New Evidence Confirms The Burning Of Jerusalem By Babylonians Described In The Bible

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
C14 dating typically uses multiple tests because of the contamination problem. Generally they estimate a date, then try to confirm it. I used 7 because in the most famous C14 controversy (The 1988 Shroud of Turin test) originally the plan was to use 7 different respected laboratories from the around the world (as experts advised), but at the last moment Cardinal Ballestrero of Turin decided to only use three. This is a major complaint from the Sindologist community.
Oh please, the shroud was a fake and a few diehards won't let go. You need a much much better reason that that.

Upvote 0

JohnElias3773

Jul 28, 2017
Seattle
✟16,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What he said. However, Whilst I don't agree with your argument, I can certainly see why believing that would make this evidence "key".
What he said. However, Whilst I don't agree with your argument, I can certainly see why believing that would make this evidence "key".

I agree with the more evidence aspect but find the use of the word 'Mythical' to be overstated. Not every Christian believes the same. The interpretation of literature from a culture that created it thousands of years ago is not a task to be taken lightly. Jewish intellectuals haven't a problem, for example, with the 6 day creation account, because their ancient commentators told them such writing needed interpretation. Modern day literal interpretations of a translated English Bible, divorced from a knowledge of the culture that produced it, are unlikely to produce any scholastic dividends.

Upvote 0

JohnElias3773

Jul 28, 2017
Seattle
✟16,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh please, the shroud was a fake and a few diehards won't let go. You need a much much better reason that that.

I understand that is the common opinion. But the common opinion is not always correct. I would direct you to the work on the Shroud since the 1988 debacle. See Ian Wilson's work or any of the latest documentation on the Shroud. In fact they just had an international conference. There are plenty of resources online.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the more evidence aspect but find the use of the word 'Mythical' to be overstated. Not every Christian believes the same. The interpretation of literature from a culture that created it thousands of years ago is not a task to be taken lightly. Jewish intellectuals haven't a problem, for example, with the 6 day creation account, because their ancient commentators told them such writing needed interpretation. Modern day literal interpretations of a translated English Bible, divorced from a knowledge of the culture that produced it, are unlikely to produce any scholastic dividends.

Just to let you know I am bowing out of this conversation. As I said before my question related to your use of the word "key", and you answered it to my satisfaction, so thanks for that. I am not interested in a tangential discussion on related topics.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I understand that is the common opinion. But the common opinion is not always correct. I would direct you to the work on the Shroud since the 1988 debacle. See Ian Wilson's work or any of the latest documentation on the Shroud. In fact they just had an international conference. There are plenty of resources online.
It is far more than opinion and I have seen the "work". It is mostly just grasping at straws. There was one case of a not well accepted dating method.

There is no explanation of the date that the shroud has. "Contamination" has been refuted since to contaminate the Shroud with modern C14 to the point where an old one would give the date found would take roughly tripling the mass of the shroud with contaminants.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If we could find evidence for the many things mentioned in the Illiad: the ancient city of Troy, the war, some remains of the Trojan horse, historical evidence for the figures of Paris, Helen, Achilles, etc; would that be evidence for the existence of the Olympian gods?

I'd say no, as I think most probably would.

Now let's ask the same question concerning the Bible: would historical evidence of events, places, and persons mentioned in the Bible be evidence of the supernatural elements of the Biblical narratives; would it be evidence for the existence of the God of Israel?

If the Bible were demonstrated correct on a piece of historical detail, it would not be evidence for the particular claims of faith therein.

Likewise, if the Bible were demonstrated incorrect on a piece of historical detail, it would mean the particular faith claims are false.

Whether or not the core articles of faith of the Christian religion are true or not depend on certain things being historical; but it is not dependent upon every jot and tittle of the Bible being historically or scientifically inerrant.

Speaking purely from the perspective of faith, to make the truth of the Gospel dependent upon a perfectly historically and scientifically inerrant collection of texts is to build one's house upon a foundation of sand. As soon as a wave washes and some point of detail or minutia turns out to not be in place, the entire structure collapses. Biblical inerrancy is a faulty, flimsy, poor foundation for faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If we could find evidence for the many things mentioned in the Illiad: the ancient city of Troy, the war, some remains of the Trojan horse, historical evidence for the figures of Paris, Helen, Achilles, etc; would that be evidence for the existence of the Olympian gods?

I'd say no, as I think most probably would.

Now let's ask the same question concerning the Bible: would historical evidence of events, places, and persons mentioned in the Bible be evidence of the supernatural elements of the Biblical narratives; would it be evidence for the existence of the God of Israel?

If the Bible were demonstrated correct on a piece of historical detail, it would not be evidence for the particular claims of faith therein.

Likewise, if the Bible were demonstrated incorrect on a piece of historical detail, it would mean the particular faith claims are false.

Whether or not the core articles of faith of the Christian religion are true or not depend on certain things being historical; but it is not dependent upon every jot and tittle of the Bible being historically or scientifically inerrant.

Speaking purely from the perspective of faith, to make the truth of the Gospel dependent upon a perfectly historically and scientifically inerrant collection of texts is to build one's house upon a foundation of sand. As soon as a wave washes and some point of detail or minutia turns out to not be in place, the entire structure collapses. Biblical inerrancy is a faulty, flimsy, poor foundation for faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Correct, that the book of Genesis is allegory at best does not refute Christianity. Those that demand it be true make themselves look bad by denying all of reality.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nope. Finding a building that roughly matches the description does not mean that there was a real building. Languages naturally occur. There was no need for any confusion of tongues.

Parts of the story are allegorical, but the tower was real.

Etemenanki - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's the best one that fits all of the facts. Babel = Babylon.

It may have inspired the myth, but that is all.

ETA: In the same way there was probably a flood that inspired the stories that the Noah's Ark tale came from. Of course that does not mean that there was an ark with animals. And of course mankind was never threatened by such a flood.

Upvote 0