Myrtle Beach
✟15,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My church is very small and we have lost our pastor. The average age is between 65 and 70. We need to bring young people into the church. I am building a website http://www.solidrock-baptist-church.com and hope to use it to bring younger people into the church. Any ideas on how to bring people into the church would be appreciated.

OwainK

May 9, 2017
North Wales
✟38,815.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My church is very small and we have lost our pastor. The average age is between 65 and 70. We need to bring young people into the church. I am building a website http://www.solidrock-baptist-church.com and hope to use it to bring younger people into the church. Any ideas on how to bring people into the church would be appreciated.

Use social media to raise awareness of this church that it's out there, so people see it's there. You could also do an ad in the local newspaper, but that'd be expensive, still might draw some people in though.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Attracting younger people seems to a problem in many churches. Maybe have youth nights with special music and speakers. Most importantly though, stay true to your beliefs, regardless of the age disparity within the church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Andy. The challenge you have taken up is a formidable one, all right. I took a look at your website and thought that it is attractive, easily read, and informative. But I just feel(and some of this is from first hand experience) that people, particularly young ones, don't respond well to websites. If they come upon yours, I think it would be good to have that page link to a Facebook page that you also have set up.

I'm not a fan of Facebook, but this seems to be a growing trend, to the extent that I'm noticing how many churches and other organizations don't have much on their websites--if they continue to maintain them at all. They seem to want to send readers straightaway to a Facebook page.

Younger people have moved on to other social media, but some of those are of a different character and I think that Facebook still remains popular with many in that age group.

Also, your website, although good, didn't seem to me to play up the idea you are most interested in promoting, i.e. young people welcome (assuming that you mean teens and young adults). What you would add, I don't know, but maybe you could think about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I are 35/36. One of the biggest parts of a church service that I (and even more so, my wife) want to hear is a sermon that relates to how we can apply that week's reading to our life actively, or how it can comfort us in a struggle. A sermon about getting saved is great....but we already are saved, and I need a sermon that can help me in my walk with Christ on a daily basis.

Personally, I also want a weekly communion service available, but being Baptist, that may not be what your congregation wants.

Also, maybe have a weekly evening men's/women's bible study and get together? I see you have the women's lunch on a week day and the men's on Saturday at 8am. This is great, and I would keep it up possibly, but if a woman works during the week they will never be able to make the lunch. And a 8am breakfast is fun, maybe monthly, but a weekly evening men's study would be easier for many younger men to make.....let's face it, many men between 16 and 25 just do not want to get up at 8am on a Saturday, but they might come to a men's group for an hour or so in the evening. Personally, I would recommend a Tuesday night for the men's and women's groups to get together, or possibly after the Wednesday service.

Like Albion said, have a Facebook, and make it active. Have a post twice a week, make it relevant to something happening in the news, relevant to people's every day activities, something happening at church that weekend. Just have activity on the Facebook page. Nothing is worse than having a Facebook and then leaving it inactive, that is worse than not having one at all. I like to see pictures of the church (maybe a picture tour, no people in them), what it is I am going to see when I get there to visit, a short video of a sermon and part of the worship experience would also be great. Basically, I want to know what it is I am going to see when I get to a service.

Lastly, resist imitating the "seeker service" seen in many mega churches. That has an appeal to some people, but it to me, it is the most dangerous as it has little substance. But maybe that is just me. A modern, active, theologically sound, and popular service does not have to be a seeker service, and so many people seem to miss this point.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would go to your church if it wasn't for the fact that it was all the way in SC.

And maybe you can arrange for your pastor and some volunteers to speak at colleges or high schools. You can spread the message of God and talk about your church.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And maybe you can arrange for your pastor and some volunteers to speak at colleges or high schools. You can spread the message of God and talk about your church.

Oh, good idea. Get some younger volunteers (ages 18-24) to hand out printed invites on a college campus for a college night. I remember when I was in college going to several churches that had a Christian band play, it was very popular. These bands were "rock" or "alternative" music, and it was very popular.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, have child care available during the group study nights. Many young families will attend a group study if there is child care available, but if there is not they tend to stay home. Many will be happy for the opportunity to spend some time with some friends, people of the same gender, without the children. If you have care available, make it known and advertise it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
when you say young..do u mean teens?

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This a problem all over the place ! Move your format to a somewhat more contemporary one. Also today's young folks and even older ones often, are into social media and electronic contacts. All you have to do is look online or at TBN or the Hillsong channel and you can see what is packing churches with 60,000 people per service. Modern entertainment and fresh feel good messages. So if you cut it someplace in between you should grow. The key to growth is most definitely bringing in the younger crowd. I saw a church close it's doors as the older folks died off or moved away, without a young draw well it closed it's doors. And the messages there were like diamonds and rubies in quality, that doesn't bring in the young.

On the other hand we have a mini mega church locally, the messages are baby Christian grade at best but they have a modern band and classes if people want them. They have basically a theater grade big screen and show things like Greg Laurie's Harvest Ministry he does in football stadiums where 2,000 people a night come to the Lord three nights running.

