New Louisiana inappropriate content law... A needed safeguard? Or ineffective measure that will create more problems than it solves?

Will this law create more problems than it solves?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I very seriously doubt that free inappropriate content is actually free. Whoever's hosting that site must getting something out their viewers. As a Christian I can't approve of anyone, including myself, doing something they have to keep hidden under a rock.

And if this benefits kids in anyway whatsoever, then that's what takes priority.
I'm pretty sure like most other websites we access (like this one we're on now), they're largely ad-funded unless people are willing to pay to make the ads go away.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe awkward conversations are what is needed these days to get people to start taking Jesus seriously rather than coddling and enabling everyone in their social and psychological (and spiritual) dysfunctions. Human life and sexuality aren't cake walks, and we probably shouldn't be treating it all as if it should be expected to be, conveniently packaged and accessible and purely customizable for all to consume at will.
People "being outed" is just one small part of the concerns listed.

Leaks have safety implications even if it's something people aren't personally ashamed of.

Per the example I provided earlier, when California's incompetence led to the names and addresses of 200,000 gun owners being leaked to the public.

Safe to assume that conservatives (and non-conservatives) who own guns aren't ashamed of their gun ownership status, correct? However, they were none too pleased when their information was made available.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm pretty sure like most other websites we access (like this one we're on now), they're largely ad-funded unless people are willing to pay to make the ads go away.
If it cuts down on the number of kids accessing hard-core inappropriate content, that's all that matters.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it cuts down on the number of kids accessing hard-core inappropriate content, that's all that matters.
Not allowing your children unattended access to Internet devices would do that, and it would have many other benefits as well.

Oh, but, shoot, that would require parents to attend to their own children rather than letting the device do it.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not allowing your children unattended access to Internet devices would do that, and it would have many other benefits as well.

Oh, but, shoot, that would require parents to attend to their own children rather than letting the device do it.
No, the government will make a great parent. Everybody agrees.

• Winner
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Obviously you're being a tad facetious here...but in all seriousness, government databases are only so "secure".

The group called LulzSec hacked the CIA (the institution that's supposed to be the most secure and elite intelligence institution we have)

At 5:48 p.m., LulzSec, which dubs itself “the world’s leaders in high-quality entertainment at your expense,” posted an alert on Twitter: “Tango down — cia.gov — for the lulz.”

The site was back up by 8 p.m.

But the fact that the group could penetrate Web sites and harvest system administrators’ credentials underscores the risks
Technically, they didn't hack the CIA - they just DDoSed their website, which you can do to just about any public-facing website. The bit about harvesting admin credentials is misleading and doesn't appear to be referring to their takedown of the CIA site. They did get that info from the US Senate site though, which is still problematic.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Technically, they didn't hack the CIA - they just DDoSed their website, which you can do to just about any public-facing website. The bit about harvesting admin credentials is misleading and doesn't appear to be referring to their takedown of the CIA site. They did get that info from the US Senate site though, which is still problematic.
Correct. Hacking a website, or even hacking admin files, is nowhere near the same thing as accessing classified data. Unless things have changed since my time, the classified data is on a separate intranet that's air-gapped from the Internet. That may be different now (which would be unfortunate). In my day, even the hardware connectors for classified data systems were proprietary to the government, so that off-the-shelf equipment such as USB flash drives could not plugged into them.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Children need to be protected, even from their own parents in certain instances.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe awkward conversations are what is needed these days to get people to start taking Jesus seriously rather than coddling and enabling everyone in their social and psychological (and spiritual) dysfunctions.

If that includes taking the evidence around Jesus seriously, I am good with that. If you want to accept Jesus-based rules for yourself and other Jesus-believers, that is fine with me. As for the rest of us and the law consent will do fine, thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That goes hand in hand with the persecution Christians are suffering world wide :oldthumbsup:
Which US Christians mock with their whining about being persecuted here.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Which US Christians mock with their whining about being persecuted here.

We're not really persecuted here no.
But biblically we're told that there will be a global level persecution that will result in beheadings and the inability to buy or sell, which, you can't do without a really hardcore surveillance state and abolition of cash.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
wouldn't call acknowledging a problem "mocking it"
US Christians squalling "persecution!" at every imagined slight mocks others who actually are being persecuted for their faith. It's like someone with a chipped nail calling themselves an amputee.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
US Christians squalling "persecution!" at every imagined slight mocks others who actually are being persecuted for their faith. It's like someone with a chipped nail calling themselves an amputee.
Squalling persecution because they stand in solidarity with other Christians who are being persecuted around the world?:scratch:
Need a better example than a broad generalization.
I'm a simple man after all

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Squalling persecution because they stand in solidarity with other Christians who are being persecuted around the world?:scratch:\
US Christians who cry persecution are far too busy nursing their imagined grievances to think of anything beyond the borders of their country,.
Need a better example than a broad generalization.
US Christians crying persecution over not being given price of place for their monuments on government property to the exclusion of all others.
I'm a simple man after all
A common shtick around here.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If we were to take the sentence "you must identify yourself and be vetted in order to access inappropriate content sites in order to reduce harm and make sure that people who shouldn't have access to them, don't", and replaced "inappropriate content sites" with "guns", fair to assume that some people supporting this law would be changing their answer a bit?

That's not to say they're an exact equivalent. However, I notice some on the more conservative side of the spectrum are perfectly willing to accept a certain amount of collateral damage in order to preserve easy access to certain things (that carry certain risks), but then for other things that could constitute a risky behavior, they're perfectly fine with sacrificing privacy/convenience in the name of mitigation.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If we were to take the sentence "you must identify yourself and be vetted in order to access inappropriate content sites in order to reduce harm and make sure that people who shouldn't have access to them, don't", and replaced "inappropriate content sites" with "guns", fair to assume that some people supporting this law would be changing their answer a bit?

That's not to say they're an exact equivalent. However, I notice some on the more conservative side of the spectrum are perfectly willing to accept a certain amount of collateral damage in order to preserve easy access to certain things (that carry certain risks), but then for other things that could constitute a risky behavior, they're perfectly fine with sacrificing privacy/convenience in the name of mitigation.
no I already thought the ID for inappropriate content sites was a bad idea mostly because inappropriate content sites are hives of computer viruses and identity theft already, it'll just make matters worse.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The thing about this law or any law in the moral arena is that it can never really get at why some things are done. Why is there an epidemic of inappropriate content addiction? What makes men (and I bet probably at least some women, though obviously not nearly as many) 'resort' to inappropriate content rather than trying to create and maintain healthy relationships with their spouses? On the other side of the coin, what drives the production of this stuff, other than the obvious love of money? What kind of world do we live in where a young girl might think that making these movies is her best option for becoming financially independent or solvent?

The U.S. south is going to do as it does, so I don't think that the law itself is worth commenting on (would I have passed it? No, but that doesn't mean that I'm okay with any of the above), except perhaps to note how short-sighted I think it is to imagine that this is going to make a real change in the people of Louisiana's consumption habits. Just like any of the high-visibility scandals involving prostitution or infidelity (e.g., Jim Baker, Jerry Falwell Jr. and his wife etc.), it will be awkward and embarrassing for those directly involved to be found out, but that alone is not going to stop anyone who is already participating in such things from doing so, because if that were enough then presumably they wouldn't have engaged in them in the first place.

Maintaining relationships requires work--a lot of it. Relationships can be contentious at times. With relationships, there is also a risk of failure and/or rejection.

Watching inappropriate content requires very little work (other than earning the money to pay for it), is not contentious of in itself, and there is no risk of rejection or failure.

As is human nature, the easy road is the road frequently taken.

Upvote 0