New House speaker has reputation for being a man of faith, family and conservative convictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2005
✟185,317.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Ironic because that's precisely how we know that Donald Trump committed rape. He wasn't convicted of rape but was found guilty of lying about it, and slandering his victim. Cost him millions and now is going to cost him again, because he went out and did it again after losing in court.
Remember, Clinton was proven wrong due to sperm on her blue dress after he said he did not have sexual relations with her.

We do not know if he (Trump) raped her. Sure, we can believe the woman, which I do, but we cannot claim he did if the court did not determine that.

They did not prove he raped the woman. What they did say is he sexually abused her.

"Jurors rejected Carroll’s claim that she was raped, finding Trump responsible for a lesser degree of sexual abuse."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟335,298.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll just throw this out: When he was president his MO was to lose in the lower courts and win in the higher courts. But the election fraud thingee was time sensitive. I mean, Keri Lake lost too. I don't have a lot of faith in lower court judges. Some of them wear their bias on their sleeves.

Except that he lost many of them with judges that were appointed by Trump; also, most were appealed and also failed on appeal.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except that he lost many of them with judges that were appointed by Trump; also, most were appealed and also failed on appeal.
Though I agree, that's why I said it was his MO. It didn't happen every single time, but his track record for losing and then winning was pretty good. Especially considering Biden's MO which seemed to be the exact opposite. I always laugh at the 9th being the most overturned higher court. Judges are just people, and sometimes power can go to your head. But the higher the court, the more "reputation to preserve" they have.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟465,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That would be like claiming that Donald Trump didn't try to overthrow the election because

Ironic because that's precisely how we know that Donald Trump committed rape. He wasn't convicted of rape but was found guilty of lying about it, and slandering his victim. Cost him millions and now is going to cost him again, because he went out and did it again after losing in court.
Not only did Trump not "overthrow the election" (he gave a speech), but he was not charged with "rape" either. It was a conviction for "sexual abuse" and "defamation". Of course facts don't matter when there is an agenda:

While a significant victory for Carroll, viral headlines or tweets in some cases misrepresented the verdict as one in which Trump was "found guilty of sexually assaulting Carroll," and that resulted in Trump becoming a "a convicted sexual abuser."Was Trump 'Found Guilty' of Sexually Assaulting E. Jean Carroll?

Get your facts correct before making false statements.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟255,312.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A man of faith, famly, and conservative values he may well be.

But he is, by any standards, at least somewhat nutty.

To wit: In a 2016 sermon, Johnson blamed school shootings on the teaching of evolution.

How a presumably mentally competent human being can believe such nonsense is baffling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A man of faith, famly, and conservative values he may well be.

But he is, by any standards, at least somewhat nutty.

To wit: In a 2016 sermon, Johnson blamed school shootings on the teaching of evolution.

How a presumably mentally competent human being can believe such nonsense is baffling.
I think the teaching of evolution could play a part, to some degree. After all, if one truly believes that human beings are simply an accident of nature, each person is completely free to choose what he defines as moral, and could decide it is not immoral to kill one. After all, if one believes there is no creator, one is ones own god.

Reactions: Derf
Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟100,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He tried to over throw an election. He should have been fired. If it wasn't for that. I would say he should work at a church. Not governing mine or other people private business.
He just got elected to the position of Speaker. Are you trying to overthrow his election? Are you concerned that he'll continue to erode abortion "rights"? Is it governing private business to prosecute someone for murdering her baby?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟667,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thread cleaned mod hat.jpg

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟376,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not only did Trump not "overthrow the election"
He tried. He attempted to get republican officials in George to "find" him enough new votes to win. He told his followers to go to the Capitol and "fight like hell" to overturn the results his own AG and dozens of judges (including some he appointed) told him were fair and legal. Only after it was clear that his insurrection failed, did he tell his mob to go home. BTW, many of them since arrested and convicted of those crimes admitted in court that they did it because Trump told them to do it.

but he was not charged with "rape" either.
But the court did find that he had raped her, and then slandered her by denying the fact. That's why he owes her millions of dollars. And will owe her more, since after he lost the case, he went out and slandered her again. Now the court is deciding how much more he'll pay for it.

Judge Clarifies: Yes Trump was found to have raped Jean Carroll

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟465,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He tried. He attempted to get republican officials in George to "find" him enough new votes to win. He told his followers to go to the Capitol and "fight like hell" to overturn the results his own AG and dozens of judges (including some he appointed) told him were fair and legal. Only after it was clear that his insurrection failed, did he tell his mob to go home. BTW, many of them since arrested and convicted of those crimes admitted in court that they did it because Trump told them to do it.

But the court did find that he had raped her, and then slandered her by denying the fact. That's why he owes her millions of dollars. And will owe her more, since after he lost the case, he went out and slandered her again. Now the court is deciding how much more he'll pay for it.

I know exactly what he did and I've already refuted false statements as you are making.
"I tried to lose 10 pounds". DID I? No, doing it is losing 10 pounds.

