Nervous Republicans See Trump Sinking, and Taking Senate With Him

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
More likely is that the president will postpone the election for a year or two when the second wave comes in the fall.

well I'm all for president pelosi but not sure even trump is dumb enough to want that...oh wait maybe he is.

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well I'm all for president pelosi but not sure even trump is dumb enough to want that...oh wait maybe he is.
As mentioned earlier, if the election was to be postponed (it can't, but let's just play), that would mean in addition to the president's term ending in January, all house Representatives end their terms too. So there's nobody in the house, so no speaker of the house, and no representative pelosi

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
As mentioned earlier, if the election was to be postponed (it can't, but let's just play), that would mean in addition to the president's term ending in January, all house Representatives end their terms too. So there's nobody in the house, so no speaker of the house, and no representative pelosi

There would be a Pro Tempore of the Senate available though (next in line for the Oval Office). At the moment it is Chuck Grassley of Iowa. However, Congress gets installed (or not installed in this scenario) a couple of weeks before the president. Without an election the Democrats would gain a majority in the senate (more republicans are up for re-election). Traditionally it goes to the longest serving member from the majority party so it would be Diane Feinstein of California would become President under this scenario.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,570.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There would be a Pro Tempore of the Senate available though (next in line for the Oval Office). At the moment it is Chuck Grassley of Iowa. However, Congress gets installed (or not installed in this scenario) a couple of weeks before the president. Without an election the Democrats would gain a majority in the senate (more republicans are up for re-election). Traditionally it goes to the longest serving member from the majority party so it would be Diane Feinstein of California would become President under this scenario.
Also assumes that the governors of states that allow it don't appoint Senators to fill the gaps.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Also assumes that the governors of states that allow it don't appoint Senators to fill the gaps.

If the Governors were to refill all the slots and pick the party they are a part of for the replacements, I believe we would have a 49-49 split plus Sanders (VT) and King (ME) who caucus with the Democrats so the pro tempore would be a Democrat.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think the argument I heard against that is, they wouldn't want to create a advantage to either side so would rather keep the status quo

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You have got to be familiar with Cloward Piven and Saul Alinsky. The left has been using their strategies forever. I'm not going to do the research for you, but if you look it up you'll find it.

That's the usual right-wing talking point at least.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have got to be familiar with Cloward Piven and Saul Alinsky. The left has been using their strategies forever. I'm not going to do the research for you, but if you look it up you'll find it.

QFT -

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

The right has been using their strategies as well... if you were familiar with them, you'd know this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

It’s actually extremely funny that you’d bring up Alinsky..

Wiki said:
In the 2000s Rules for Radicals did develop as a primer for middle-class moblization, but it was of a kind and in a direction—the return to "vanished verities"—that Alinsky had feared. As did William F. Buckley in the 1960s, a new generation of libertarian, right-wing populist, and conservative activists seemed willing to admire Alinsky's disruptive organizing talents while rejecting his social-justice politics. Rules for Radicals, and adaptations of the book, began circulating among Republican Tea Party activists. According to spokesman Adam Brandon, the conservative non-profit organization FreedomWorks, distributed a short adaptation of Alinsky's work, Rules for Patriots, through its entire network. Former Republican House Majority Leader Dick Armey is also reported to have given copies of Alinsky's book to leaders of the Tea Party movement[62]. In Rules for Conservative Radicals (2009) Michael Patrick Leahy, an early Tea Party leader, offered "sixteen rules for conservative radicals based on lessons from Saul Alinsky, the Tea Party Movement, and the Apostle Paul".[63]

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
That's the usual right-wing talking point at least.

-CryptoLutheran

That's what they say when they know it's true but don't want to admit it. That's okay these days because the right is learning from them now and doing some if the same things. It's sad really. And quite frankly disturbing.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It’s actually extremely funny that you’d bring up Alinsky..

So you do know!

Now if you go back to what I said you can see the truth in it. The left started it at the right has now picked it up. They are not as good at it yet, but they are getting there. They now see how good it works.

And what's interesting is the left hates it! What the left has done for years is now being used against them and they cry foul! Sometimes it's tough to get a taste of your own medicine.

But that hasn't and won't stop the left, they will just double down.

Now it's becoming a war and I don't like it.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So you do know!

Now if you go back to what I said you can see the truth in it. The left started it at the right has now picked it up. They are not as good at it yet, but they are getting there. They now see how good it works.

And what's interesting is the left hates it! What the left has done for years is now being used against them and they cry foul! Sometimes it's tough to get a taste of your own medicine.

But that hasn't and won't stop the left, they will just double down.

Now it's becoming a war and I don't like it.

You’re talking about a guy who developed community organizing methods in the 60’s and claiming that means the left have always been hyper partisan and divisive. It’s very silly.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You’re talking about a guy who developed community organizing methods in the 60’s and claiming that means the left have always been hyper partisan and divisive. It’s very silly.
That sanitized characterization of it might be called silly, I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's what they say when they know it's true but don't want to admit it. That's okay these days because the right is learning from them now and doing some if the same things. It's sad really. And quite frankly disturbing.

The only mention of Alinsky I have ever encountered has been from those on the right who accuse the left of using Alinsky's tactics, and then say that the right should co-opt those tactics against the left.

Which leads me to believe that Saul Alinsky is just another "leftist bogeyman" which the right uses to scare each other with.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The only mention of Alinsky I have ever encountered has been from those on the right who accuse the left of using Alinsky's tactics, and then say that the right should co-opt those tactics against the left.

Which leads me to believe that Saul Alinsky is just another "leftist bogeyman" which the right uses to scare each other with.

-CryptoLutheran

No that's because they use his tactics because they have for so long they don't need to call it out. It's been so ingrained in the left that they just do it now and most of them probably don't even know where they came from. The right has figured out that the tactics can be effective. And now the right is using them too. And the left doesn't like it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

-CryptoLutheran

No that's because they use his tactics because they have for so long they don't need to call it out. It's been so ingrained in the left that they just do it now and most of them probably don't even know where they came from. The right has figured out that the tactics can be effective. And now the right is using them too. And the left doesn't like it.

I don’t believe most conservatives have read Rules for Radicals. I suspect they’ve all just heard about it from their preferred propagandists and repeated what are effectively ghost stories. I haven’t read it but I’ve got it on request from the library and fully expect to be disappointed with its banality.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,704.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I don’t believe most conservatives have read Rules for Radicals. I suspect they’ve all just heard about it from their preferred propagandists and repeated what are effectively ghost stories. I haven’t read it but I’ve got it on request from the library and fully expect to be disappointed with its banality.
Be prepared for a rather boring read. It was written some time ago. Here's a good article on Alinskis rules.

Saul Alinsky's 13 Tried-and-True Rules for Creating Meaningful Social Change | Open Culture

Saul Alinsky’s: The Progressives Rules for Radicals

This is just evidence as to the truth of what I have been saying. The progressive left started all this and you can see how tactics have remained tried and true with some variations.

• Haha
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Be prepared for a rather boring read. It was written some time ago. Here's a good article on Alinskis rules.

Saul Alinsky's 13 Tried-and-True Rules for Creating Meaningful Social Change | Open Culture

Saul Alinsky’s: The Progressives Rules for Radicals

This is just evidence as to the truth of what I have been saying. The progressive left started all this and you can see how tactics have remained tried and true with some variations.
573ECBBB-CE01-4718-B22E-AC3D92BF2962.jpeg
Hahaha, no, it hasn’t. The premise is false, erroneous conclusions drawn.

The only ones using it now are some “conservative operatives”.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0