Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Lamech is the first polygamist. If some men have many some have none. Polygamy creates highly competitive males.

Many examples of polygamy in the OT, Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon --- but nothing there about "we need to impregnate women and the only way is to be a polygamist". Nor even "we can't be a polygamist without being the most powerful male"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Angels were not given the ability to pro-create ... they neither marry ... nor are taken in marriage.

the sons of God were the descendents of Seth that were true to the Lord. The daughters of men were the daughters of Cain's descendents who had not the knowledge of God preserved.

No such thing as hybrid humans (angel/human) ... not then .... not now.

Daughters of men ... not hybrids.
And that is how the Bible settles it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They are humans.

: And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt. If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.

here is described everything required to be Nephilim. Lamech being the first.
What makes Lamech "Nephilim" in that verse?

Cain rose up and killed Able. If all it takes the act of murdering another human - that would make Cain Nephilim in your model.
How does Murder make someone a Nephilim? That is 180 degreess off.
That is a case of you and I agreeing on a point here.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Then he needs to keep studying. That the Nephilim were sons of God means that they were Angels
no it doesn't as the Bible shows.
ONE of the groups given that title is the sinless being in heaven (Angels for the sake of argument) in Job 1
But the Bible also says Humans that follow God also have that title Rom 8:14 as noted before.
, a direct creation of God. Every instance in the OT where it says sons of God is talking about Angels.
No Bible writer in OT or NT refers to the 37 books of what we call the OT as "Old Testament". For them it was all "scripture".

It has the same meaning in all cases - it is a follower of God who is considered in the family of God as His children, An obedient child.

Enoch would be an example of one -- and so also Noah in his day.

In any case the Gen 6 case for Nephilim explicitly says they originate BEFORE the sons of God intermarry with the daughters of Cain.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But the Bible also says Humans that follow God also have that title Rom 8:14 as noted before.

John 1:12 comes first.

John 1:12

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:.../KJV

So we don't start out as sons of God. When we believe we are given the power to become sons of God and later after study and learning to be led by the Spirit, we can then call ourselves sons of God.

Your other point have already been thoroughly debunked and the teachings about it are widespread now. The Sethites weren't so godly. If they were so Godly then why werent they saved from the flood?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

John 1:12 comes first.
Agreed
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:.../KJV
I also have that one in my list for "sons of God" in a prior post.
So we don't start out as sons of God.
Indeed. In the case of humans we start out as lost sinners with a sinful nature. But having accepted the "one and only Gospel" where as the OT text of Jer 31:31-34 says - we are adopted into the family of God -- we become sons of God. This is how it is that Enoch is taken to heaven in Gen 5, it is how Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory - in Matt 17 -- even before the cross.

Gal 1:6-9 only one Gospel
Gal 3:8 the gospel was preached to Abraham

When we believe we are given the power to become sons of God and later after study and learning to be led by the Spirit, we can then call ourselves sons of God.
To be called the sons of God "to become the sons of God" -- amen.
The Sethites weren't so godly. If they were so Godly then why werent they saved from the flood?
There is an entire godly line in Gen 5 going right down to Noah's day.
But in those later generations they start to intermarry and this is how it is that the light goes out "YE are the light of the world" such that the world that then was - was left in darkness.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Are the Nephilim human or sub-human? Will they rise again on the last day?

The nephlim were ordinary human beings. Scripture calls them heroes of legend and men of renown. Beyond that, we don't know much of anything. Mainstream Jewish and Christian commentary, stretching back centuries, fairly consistently understands that the terms "sons of God" and "daughters of men" are most likely references to two groups of people.

The fantastical and fabulous theory of nephilim as near-demigods has more in common with pagan myths than anything written in Holy Scripture. And, to be frank, I actually think a good argument can be made that at least some of the Enochian literature--where this idea originates--is directly influenced by Greek myths.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The nephlim were ordinary human beings. Scripture calls them heroes of legend and men of renown. Beyond that, we don't know much of anything. Mainstream Jewish and Christian commentary, stretching back centuries, fairly consistently understands that the terms "sons of God" and "daughters of men" are most likely references to two groups of people.

The fantastical and fabulous theory of nephilim as near-demigods has more in common with pagan myths than anything written in Holy Scripture. And, to be frank, I actually think a good argument can be made that at least some of the Enochian literature--where this idea originates--is directly influenced by Greek myths.

-CryptoLutheran
Thanks for the info! :)

Upvote 0

benadamm

Mar 30, 2019
arizona
✟18,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Many examples of polygamy in the OT, Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon --- but nothing there about "we need to impregnate women and the only way is to be a polygamist". Nor even "we can't be a polygamist without being the most powerful male"
The polygamy initiated by Lamech wasn't an instance of a case here or there but became world wide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums