Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Having been single well into my 30s, I can relate. You get used to doing your thing. But then a combination of loneliness and paranoia sets in, mixed in with the need for female companionship. And before you know it, you are married.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just don't rule it out. You might meet someone who is better than anything you ever dreamed, and is more wonderful than anyone you ever met.

Life has a funny way of upsetting our plans.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, from what others think, nondenominationalists are a free wheeling kind of crew.

Kidding aside, none of the nondenoms have nuns.

Was that nice and alliterative?

I can joke because we none are nuns. I am one and not a nun (well maybe in reality, but not by choice).

Reactions: Jazz Life
Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
:rolleyes:

Sometimes we get fed up with being single, and we do something like this to make it easier to live with...you know, pretend we really *want* to be single...yeah, dat's it, "I like it". Then the moment she bats those gorgeous eyes in your direction, :eek: your coming to grips with being single fades so fast, it'll make your head spin. :)

unless you're so dead inside to the idea, it turns you away or even maybe them....

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
However... There's no good reason to make a "vow" of singleness. God could easily change your heart or situation.

I sometimes feel like getting married doesn't truly make you happy and there's no reason to do it. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
However... There's no good reason to make a "vow" of singleness. God could easily change your heart or situation.

I don't mind being single, and I actually prefer it.

Everything else is too distracting, and I don't have the patience to entertain a relationship that I know will have problems (minor or major.) To me it isn't worth it.

But, that is my personal position on marriage. (I actually am taking a "vow" of celibacy.)

But, you are also 100% right - despite all of my efforts to stay away from a relationship, God may have other plans. My last relationship surprised me - as I was even more jaded and cynical about love then than I am now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
So getting married is basically a lie?

This is something the disciples converse with Christ about.

Marriage was supposed to represent the spiritual union of God and His creation by giving us that physical analogue. But, none of us throughout history have actually fully grasped the totality of marriage. For some, it is a business arrangement. For some, marriage is an identity, or a means to an end.

If you can't be married, you shouldn't get married. And, marriage (especially today) is about as far removed from the original idea as can be. It is an eternal bond that is never supposed to be broken - least of all by word, or pen.

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nice, as a single person you have enough time to serve God, it's a good vocation

you do realize the majority who are single most if not all of their lives do no such thing. I am a workaholic. Many others are too. I have friends I haven't spoken to in months because of the amount of work we all have. My uncle is 61, never married no kids and just joins a bunch of clubs like ham radio, car clubs, ect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I want to live for the lord without any thing or anyone standing in the way.

If that's the case, maybe rephrase your original statement as "I feel God is calling me to remain single." There may be a difference between what you want and what God is calling you to do.

Upvote 0