Thibodaux, La
✟8,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, let me begin by saying that I am NOT a Messianic...at least not currently.

I was raised as a Seventh-Day Adventist. For those who may be unfamiliar, Adventists observe the Sabbath, follow the Levitical dietary laws (many are vegetarian), often believe that God's law is still relevant today and that the Old Testament is not there just to provide a historical reference.

Lately, I have felt that Adventism is not where I should be. I find it to be closer than any other denominational services I have attended, in regards to what I feel the Bible is REALLY attempting to teach us. But still....

I was hoping that the community here could help me to differentiate between Messianic Judiasm and Hebraic Roots (if there even is a difference). And what websites could I go to that would give me good, trustworthy information...something reliable.

I would appreciate any and all information. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

-JJD

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
You might like to start by attending a Messianic service. This can be done in person if there's one near you or more conveniently, by live services broadcast via internet.

If you are interested I'll list some I am familiar with and can recommend to you.

Funny, my local congregation started in a house then got so big they looked for someplace bigger to rent and rented the basement of a Christian Church til things got bad (another story) but they were right across the street from the local SDA's. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: -Hannah-
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Welcome Sojourners, Welcome Prodigal Children of God.

While you had a good start with keeping a biblical diet and Sabbath keeping there is so much more in the walk with God. Many of us here have travelled through many gatherings of believers to learn of the truth, and found gems, learned some things both good and bad. We have Yeshua, whom you know as Jesus, who is leading us as He is our only true shepherd of our faith.

Have you see this corner of the forum's rules and agreed to abide by them. In them you will find many of the stands we are taking in the face of opposition and in our distinction. To answer the one question on the difference between Hebrew Roots and Messianic Judaism, one of the greatest differences is that it is

Hebrew Roots are mostly those who felt the call to return to "hebrew roots" which for most means a seeking to be more closer to the defining of hebrew words and how we understand scripture because of the sound bytes within the words. It is like the word cabbagepatch being defined by someone 2000 years later. Someone says it means that each cabbage leaf was called a cabbagepatch, while someone else says that it is a patch of garden dedicated to growing cabbages, and another says it was the name of a doll. Then in the context of the part of scripture where it is found they try to see what gems can be found using this new found understanding of the word. It gets interesting.

Messianic Judaism is a faith bases on Judaism with Yeshua as their Messiah. It follows some of what Orah Torah has for guidance, some of what Jews have traditionally kept and understand, and what Yeshua explained were the wrong path that the Pharisee and Sadducees were understanding and handling of different situations. It is "messy" as we, as a group, are learning, leaning one way or another on different matters, and trying to find out way to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. We want to be the remnant of God's children who are whom He is looking for when He returns. We want Him to see us as those who have transformed into His likeness, fully walking in the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE which He gave us instructions to be His.

So Welcome... stay a while and enjoy our company as we love to have you come learn what we have found and learned.

• Friendly
Reactions: -Hannah-
Upvote 0

-Hannah-

May 14, 2017
L
✟1,961.00
Country
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By searching for Messianic services in my country, I found rich content which will help me with some questions. Thank you for your suggestion, Lulav, and thank you, Visionary, for being so welcoming. I keep coming across you both in the forum and you are always delightful.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, let me begin by saying that I am NOT a Messianic...at least not currently.

I was raised as a Seventh-Day Adventist. For those who may be unfamiliar, Adventists observe the Sabbath, follow the Levitical dietary laws (many are vegetarian), often believe that God's law is still relevant today and that the Old Testament is not there just to provide a historical reference.

Lately, I have felt that Adventism is not where I should be. I find it to be closer than any other denominational services I have attended, in regards to what I feel the Bible is REALLY attempting to teach us. But still....

I was hoping that the community here could help me to differentiate between Messianic Judiasm and Hebraic Roots (if there even is a difference). And what websites could I go to that would give me good, trustworthy information...something reliable.

I would appreciate any and all information. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

-JJD
I can not speak for the messianic movement as a whole but I can speak about my local synagogue.

It is decidedly JEWISH when it comes to the service itself the 2 deviations from conservative service. There is instrumentally accompanied the singing of songs and during the teaching, Rabbi teaches out of the totality of scripture including (obviously) that Yeshua is the Messiah.

Our synagogue attendance is 60/40 Jews to Gentile. It is decidedly NOT a traditional Christian service

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0