New churches and renovations are going old school.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trending to Traditional

CODY, Wyoming — When the Monks of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel wanted to design a new church for their Wyoming home, they turned to a building style just as ancient as the 800-year-old Carmelite order itself — Gothic architecture. Designed by Jim McCrery of McCrery Architects in Washington, D.C., its plans call for towering spires, flying buttresses, twin bell towers, wooden trusses, rose windows and more of what typically might be found in Europe’s greatest spaces of worship.

The monks are not alone. Parishes and religious orders across the United States also are turning to traditional design for new churches and renovations.

“That is an enormous change from 10 years ago,” said architect Ethan Anthony of HDB/Cram & Ferguson Architects of Concord, Mass. “I’ve seen it go from nobody even thinking about this to it becoming kind of a cause. It’s a big deal things are happening.”

The trend pushes against the modernist architecture that frequently typified church construction in the second half of the 1900s — and returns to design seen in the first half of that century. In the United States, traditional architecture gave rise to churches such as St. Florian in Hamtramck, Mich. Built with a penny campaign and dedicated in 1928, it is a “most spectacularly huge,” Gothic church, according to Anthony.

Read more: Trending to Traditional | Daily News | NCRegister.com

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If this can be accomplished in environmentally respectful ways, I have no objection.

High ceilings waste energy, but if enough solar panels could be placed on the rooves, or if geothermal energy could provide the heating and cooling, this could be remedied.

I know of a chapel nearby that uses geothermal energy for heating and cooling, but it also takes advantage of available light (giving worshippers beautiful vistas of peaceful pastoral landscapes.)

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If this can be accomplished in environmentally respectful ways, I have no objection.

High ceilings waste energy, but if enough solar panels could be placed on the rooves, or if geothermal energy could provide the heating and cooling, this could be remedied.

I know of a chapel nearby that uses geothermal energy for heating and cooling, but it also takes advantage of available light (giving worshippers beautiful vistas of peaceful pastoral landscapes.)

What about the story in the Bible about the woman with the perfume jar? :)

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's interesting.

Not being sarcastic:
What's the purpose of making the churches look...antique? I guess?

It's giving God our best; making His Temples look beautiful and to give God glory by our efforts to construct for Him temples worthy of His majesty (as far as we can in our own pitiable efforts).

Also, having traditional style Churches gives inspiring ornamentation to the faithful. When you go to such churches, you think to yourself: "This is a Temple of God!" Or: "This is inspiring!"-----Or that's what you ought to be thinking or something to that effect! :p ;)

Just a bit of help.

Pax Christi.

:wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have lived in two parishes with adoration chapels. The first was in the rectory basement. It was contemporary and peaceful. There was a stained glass window with a backlight behind the monstrance. Blue carpet and padded blue chairs (with kneelers) were visually restful. There were no other statues.

There was a guestbook outside where people put prayer requests and testimonies. The testimonies were inspiring.

The one where I live now is completely different. Statues and curtains and distractions all over the place--as visually cluttered as a rural flea market. Some rickety wooden chairs are lined up in rows. I can't quite figure this out, but immigrant groups sometimes gather together, so that a whole crowd is there.

It is a completely different emotional experience, even if all the statues and chatchkes are "traditional." Between the groups whispering in foreign languages and the distracting clutter, it's not a place where I can commune with God....

And so yes, I know what a difference ambience makes--and the contemporary chapel was many times better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Adoration chapels are supposed to be meditative and reflective. When I meditate, I find that fewer distractions are best.

The focus of an Adoration Chapel should be Jesus--that is enough. Anything else is a distraction.

I don't think that Jesus wants his chapel to be a collection of castoffs from Church garage sales.

I often think of the hymn "Be Still My Soul..." We come seeking God in the stillness, not amidst a hundred dust catchers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Not only that but God came to us in a manger and died on a cross. That's not exactly very flashy...

Just keep thinkin about that.

If God took on humiliations and sufferings in order to save us, why must we confine Him to more humiliations and sufferings now ? shouldn't we do the opposite, and give Him the best and most reverent Adoration chapel or church? In so many churches, Jesus is left alone, and people even adorn their homes more beautifully than His Tabernacle - where He is as a prisoner for us.

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,692.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wow! I bet that was tough! ^_^

I guess if I went there on a regular basis, then it wouldn't be a problem. But being there for the first time it was beautiful. I feel the same thing about going to mass with the Pope. I would be too distracted to actually worship.

Here is a 360 degree view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0