Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you kidding!? You know how lively and fun Gurney is on TAW, imagine the show in the classroom!! ^_^

Oh, they’re dialed in, baby!! (Said in George Costanza voice) ^_^^_^^_^

something taken from personal experience, I guess?

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are you kidding!? You know how lively and fun Gurney is on TAW, imagine the show in the classroom!! ^_^

Oh, they’re dialed in, baby!! (Said in George Costanza voice) ^_^^_^^_^

oh sure, but these kids today don't usually get Seinfeld, Rush, or Dune references.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually use Genesis (Steve Hackett era of course!) and Beatles, George Harrison, Boz Scaggs, and Rush songs in my figurative language lessons. I use Seinfeld clips (clean ones, naturally...), and Dune images during my lessons on settings.

oh sure, but these kids today don't usually get Seinfeld, Rush, or Dune references.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I actually use Genesis (Steve Hackett era of course!) and Beatles, George Harrison, Boz Scaggs, and Rush songs in my figurative language lessons. I use Seinfeld clips (clean ones, naturally...), and Dune images during my lessons on settings.

you're a one man educational service, gurney.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When my kids make mistakes in homework or dictations I sometimes run the short clips of Luke or Vader crying out “Noooooo!”. I’m always finding entertaining things in language, and teach what I cal “stupid English” - using the mistakes to show why we have rules, and what logical meaning you get if you ignore or don’t know them. For example, “try to do” vs “try doing”:
“Try to put some sugar in your tea.” (I launch into theatrics of someone desperately trying to get an imaginary spoon to a cup, crying, “I can’t!”, and then depict friends encouraging the first guy - “You can do it! We believe in you!” and so on.)
(A couple of firemen) “Hey Fred, whaddya say we try putting out the fire?” “I dunno, Barnie, what will happen? “Who knows, let’s give it a shot!”
You’d be surprised how much humor you can milk from mistakes...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my district, which has over 1,000 teachers, 40 schools, the average test scores across all 6th grade classrooms in the district for ELA proficiency is 42%. Most teachers at 6th can get 42% max. My two co-teachers scored 39%.

My scores last year for ELA—-62% proficiency.

I make all my own materials. I’m a machine. I have a pretty robust Teachers Pay Teachers store going now! Last month I almost cleared $200.

I love the challenge of designing materials and the kids appreciate it because they HATE the district state-adopted junk.

you're a one man educational service, gurney.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In my district, which has over 1,000 teachers, 40 schools, the average test scores across all 6th grade classrooms in the district for ELA proficiency is 42%. Most teachers at 6th can get 42% max. My two co-teachers scored 39%.

My scores last year for ELA—-62% proficiency.

I make all my own materials. I’m a machine. I have a pretty robust Teachers Pay Teachers store going now! Last month I almost cleared $200.

I love the challenge of designing materials and the kids appreciate it because they HATE the district state-adopted junk.

it's because you're trying to live in a society, George!

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m getting ripped at the gym. Do you work out?

you should!!

soup at Mandy's? you gotta try the swordfish. best swordfish in the city, gurney. the best!

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

This requires another thread (so if this goes on we should make one) but I learned about the comfy relations between the district with its approved lists and the publishers, and the protectionist net/racket that keeps any competition from better teaching and methodics getting in, while ensuring maximum price on the beautifully crafted, pedagogically junky books, and I also experienced meddling from district flunkies with no idea how to teach ESL but trying to justify their paychecks when I was already an experienced teacher.

Now back to your fun, y’all...

Upvote 0