New Covenant ...is God's 10 Commandments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Surfer

Jul 5, 2003
Hayden, Idaho, USA
Visit site
✟7,869.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
"I will put my laws (10 commandments) into their minds and write them in their hearts...and I will be a God unto them, and they shall be to me a people", (Hebrews 8:8-10).

The 'New Covenant Christian' will have the Commandments of God upon their hearts and minds...including the 4th commandment, the 7th day Sabbath.

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabath..." Mark2:27

"Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or new moon or a Sabbath day --- things that are a mere shadow of what to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. Let no one keep defrauding you of your prise by delighting in self-abasement and worship of angels, taking his stand on visions ...not holding fast the the head... If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were LIVING in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees like, 'Do not taste, do not touch, do not handle'; these have the APPEARANCE of wisdom in self-made religion and self abasement, and seere treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence..." Col2:16ff

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
"You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. Therefore you are to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death, for whoever does work on it that person shall be cut off from his people. For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall be surely put to death... It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh he ceased from labor and was refreshed." Exodus 31.

It says "six days of work, and the seventh of rest". I don't see any distinction between observing the Sabbath on SATURDAY, or on SUNDAY; if Scripture is true, that Sabbath is made for MAN and not man for the Sabbath, does it really matter WHICH six days are separated by a day of rest? And what of DOCTORS and NURSES? Do they sin in their profession? Are patients to be abandoned to their own devices one day a week? What of a house that has the audaucity to catch fire on the seventh day --- are firemen to shrug and say, "Oh well"?

If the SABBATH was made for MAN, will not God ACCEPT the man who honors God WITH observing the Sabbath --- whether that observation falls on SUNDAY, or even WEDNESDAY? If each works six days and dedicates ONE DAY to God and to rest, will God be honored, or offended?

:)

Upvote 0

Silver Surfer

Jul 5, 2003
Hayden, Idaho, USA
Visit site
✟7,869.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
It says "six days of work, and the seventh of rest". I don't see any distinction between observing the Sabbath on SATURDAY, or on SUNDAY; if Scripture is true, that Sabbath is made for MAN and not man for the Sabbath, does it really matter WHICH six days are separated by a day of rest? And what of DOCTORS and NURSES? Do they sin in their profession? Are patients to be abandoned to their own devices one day a week? What of a house that has the audaucity to catch fire on the seventh day --- are firemen to shrug and say, "Oh well"?

God has provided the information on that quite clearly...in Luke 23:54 through Luke 24:1-3.
If Christ arose from the grave on the 1st day of the week (Sunday)....which day comes 'before' Sunday ?

You ask, 'if it matters which 6 days are separated by a day of rest' ?
Well, to you and me....no.
We don't care which rest day we take.
BUT...to God it matters !
God 'only 'blessed' one day !
God only made one day 'Holy', (Genesis 2:2,3).

Just as a certain tree was to left alone by Adam and Eve.....so is the test of obedience to God's command ..to rest on the day...HE SPECIFIED.
It comes down to whether your will ..is 'with' God's will.....or, whether you are 'against' ..God's will.

Now, as to those people who do good on the Sabbath...such as Doctors, nurses, firemen, .....are they violating the Sabbath by helping people in need ?
Did not Jesus heal on the Sabbath ?

The Sabbath is for the putting away things that are of a secular nature, such as your everyday work activities, mowing the lawn, buying groceries, etc. ...things that God gave you the other 6 days to accomplish.

Does this help in the understanding of Sabbath observance ?

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Sooooo--- if you underwent open heart surgery, and spent a couple of weeks in the hospital, can we count on you to REFUSE treatment and medication one day each week? Be honest now! If it is a terrible crime NOT to faithfully observe the Sabbath, then you cannot accept treatment on such a day; for to DO so will be causing others to SIN!

Can we count on you?

Upvote 0

Jesusmyfriend

Jul 12, 2003
Richmond VA
✟635.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The ten commandments are only the schoolmaster until faith comes. Read the scripture below.

Acts 13:38

38 Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, 39 and by him every one that believes is free from everything from which you could not be free by the Law of Moses. 40 Beware, therefore, unless there come upon you what is said in the prophets: 41 'Behold, you scoffers, and wonder, and perish; for I do a deed in your days, a deed you will never believe, even if one declares it to you."

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Silver Surfer said:
"I will put my laws (10 commandments) into their minds and write them in their hearts...and I will be a God unto them, and they shall be to me a people", (Hebrews 8:8-10).

The 'New Covenant Christian' will have the Commandments of God upon their hearts and minds...including the 4th commandment, the 7th day Sabbath.
[size=+1]The Sabbath was given only to the children of Israel, NOT to all mankind. The ancient Jews considered any non-Jew who observed the Sabbath as worthy of death. The Sabbath commandment is the only commandment which is NOT enjoined on the NT believer.[/size]
  • Ex 31:12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
    14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
    15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
    16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
    17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Ex 35:1 And Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said unto them, These are the words which the LORD hath commanded, that ye should do them.
    2 Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

Lev 23:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.
    3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

Jewish Encyclopedia
    Resh Lakish (d. 278) said, "A Gentile observing the Sabbath deserves death" (Sanh. 58b). This refers to a Gentile who accepted the seven laws of the Noachidæ, inasmuch as "the Sabbath is a sign between God and Israel alone," and it was probably directed against the Christian Jews, who disregarded the Mosaic laws and yet at that time kept up the observance of the Jewish Sabbath. Rabbina, who lived about 150 years after the Christians had changed the day of rest to Sunday, could not quite understand the principle underlying Resh Lakish's law, and, commenting upon it, added: "not even on Mondays [is the Gentile allowed to rest]"; intimating that the mandate given to the Noachidæ that "day and night shall not cease" ("have no rest ") should be taken in a literal sense (Gen. viii. 22)

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=142&letter=G

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silver Surfer

Jul 5, 2003
Hayden, Idaho, USA
Visit site
✟7,869.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Only the true christian understands the Sabbath commandment....Jesus healed on the Sabbath...he has told us to do good on the Sabbath. I know Doctors and nurses that work on the Sabbath, they are doing the Lord's work.

