New Interpretation of Name of the Beast

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,408.00
Faith
Christian
Hello everyone, I wanted to provide a new interpretation of how 666 relates to the beast’s name. I’ll post the passage and then comment on it.

“This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭13‬:‭18‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The phrase, this calls for wisdom could be a nod to Persian wisdom, such as the Magi that followed the star to Bethlehem to anoint Jesus. If this is the case, which I view as viable, then 666 could point to a year in the Iranian calendar. As I checked Wikipedia (I know, not a scholarly source), the Iranian year 666 was 47-46 BC. This was the year that Caesar was declared dictator for life.

Every emperor, even the Holy Roman Emperors and Ottoman Emperors, used the title Caesar. Revelation 17 specifically calls out the cult of Caesar for its involvement in persecuting the saints. Caesar was also used by the Germans and Russians as Kaiser and Tsar, respectively. One thing has been common with people that bore that title: The were ruthless to the Jews.

Since the times of the Gentiles are not yet complete, though I believe it may be complete very soon, it seems sensible to believe that the beast that rises from the Abyss in Revelation 11 and 17 is a revived version of the Roman Empire. Given the locations of nations in Daniel 11 and Ezekiel 38, I think Turkey might try to revive the Ottoman Empire under a caliphate. This would Caesar become the title of a ruler once more.

Thoughts?

shadowhunter

+collaboratively study, ~ debate, -fight.
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
✟60,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no need to turn to Persian Wisdom. Hebrew wisdom will do.

Ps 78:2 I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:
Pr 1:6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.

Why look for a secular meaning when Jesus said it speaks of him?

1 ¶ The Revelation of Jesus Christ, - it is about Jesus
which God gave unto him, - given to Jesus. John is not mentioned yet, the pronoun cannot refer to him. Before or after resurrection? Before. After he had omniscience.
to shew unto his servants - Jesus taught the disciples
things which must shortly come to pass; - the cross
and he sent and signified [it] by his angel - Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to remind them of what they were taught before the cross
unto his servant John: - John has been reminded of what he was taught by Jesus about the cross before the cross.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone, I wanted to provide a new interpretation of how 666 relates to the beast’s name. I’ll post the passage and then comment on it.

“This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.”

The phrase, this calls for wisdom could be a nod to Persian wisdom, such as the Magi that followed the star to Bethlehem to anoint Jesus. If this is the case, which I view as viable, then 666 could point to a year in the Iranian calendar. As I checked Wikipedia (I know, not a scholarly source), the Iranian year 666 was 47-46 BC. This was the year that Caesar was declared dictator for life.

Every emperor, even the Holy Roman Emperors and Ottoman Emperors, used the title Caesar. Revelation 17 specifically calls out the cult of Caesar for its involvement in persecuting the saints. Caesar was also used by the Germans and Russians as Kaiser and Tsar, respectively. One thing has been common with people that bore that title: The were ruthless to the Jews.

Since the times of the Gentiles are not yet complete, though I believe it may be complete very soon, it seems sensible to believe that the beast that rises from the Abyss in Revelation 11 and 17 is a revived version of the Roman Empire. Given the locations of nations in Daniel 11 and Ezekiel 38, I think Turkey might try to revive the Ottoman Empire under a caliphate. This would Caesar become the title of a ruler once more.

Thoughts?
Hi Barraco, I don't think 666 has any connection to the Iranian calendar. The person when he becomes the beast-king, may take on the title of being called Caesar, as being dictator over the final form of the EU, the Roman Empire manifested in the end times.

But what we are looking for, imo, is a personal name rather than a title. I could be wrong. It could turn out to be some sort of title.

"Caesar", as far as letter count does not add to 666.

At least you are thinking about figuring out the name of the beast person. Keep at it.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems to me that the Revelator expected the folks to whom he was writing, presumably the Seven Churches, would know who he was talking about.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0