Somehow we have to modernize but not compromise.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lastly, resist imitating the "seeker service" seen in many mega churches. That has an appeal to some people, but it to me, it is the most dangerous as it has little substance. But maybe that is just me.

Amen to this! Speaking as someone in her mid-30s, I can say that many young people are seeking truth, integrity and a church which doesn't change to conform to the world...especially on beliefs.

Personally though, I don't think it has to be modern looking, contemporary, etc to appeal to those who are younger. It appeals to some, but many are actually looking for a more traditional style service.

To the OP, give opportunities for ministry to younger people, reach out to the community in social ways (many young people are looking for churches that help with those who are struggling and individuals / families that need help), and don't water down truth. Along side that, Bible studies and gatherings for the youth outside of the Sunday service are also helpful. Embracing families is also very important.

Last edited:
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Andy1947

Jun 29, 2017
Myrtle Beach
✟15,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Use social media to raise awareness of this church that it's out there, so people see it's there. You could also do an ad in the local newspaper, but that'd be expensive, still might draw some people in though.
Thank you. Other then Facebook what social media can I use?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I would not recommend any others. They are more in the style of gossip, and the language can be rather tasteless. I also don't see many churches venturing there, even though I do see many that have set up a Facebook page.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I would not recommend any others. They are more in the style of gossip, and the language can be rather tasteless. I also don't see many churches venturing there, even though I do see many that have set up a Facebook page.
Agreed, although, if the posts are relatively short one can also post to Twitter with minimal effort. There are some platforms that you can use (free) that will post to several social media sites at the same time.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
having a Fb page isnt wot will cut it. Its that friends are talking abt it on FB and they have to have a reason to do that. Id go there to be with my friends so the question for your church is - what would make teens wanna hangout round your church? What are you offering?

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As someone who is in his 20s, I can tell you that it is not the relatable sermons, the contemporary music, or the trendy graphics on large screens that will get younger people into church. Its true relationships with the members of Christ that will draw people. Not just sip on coffee and say hi once a week on a Sunday kind of friendship, but true friendship where people do life together, not just in a building, but outside of the church building. Where the bonds people make are more than superficial. Where one can truly share their sins, failures, cares, worries, triumphs, and wins and the other person actually cares. Where we can fulfill the law of Christ and carry each others burdens. Where we sit together in each others home and share meals.
The sermons may be great, but if the youth come in, sit, listen, and leaven with no connection, they will not stay for long. First, understand that the church is not a building.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you and some others in your church should reach out and meet a number of younger families and get to know them. Find out what is important to them. Find out what you as individuals and the church can do for them. Ask them bluntly what they think of the website and the church, and very graciously and thankfully listen to their feedback. To some extent, getting new people into a church is not so much a matter of proper advertising and promotion but rather making actual relationships and sharing the love of Christ tangibly. Once you have a core of younger families that call your church home and are a very visible part of it and making their mark on it, it will be a lot easier to attract in younger visitors (who will come back again) via promotions.

I've hemmed and hawed about leaving this paragraph in or not. I've decided to because it is important and I sincerely apologize for the momentary reaction it will probably cause. My 5 second gut reaction of the front page of the website was ?puppets? and a lot of people with gray hair in the choir and sitting in the congregation. The initial impression (whether right or wrong) created with me was of a church that hasn't changed much in decades and is happy with it. Now, my first impression doesn't matter. I'm a guy in my mid 50s from Wisconsin that will probably never be in your area. But, you need to find out what people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s from your area honestly think of it. I think this needs to be done in person with people who are neighbors and live nearby. If there are some fundamental reasons why your congregation is older and might not be welcoming or attractive to younger people, you need to find out why and do something about it before you start doing a lot of promotions.

But, I think most important of all is this. Who is God calling you all to be as a church? I doubt that this is solely about "advertising" but rather are you a place that younger people want to come to? Do most of the members of the church want a lot of younger people there enough to do something about it? Ultimately, it is about your church being a good home for younger people that they feel safe in, can grow in, and want to make a home. A lot of people in their 60s and 70s can be great surrogate grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles for young families in our increasingly mobile society where many families do not have close relatives nearby.

A dear friend of mine (late 50s) is a pastor in rural Wisconsin. He just got back into the ministry after about a decade away due to burn out. He was placed part-time into a church in a small town with a church with an average age in the 60s. They had even reached the point of not having Sunday School because there weren't enough kids. Two years later and there are a handful of younger families that have joined. He realized that the church needed to start reaching out and doing things for younger people to build relationships. He convinced the board to open up the church building (at no cost) for families that homeschool to use for events as well as having piano lessons there. He basically volunteered extra time on his part to be in the building for those things. Over time, those relationships are resulting in younger people becoming connected and joining the church. Last year, he was upped to full-time being given a second church about 10 miles away that is even older. His first service he figured the youngest person there was in their 50s. They've now been starting to have some younger families visiting and revisiting. The main thing is that he is simply being available whenever possible to do things for people and meet them.

• Friendly
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Your website looks intimidating, esp the photo of the choir in robes. I wouldn't feel comfortable exploring your church.

Why have all the young people left?

Upvote 0