Christ came to show 'how' to keep God's law..."he will magnify the law and make it honorable", (Isaiah 42:21).
Once a person studies the life of Christ, as portrayed in the gospels ...they will then understand the importance of God's law.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Silver Surfer said:

Sorry to burst this legalistic bubble, but you have neither proven that the laws referred in this passage are the 10 Commandments, nor have you established that this prophecy is entirely fulfilled today. You are making great leaps of presumption everywhere without bothering to prove any of it. It is in effect running roughshod over the entire scriptures.

Let's back the truck up a little and examine a correct Biblical thesis, which I will be happy to eventually reveal to you:

The New Covenant is a covenant between the Father and the Son.

The New Covenant can't be the Decalogue anyway as it was given under the Old Covenant, which doesn't exactly make it new.

Your problem is that you merely wish to renew the Old Covenant of work that existed between the LORD and the nation of Israel. This is, alas, always man's way. We, by our very nature, always seek a means for boasting before God.

Ponder that for a while!

Your friendly neighborhood Cordial Calvinist
Woody.

Upvote 0

Silver Surfer

Jul 5, 2003
Hayden, Idaho, USA
Visit site
✟7,869.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
CCWoody said:
Sorry to burst this legalistic bubble, but you have neither proven that the laws referred in this passage are the 10 Commandments, nor have you established that this prophecy is entirely fulfilled today.

Revelation 14:12....Here is the patience of the 'saints'.....here are they that keep the commandments of God...and have the faith of Jesus".

As the new covenant says...'I (God) will put my laws in to their minds and write them in their hearts', (Hebrews 8:10).
Here God shows a people where the new covenant is fulfilled. And this is a Christian church in todays world, and has been here for over a hundred years.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
silver surfer wrote (#11)
"Only the true christian understands the Sabbath commandment"

I'm a true Christian, and I don't belive the same as you. I know the sabbath laws don't apply to the Church.
tulc(who thinks SS should worship when he feels it's right and allow us the same) ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Romans 14:4
Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

[size=-1]Romans 14:5
One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

[size=-1]Romans 14:6
He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

[size=-1]Romans 14:7
For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;

[size=-1]Romans 14:8
for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

[size=-1]Romans 14:9
For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

[size=-1]Romans 14:10
But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.

[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]The King James version adds "and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it." to Romans 14:6

Colossians 2:13
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

[size=-1]Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

[size=-1]Colossians 2:15
[And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

[size=-1]Colossians 2:16
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]:

[size=-1]Colossians 2:17
Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.

[size=-1]Colossians 2:18
Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

The scriptures make room for differences of opinion regarding the remembrance of holy days or Sabbath days. There is nothing wrong with wanting to observe a Sabbath; but it is wrong to judge your brother that does not see things your way. It is equally acceptable to regard everyday alike.

"The 'New Covenant Christian' will have the Commandments of God upon their hearts and minds...including the 4th commandment, the 7th day Sabbath."...........quote by SilverSurfer

In light of the scriptures that I have just shared with you, I do not believe that your position is valid, SilverSurfer. While I admire your zeal in attempting to obey God, I believe that you are misguided. Can you tell me how God is honored by your judgement of your brothers' and sisters' behavior?

I believe that Christ has fulfilled the Law and He is our Sabbath rest. We can cease from our striving for righteousness and rest in the finished work of Christ. We have the righteousness of Christ, and we can now strive to do good to our neighbor and honor God with our bodies without worrying about ordinances that have been nailed to the cross. You are free to disagree, but you have no right to judge me or others that believe as I do.

God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

heb12-2

Aug 7, 2003
✟298.00
1. What day do you lay by in store and why? (1 Cor. 16:1-2)
2. What day do you break bread and why? (Ac. 20:7)
3. Why is there no command anywhere in the New Testament to keep the sabbath?
4. Why is there no example anywhere in the New Testament of sabbath worship for those who were exclusively Christians?
5. How could the sabbath be a sign between God and Israel if you think all nations were expected to keep it? (Ex. 31:17)
6. Are you justified by the old law? (Gal. 5:4)
7. If you keep one Old Testament command, why don't you keep them all? (Gal. 5:3)
8. What did Christ nail to the cross? (Col. 2:14)
9. If you claim to keep the sabbath, why don't you keep it the way it was commanded under the old law?
- Do you ever buy or sell anything on the sabbath? (Neh. 10:31; 13:16-18)
- Why don't you stone your members when they break the sabbath? (Ex. 31:14)
- Why don't you sacrifice lambs on any sabbath, let alone "every sabbath"? (Num. 28:9-10)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.