Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟117,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have been pondering something for awhile now but I need some help. I think God may be about to give me this- why is it that God uses people? There is a reason for this. Any ideas? In the Lord's prayer it says "on earth as it is in heaven". Mankind is responsible for God's will being done on the earth, God does nothing on the earth except in response to prayer. Can anyone explain why to me?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God does nothing on the earth except in response to prayer

Can you confirm this from scripture - personally I don't think it is correct.

Likewise

Mankind is responsible for God's will being done on the earth

Personally I think we are honoured to participate but I wouldn't say we are solely responsible.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been pondering something for awhile now but I need some help. I think God may be about to give me this- why is it that God uses people? There is a reason for this. Any ideas? In the Lord's prayer it says "on earth as it is in heaven". Mankind is responsible for God's will being done on the earth, God does nothing on the earth except in response to prayer. Can anyone explain why to me?
Who taught you that God only responds to prayer?

Reactions: honestal
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might ponder on this...

Psalm 103

19 The Lord has established His throne in the heavens,
And His sovereignty rules over all.
20 Bless the Lord, you His angels,
Mighty in strength, who perform His word,
Obeying the voice of His word!
21 Bless the Lord, all you His angels,
You who serve Him, doing His will.

Seems like man is not the only tool in the tool box.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Eph 2:10 says God defines those good works to walk in as obedience. II Peter 1 shows us virtues that develop towards fully knowing him.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you confirm this from scripture - personally I don't think it is correct.

Likewise

Personally I think we are honoured to participate but I wouldn't say we are solely responsible.
As Jesus said,,,
We are responsible for working in and for the Kingdom of God,,,but He sent the Holy Spirit to be our parachute.
This is God working here.
(Not only responding to prayer)

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are God"s hands and feet...
To feed the poor
Visit the sick
Raise our families
Be good witnesses to unbelievers
Make peace
Etc.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
One thing I noticed early on in my life is the way God takes one to the edge, or even over the edge, of disaster, for the simple lesson learned that we are not the ones in control. Using the weak, silly, and mundane ways to accomplish his ends shows his power.

Oh, and by the way, don't be so sure God does nothing except in response to prayer.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God planned and executes the path and location of each electron from it's first day to it's last moment. For each Atom in the Cosmos. And He keeps each Atom from exploding.

f-dbe34d301907e32f966ebde74572a3fb0ab8098bba0b1a26810199b28IMAGE_THUMB_POSTCARDIMAGE_THUMB_POSTCARD.1

Colossians 1:17
And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been pondering something for awhile now but I need some help. I think God may be about to give me this- why is it that God uses people?

God planned and delivered the entire Cosmos beginning to end. For God, it's all finished from His point of view. But most people have not see the beginning or the end, so for us it's a bit of mystery.

Upvote 0

honestal

Mar 27, 2021
Midwest
✟31,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
why is it that God uses people? ...God does nothing on the earth except in response to prayer.

Hi Dave (nice to meet you),

#1--I agree completely with what many others have said: It's incorrect to say that "God does nothing on the earth except in response to prayer."

#2--As for "why is it that God uses people?"--Because He loves us and wants us to experience all the many blessings that come from helping others (and doing good).

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your premise is wrong to start with that God does nothing on earth unless in response to prayer. Do you think Noah was praying for a global flood or Abraham and Lot praying for the destruction of Sodom? God is still sovereign and prayer is a tool we can find direction and petition specific things and of course I agree it is a vital aspect of being a Christian.

God gave man free will and dominion over the earth and man forfeited that dominion to Satan. The plot of the history of the ages begins in the garden and the seed of the woman will crush the head of the serpent. This is seen in Rev when the angles proclaim that the kingdoms of this earth have become the kingdoms of the LORD and His Christ and He shall rule forever and ever. The kingdom comes when evil has triumphed for the time of the antichrist and men will largely be deceived. The man God uses is going to be filled with the Spirit and for sure being led through prayer to gain a understanding of what to do and when. God is not willing that any should perish but many do. The gospel is a fork in the road where all men are on the way to perdition and the gospel is choosing the path of faith in Jesus to salvation. Men can choose the darkness rather than the light and this is the condemnation.

We see Peter and John in acts praying for boldness to proclaim and not praying for the crowds in general. The word is powerful and effective and it in itself will bring people to a discussion either way.

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been pondering something for awhile now but I need some help. I think God may be about to give me this- why is it that God uses people?

God uses all things for good for those who love Christ Jesus (Romans 8:28 paraphrased)

In the Lord's prayer it says "on earth as it is in heaven".

The disciple's prayer (the disciples of Jesus asked Jesus to teach them to pray the way John taught his disciples to pray) traditionally called the Lord's prayer (which is better used to describe John 17)... is also a contemporary prayer under the Old Covenant. The New Covenant (thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven) did not happen until the death of Christ on the cross (Hebrews 9:16-17).

Belief in Jesus is the will of God (John 6:29). The Father loves those who loves his Son (John 16:27).
We who believe in and love Jesus Christ are a Kingdom of Priests (Revelation 1:6 / Revelation 5:10 / 1 Peter 2:3-9). This is what is meant by "thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

To further prove this is an Old Testament prayer, each version ends with "forgive us our debts / trespasses as we forgive other's... one or two versions continues to say "if you forgive not others, neither will your Heavenly Father forgive you..." ← that's right out of the Law of Moses and not the Gospel of Grace.

The Gospel of Grace is believe in Jesus and be saved. Period. John 3:16-18 / Ephesians 2:8-10 and so on. And the verses that mention baptism refer to Holy Spirit baptism (Matthew 3:11) which is faith itself that Ephesians 2:8 says in not of ourselves but is the gift of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums