• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

need help

andrewl33

Jan 7, 2016
georgia
✟9,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This will be mildly long. Grew up in your typical christian family. Lived the life. Around early highschool i got off the right path with some bad friends and i started to live in the things of the world. I realized i had neve completely surrenderd my life to christ because i wasnt ready to give up worldly things. I stopped going to church because i didnt want to live half in half out and i always felt the holy spirit tugging at me to get my life right. I denied it. I denied jesus. Years pass by. Im 26 now. Im married, have a one year old daughter and ive been dipping ( chewing tobacco ) heavily for 6 years. 2 cans a day. Same amount of nicotine you get from smoking 4 packs a day. Being a husband and a father i started thinking about the future my life my daughters life and i knew i needed to start getting my life right with God. First step. Stop chewing tobacco. The first day i quit it was a stressful day at work, i had been nicotine free for a bout 2 hours past my normal dip break and bam. I had a anxiety / panic attack. That was 55 days ago. Ive been having them on and off ever since. Some aspects get better and some get worse. Past 2 days ive crying at random which is absolutely out of the ordinary for me. I cant stop the sadness. I ask jesus for healing but i dont think hes hearing me because i denied him for so long. Or maybe hes punishing me, or testing me. Or maybe demons are effecting me? I am on pills but they dont seem to be doing anything and i keep missing work for doctor appointments. Im in the process of buying a new house and im not even sure if ill be able to keep working like this or not. I need help.

Will someone pleasure pray for healing of my mind, body and soul. Also if anyone knows a real christian healer or somewhere i can go to have hands put on me in Georgia, im interested.

has anyone beaten this? Or had the same thing happen with nicotine withdrawal?

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
First of all, I'm sorry for your struggles. It must be tough to quit that much nicotine cold turkey, to say the least! Yes, I experienced something similar when I quit smoking cigarettes. I got depressed and would start again. I finally realized that this was just my body adjusting to being cigarette free.

Think about it, you put your body 'up' for so long, it will dip 'down' as a way to compensate for being up for so long before it finally evens out and maintains equilibrium again. It did finally pass for me and I am not depressed. It did take a few months. I chewed nicotine gum for a while, but eventually I had to stop that, too. That was tough. I drank some green tea, which has some caffeine, so that helped as well.

It can feel really horrible, I know. But maybe knowing there is an end in sight some time will help. I applaud you for quitting, as my friend's dad died of oral cancer from chewing. You are choosing a better path.

Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0

andrewl33

Jan 7, 2016
georgia
✟9,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, I'm sorry for your struggles. It must be tough to quit that much nicotine cold turkey, to say the least! Yes, I experienced something similar when I quit smoking cigarettes. I got depressed and would start again. I finally realized that this was just my body adjusting to being cigarette free.

Think about it, you put your body 'up' for so long, it will dip 'down' as a way to compensate for being up for so long before it finally evens out and maintains equilibrium again. It did finally pass for me and I am not depressed. It did take a few months. I chewed nicotine gum for a while, but eventually I had to stop that, too. That was tough. I drank some green tea, which has some caffeine, so that helped as well.

It can feel really horrible, I know. But maybe knowing there is an end in sight some time will help. I applaud you for quitting, as my friend's dad died of oral cancer from chewing. You are choosing a better path.
So, you were depression free after a couple of months of quiting? Like 3 or 4 months? Just asking because im at 2 months. Dip is way more intense then ciagrettes though. Im worried i may have permanently jacked my brain up.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think it was like 3 months or so. It was like 6 years ago, so I don't recall. I actually cried when there was no ostensible reason for crying. I don't think you permanently messed up your brain. Even so, God can heal your wounds, as I'm sure it was he who led you to quit.

I'm sure God doesn't want you (or any of us) to suffer. Maybe you can get something from a doctor or a natural remedy to help with the withdrawal symptoms? Personally, I would have opted for the weaning method, but you've already gone nearly 2 months. Have you noticed any reduction in symptoms so far? Keeping a symptom journal might help to notice progress.

Upvote 0

andrewl33

Jan 7, 2016
georgia
✟9,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it was like 3 months or so. It was like 6 years ago, so I don't recall. I actually cried when there was no ostensible reason for crying. I don't think you permanently messed up your brain. Even so, God can heal your wounds, as I'm sure it was he who led you to quit.

I'm sure God doesn't want you (or any of us) to suffer. Maybe you can get something from a doctor or a natural remedy to help with the withdrawal symptoms? Personally, I would have opted for the weaning method, but you've already gone nearly 2 months. Have you noticed any reduction in symptoms so far? Keeping a symptom journal might help to notice progress.
Well, in the beginning i had soooo many of the classic withdrawal symptoms. Couldnt sleep, flu like symptoms, brain fog, blurred vision. I dont have any of those symptoms anymore. Sometimes one or two of them will pop up but im really only dealing with anxiety/ panic / sadness right now.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well that does sound like improvement then. That's a good sign. Keep monitoring they anxiety/panic/sadness and see if you notice any improvement there. Did you perhaps start using nicotine to cope with any of these symptoms to begin with?

Upvote 0

andrewl33

Jan 7, 2016
georgia
✟9,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well that does sound like improvement then. That's a good sign. Keep monitoring they anxiety/panic/sadness and see if you notice any improvement there. Did you perhaps start using nicotine to cope with any of these symptoms to begin with?
Not that im aware of... i never had any anxiety or depression before 55 days ago.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ok then, likely it is withdrawal. I know it's horrible, but I feel pretty sure it will pass. Keep up your prayers and repeat bible verses that strengthen you. Deep breathing might help, too. You can also use physical comforts, but have to be aware that you don't want them to take the place of the old addiction. It will end, brother! It might take longer than you'd want though. I know it felt like eternity to me, but it's over now, praise God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

andrewl33

Jan 7, 2016
georgia
✟9,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im still suffering... i know that the bible says we may suffer for a time but ultimately God will restore us. Please, continue to pray for me. I thought i was getting better last week but now im habing trouble breathing again. To make kt worse everytime i start to fall asleep its like i stop breathing and i jolt awake. Ineed rest :/

I know God doesnt bring bad things on people. Why is this happening to me?!

Upvote 0

andrewl33

Jan 7, 2016
georgia
✟9,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive seen a doctor and been to the emergency room a couple times. They dont say much just that i have anxiety. I saw a psychiatrist and all he said was it would be 6 months to a year before i felt better and he upped my dose of meds. I cant even take it because it makes me dizzy. Im at a loss in my life right now. I have a wife and kid to provide for but being at work is getting hard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

andrewl33

Jan 7, 2016
georgia
✟9,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They dont really do that at my church. Or ive never seen it done. Im sure people would if i asked but i looked up a place in my state where you can go and have ppl put hands on you. Called a prayer room but i dont know how i feel about people i dont know praying over me.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's a bummer. I understand about not necessarily wanting strangers praying over you. Will keep praying for deliverance from this anxiety. You might want to find some books for how to deal with it and combat it. It is often possible to overcome anxiety on one's own, but with much hard work. It's not as hard as the continual anxiety though!

Upvote 0

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also suffer from anxiety. I used to smoke too. I felt terrible when I quit. I also took add medicines for years (stimulant drugs that also bring you up) and when I went off of them I was pretty much out for months. I still do not have the same energy levels I had when I was smoking cigs, taking adderall, and drinking tons of coffee daily. But I am not miserable either. Anxiety... that comes and goes (mainly I have social anxiety, unrelated to substances). Hang in there, keep praying, and have faith that it will get better.. because it will. I have been in the ER for panic. I had to learn how to manage it. Now it doesn't get that severe (unless there is public speaking involved). Find out what managing it means to you. Sometimes that's finding someone to talk to, sometimes it means diet changes, or reading recovery books and praying, etc. This is also a good time to focus on spiritual things because you are dealing with inner problems. Just don't give up! And although it might sound flippant of me, congrats on quitting.

Just a thought, and you can ignore this -- but based on your post it does sound like there's been a lot more than just dip that's been troubling you in your life. Maybe the dip was just covering things? Addictions tend to do that. Then when you take away the coping mechanism, you have to deal with all those garbage feelings underneath. It is sometimes case. It was with me. It was like learning to live all over again. Anyway, I wish you well...

Upvote 0

thebackyardpreacher

Feb 14, 2016
Davenport
Visit site
✟7,773.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I am really sorry man it is a tough road living with anxiety and panic. I am not going to sugar coat it I have been learning to survive with it since around your age I am 35 now and had to use techniques like deep breathing at work last night. This is my suggestion stop beating yourself up about stuff. You have alot going on in life right now and the added stress is not helping. God is not condemning you, you shouldn't either. Continue to see your doctor, but have you though about seeing a therapist? A good therapist can show you ways to cope and live with this illness if in fact you have panic disorder I don't know I am not your doctor. But if they are giving you meds they diagnosed you with something. Yes seek healing from God but also understand Paul had a thorn in his side. I have saught for years for God to heal me, yet I know his grace is sufficient for me. You will be alright, you have gotten through these days and will continue to get through them. You are a good father, husband, and employee. Make sure you take time for yourself and just breathe. Blessings!

Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0

andrewl33

Jan 7, 2016
georgia
✟9,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just an update and further request. I can't say if my anxiety/panic has gotten better or worse. I have feelings of anxiety everyday now to where i start to hyper ventilate but it usually doesnt go past that to panic attacks like it used to. Still very upsetting to deal with multiple times a day.

im so lost in negetive emotion right now i dont know where to turn to. I cry everyday now.

My knee is starting to give out. Haf a ultra sound on my testicles. They found a varicocele and a cyst. Nothing cancerous but still troubling and one of my testicals is in pain and starting to swell. Dont have doctors appt to find out the next step for 2 more weeks.

Just bought a house. Moving this weekend. I dont think im going to be able to keep working the way things are going. My wife doesnt work. Im so torn. Ineed a answer from God.

Upvote 0