• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Need insight on an earlier situation

Aug 20, 2010
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I was in a Christian bookstore earlier. I had vowed not to look at or get accessories today in response to doing something I shouldn't have. I found some stuff I wanted, I saw some accessories in the store and started to eye them; and quickly told myself no and looked away. I made a promise that if I looked at the accessories again that I will not get any of the stuff I had in my hands. Well as I was walking to another area of the store, I saw some accessories on a counter and I looked at them for like a second longer than I should have. I asked God to absolve me of the vow. But I bought the stuff anyway. Did I do the wrong thing? I feel like maybe I need to give it away. I broke my promise to the Holy Spirit.

?????????? Thoughts? Scriptures?

Thanks.

babegirl111

Jan 17, 2008
✟7,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you dont mind me asking, Are you actually speaking vows in your mind??? or are they basically "pop up" vows (as in thoughts that just pop into your mind or vows that just pop into your mind)?? If you are making actual vows because of something you feel you did and "need to make up for" I think you should stop. Stop making vows because you are only making you OCD worse. Have you noticed that the more you dont want something in your mind the more its hard to keep it away? Obviously your biggest fear is making vows and losing your salvation (which you wont), so when you start becoming anxious over something (such as buying the jewelry) the first thing that comes to your mind is "dont make a vow" and then here comes the vow. You get what I'm saying here?? But if these are just "pop up vows" (which I believe they are), you need to just ignore them. They are not true, and they are not actual promises you are making to God. Dont you think you would remember if you made a real promise to God?? It is just your ocd trying to bring you more stress. What I honestly think is going on with this vow thing is basically ocd rituals, which most of us have or had. They are basically things we do to "ease" anxiety but in actuality they make our ocd worse and only bring more rituals. Do you really think God cares if you look at an accessory too long (impossible to look at an accessory too long by the way) or if you bought them? Please DO NOT give away your accessories. You are causing yourself so much greif over nothing. THIS IS OCD!! I know its hard and ive been there and I still experience things here and there, but you have to come to a point in your illness where you understand that it is exactly what it is.........a illness. God Bless. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0