cuts down on...", by itself, isn't a practical mitigation strategy for any problem when living in a complex society.

We could "cut down on" tax fraud by having one IRS auditor per every 100 citizens.

We could "cut down on" traffic related deaths by capping the speed limit at 20 mph everywhere.

We could "cut down on" obesity by outlawing fast food and imposing a sugar tax of 50%.

All of those measures would create a "net positive" in terms of the myopically structured objective. None of those measures would be feasible or sensible when other aspects of society and externalities are taken into account.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How much of an intrusion into your privacy would you agree with if it supposedly protects children from inappropriate content?

For example, would you agree with the government monitoring all your PC activity, including internet use and access to your webcam, so that they can make sure that no minor is sitting in front of the screen while inappropriate content is watched?
How did you get all the way there from simple age verification?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"if it cuts down on...", by itself, isn't a practical mitigation strategy for any problem when living in a complex society.

We could "cut down on" tax fraud by having one IRS auditor per every 100 citizens.

We could "cut down on" traffic related deaths by capping the speed limit at 20 mph everywhere.

We could "cut down on" obesity by outlawing fast food and imposing a sugar tax of 50%.

All of those measures would create a "net positive" in terms of the myopically structured objective. None of those measures would be feasible or sensible when other aspects of society and externalities are taken into account.

It really wouldn't be difficult to establish an age verification system that simply green lights a user to access age restricted content, such as R rated motion pictures. Without giving out their name, rank and serial number to unscrupulous inappropriate content peddlers.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's just an (admitedly extreme) example. I'd just like to know at which point an intrusion into privacy "for the children" is no longer okay with you.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's just an (admitedly extreme) example. I'd just like to know at which point an intrusion into privacy "for the children" is no longer okay with you.
Well in the scenario you gave, I personally wouldn't care much. Being watched on camera and my internet activity being monitored already exists at work. And since I don't do anything at home that's much different than what I do at work conduct wise, it would really just be more of the same. Probably the only major difference that would be seen in my online home computer use compared to at work, would be my online video game playing.

However what's really the issue is just some sort of age verification to access adult content on the internet. Which should include websites that contain extreme violence or gore or even just R rated movies. And like I already said, I think age verification can be accomplished without having to include other personal information.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Well in the scenario you gave, I personally wouldn't care much.
Good to know! I hope you can see why some people wouldn't want to be watched by the government through their webcam whenever they use the internet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good to know! I hope you can see why some people wouldn't want to be watched by the government through their webcam whenever they use the internet.
This thread isn't about that though. How about putting away the hyperbolic snowball scenarios, and getting back to what's actually taking place?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It really wouldn't be difficult to establish an age verification system that simply green lights a user to access age restricted content, such as R rated motion pictures. Without giving out their name, rank and serial number to unscrupulous inappropriate content peddlers.

To highlight the flaws in the "as long as it has any measure of success in this thing I'm trying to solve (without considerations of any other factors)"

How would one establish an age verification system without them having access to your name? I would assume a driver's license would be at the core of this system correct? Without a state issued ID of some sort being used to verify (and even that doesn't verify that the license belongs to the person sitting at the keyboard), we're back to the current honor system of "Click this button if you are over 18".

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To highlight the flaws in the "as long as it has any measure of success in this thing I'm trying to solve (without considerations of any other factors)"

How would one establish an age verification system without them having access to your name? I would assume a driver's license would be at the core of this system correct? Without a state issued ID of some sort being used to verify (and even that doesn't verify that the license belongs to the person sitting at the keyboard), we're back to the current honor system of "Click this button if you are over 18".
Third party age verification service.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Third party age verification service.
And will they have the access to your driver's license info? (as well as the info on which site you're attempting to gain access to). That's not a risk free approach either
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...entography-viewing-habits-privacy-groups-warn

Seems like the method I outlined back on page one (with screenshots) is the option most people will go with. Which is, simply clicking the VPN button in their browser and making it look like they're in Europe as to circumnavigate this completely.

Or, they'll simply choose a website/company that's not US-based, and then this whole thing becomes moot as the Netherlands, Germany, and Japan aren't beholden to the laws of Louisiana.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And will they have the access to your driver's license info? (as well as the info on which site you're attempting to gain access to). That's not a risk free approach either
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...entography-viewing-habits-privacy-groups-warn

Seems like the method I outlined back on page one (with screenshots) is the option most people will go with. Which is, simply clicking the VPN button in their browser and making it look like they're in Europe as to circumnavigate this completely.

Or, they'll simply choose a website/company that's not US-based, and then this whole thing becomes moot as the Netherlands, Germany, and Japan aren't beholden to the laws of Louisiana.
I like the idea of this making viewing online inappropriate content difficult and or uncomfortable. So I'm not really interested in coming up with solutions to alleviate that. What people should really be concerned about is that God is monitoring their activity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I like the idea of this making viewing online inappropriate content difficult and or uncomfortable. So I'm not really interested in coming up with solutions to alleviate that. What people should really be concerned about is that God is monitoring their activity.

God is monitoring? Is it like the NSA or like Santa Claus?

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If one believes in God, I think it's fair to assume that God (as they see him/her) isn't going to be interested in trying to use someone's online surfing habits to try to gain political leverage or shun someone from society due to a leaked list of "who's been looking at the naughty stuff".

Conservative Louisianan's (especially ones running for office) would absolutely take that low road.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If one believes in God, I think it's fair to assume that God (as they see him/her) isn't going to be interested in trying to use someone's online surfing habits to try to gain political leverage or shun someone from society due to a leaked list of "who's been looking at the naughty stuff".

Conservative Louisianan's (especially ones running for office) would absolutely take that low road.
All I have to offer is crocodile tears.

"you may be sure that your sin will find you out." Numbers 32:23

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is monitoring? Is it like the NSA or like Santa Claus?
Actually God already knows everything you're going to do in your lifetime. And after your lifetime, you're going to have to give an accounting for it. Scoff now, pay later.

Upvote 0