Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Impressive. I'd like to declare that to this day, many Christians eat their own young and have relations with barnyard animals. My evidence for that is "I'm sure that in some place on Earth, at some point in the scope of Christian history, someone claiming to be a Christian did both of these things."
Good grief, is your reasoning always this airtight?
"

*sigh* my point exactly. Just because it happens doesn't make them who are doing it christians.

"So you asserted that pagans commit organized attrocities based on a girl you knew in high school that you thought wasn't nice? "

bret you have a good talent for not reading into things even when its ment. That can be a good and bad thing. She did many MORE things then just not be nice..most of them quite against the law.

"To ignore them is to take God out of the context of the Bible."

God has not changed, in all you "readings" did you find that one?

"There's nothing more useless to a discussion than the "

So you're saying that just because it happens less often it is not a valid arguement? Have you ever heard of something called logic ;)

Upvote 0

euphoric

He hates these cans!!
Jun 22, 2002
Visit site
✟8,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by LouisBooth
*sigh* my point exactly. Just because it happens doesn't make them who are doing it christians.

sigh all you want but you're disconnects are getting worse.  It is uhdeniable historical fact that Christians, both in the form of the established church heirarchy and laypeople who made strong claims regarding their christian devotion launched numerous bloody campaigns against people whose beliefs were different from their own.  Does that make all Christians violent or bad?  Of course not.  But the fact remains that Christianity's history in the West has several significant and violent camaigns in it. 

The issue raised originally by Havoc (IIRC) was that Paganism does not have anything remotely similar in it's distinguishable history.  You then made an unsupportable and absurd assertion that pagans were killing people according to the tenets of their faith, just like Christians have throughout the last millenia or so.  This is of course ridiculous because I would bet that you can't name one single organized crusade by a group of pagans, much less an entire continent full of them.  How about a 17th century colony where pagans got together and hung 20 or so Christian women for singing hyms.  Perhaps you could name the Pagan group that burned Christians at the stake for heresy.  Of course there was that continent full of Pagans that sailed accross an ocean and decimated an entire continent full of Christians through disease, famine, slavery, and war.  Oh, wait there wasn't.

bret you have a good talent for not reading into things even when its ment. That can be a good and bad thing. She did many MORE things then just not be nice..most of them quite against the law.

If she went on a Manson family style murder spree, this is still a pathetically lacking example of support for your contention.

So you're saying that just because it happens less often it is not a valid arguement? Have you ever heard of something called logic ;)

I certainly have.  It's what I use to identify ill-conceived attempts to establish moral equivalency between institutionalized violence throughout the history of a religious organization and scattered examples of individuals who are of a particular faith commiting acts of violence.

-brett

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"It is uhdeniable historical fact that Christians, both in the form of the established church heirarchy and laypeople who made strong claims regarding their christian devotion launched numerous bloody campaigns against people whose beliefs were different from their own. "

I agree, people that CLAIM they are christians have done this. That is NOT what the bible says they should do though. If an atheist says, "I am an atheist so all people must bow to me because of it." would you say he is acting correctly under that title? No, because that's not what the true title implies. If you actually read a little you will see that the crusades where done out of a POLITICAL motive and glossed over with "this is christian". Just becuase I put on a rubber glove and run through the street saying I'm a chicken doesn't make it so.

"Paganism does not have anything remotely similar in it's distinguishable history"

And I would disagree. So you think if I can show there is any once recorded event in history that witches did something harmful then you are proven wrong?

another point is that you are creating a strawman you can burn. You're taking an event and saying all christians do this, so we can discount it. Thats not 1. right or 2. honest achidemically (sp).

"history of a religious organization and scattered examples of individuals who are of a particular faith commiting acts of violence."

Here is the jist of your argument. You say that because there are events in which people historically claimed to be christian did this, then christianity as a whole is like this. This is what we in the real world call a strawman. When you want to discuss this topic in a civil way, let me know.

Upvote 0