No, no rape finding of liability (or the crime) actually occurred. Sexual abuse is a very broad charge in that jurisdiction and excludes rape specifically.

WAPO is paywalled, but he did was NOT "Found to have raped" Jean Carroll. That's a sleight of hand there: What the jury found Donald Trump did to E. Jean Carroll was in fact rape, as commonly understood, even if it didn't fit New York law's narrow definition, says Judge Lewis A. Kaplan.

So....not rape. Can't call it rape. It was a low standard: "more likely than not". Not the criminal standard, by the way, which is why it was filed as it was.

"So it is accurate to say that Donald Trump was liable for battery and defamation, but not that he was found guilty of battery and defamation."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟376,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think the teaching of evolution could play a part, to some degree. After all, if one truly believes that human beings are simply an accident of nature, each person is completely free to choose what he defines as moral, and could decide it is not immoral to kill one. After all, if one believes there is no creator, one is ones own god.
If one truly believes the falsehood that evolutionary theory says that human beings are simply an accident of nature, it's not surprising that they might act in an amoral way. This is perhaps the greatest evil that comes from YE creationism. No doubt some get indoctrinated with this creationist idea and act on it.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟376,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He just got elected to the position of Speaker. Are you trying to overthrow his election?
Personally, I figure the republicans are entitled to the leader that they thing best represents their ideas. This will definitely sharpen the issue of "right to choose"/"right to life." So maybe the next election will be a referendum on that issue.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟376,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I know exactly what he did
I just showed you what he did. That's why he got arrested and is shortly going to be on trial for his crimes.

"I tried to lose 10 pounds". DID I? No, doing it is losing 10 pounds.
So if it was a crime to lose 10 pounds, you'd be O.K. If it was a crime to attempt to lose 10 pounds, you'd be in trouble. This is why Trump got indicted. He didn't manage to overturn the election, but he committed a number of crimes in the attempt.

No, no rape finding of liability (or the crime) actually occurred.
The judge disagrees. And he's the one who gets to decide. Sorry.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/07/19/trump-carroll-judge-rape/

So it is accurate to say that Donald Trump was liable for battery
Sexual battery. He raped her. And the judge so ruled:

Donald Trump raped E. Jean Carroll even though he was found liable only for 'sexual abuse,' judge rules

In an opinion issued on Wednesday, US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who presided over the trial, wrote that the trial evidence demonstrated Trump "raped" Carroll in the plain sense of the word.

"The finding that Ms. Carroll failed to prove that she was 'raped' within the meaning of the New York Penal Law does not mean that she failed to prove that Mr. Trump 'raped' her as many people commonly understand the word 'rape,'" Kaplan wrote. "Indeed, as the evidence at trial recounted below makes clear, the jury found that Mr. Trump in fact did exactly that."

Kaplan's opinion denied a motion from Trump's lawyers to reduce the $2 million in damages the jury awarded Carroll for the injuries she received as a result of Trump's assault on her.

I do see that it's embarrassing to be defending a rapist. But that's what we have here. C'mon, he brags about being able to get away with sexual assault. What did you expect?

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟255,312.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the teaching of evolution could play a part, to some degree. After all, if one truly believes that human beings are simply an accident of nature, each person is completely free to choose what he defines as moral, and could decide it is not immoral to kill one.
You appear to assume that the only way humans can be governed by moral principles is for these principles to be applied from some "divine" source. But this is not the case: it is extremely plausible that, over generations and generations, human beings discovered the practices and behaviors that promote universally desired goals like peace, freedom, and justice and effectively adopted those behaviors as a kind of moral code.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟376,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes. I know a good number of atheists who behave in ethical and moral ways. Some have discussed this with me, and it appears that most of them think that ethical and moral behavior is Intrinsically good. Which is true. That's why God tells us to act that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟328,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, no rape finding of liability (or the crime) actually occurred. Sexual abuse is a very broad charge in that jurisdiction and excludes rape specifically.
Sexual abuse may be a broad charge under New York law, but the accusations against him were specific - that he forcibly digitally (i.e. with his fingers) penetrated her. That is what the jury found that he most likely did and was liable for. Under New York law, that's not considered rape, because New York law narrowly defines rape as forcible penetration with a p*nis (meaning that it would be technically impossible for a woman to rape a man, or a woman to rape another woman - both preposterous notions from the standpoint of reality). So, arguing that it was "just" sexual assault, while technically correct, seems like a really strange hill to die on here. "Oh, sure, he grabbed her, kissed her without her consent, ripped down her pantyhose, and jammed a couple fingers in her v*gina - but that's a-ok, because he didn't stick his d*ck in!"

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟376,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, arguing that it was "just" sexual assault, while technically correct, seems like a really strange hill to die on here.
And this is their hero. From what I've been able to gather, Donald is now losing support from more evangelical Christians, who are starting to realize what he actually is.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Going to California with an aching in my heart
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,585.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
...but he was not charged with "rape" either. It was a conviction for "sexual abuse" and "defamation".
'You are going to vote for a man who sexually assaulted a woman?'
'Well hey, he didn't actually rape her.'

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.