Need advice on defending a friend of mine about to be homeless, kicked out of the local mission...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Need advice on defending a friend of mine about to be homeless, kicked out of the local mission...?

I know they have no good reason for kicking him out, so, I plan on giving this letter to the director Steve Smith tomorrow... Need advice...?

Think It's a good idea...?

Oh, and the director and the mission organization claims to be "Christian", and the director Steve, is also a pastor/preacher...

Here's the letter:

Dear Steve,

I would like to know why Chris Agee, is getting kicked out of the Mission on the first of this next month please...?

He is my friend, and I wish you knew what that means, but, anyway, he is my friend and I want to know "why" he is getting kicked out...?

He is "trying" his best to get out of there, he is making a lot of effort to get out of there... He thought he could, and did try, to get into a place through and with the foster care system, but, due to too much red-tape that fell apart. He also thought he could and did try to get into a place with one of his friends, but, that fell apart too...

He is one the waiting lists of almost every apartment complex in town, and continues to look into others without lists...

He just needs more time...

I am asking you to give him the time he needs for a friend of a Christian brother, as a Christian brother... (he is a pastor/preacher)...

Or, if you can settle it in your conscience, as a fellow Christian, kicking someone out who is, for one: "trying", two: does not have any drug or alcohol problems, and, three: is not causing any, and is not being, nor is any kind of "problem" to anyone...

If you can settle that in your conscience, then I will leave that between you and your God...

P.S. He is taking care of and not neglecting, taking care of his health and medical issues while he is there also...

He has nowhere to go... If he gets kicked out... It will be extremely difficult for him to take care of himself on the street...

He is a friend of mine and is also, therefore an friend of my, and you say, "your", God...

So, if you can justify, not giving a friend of my God, more time, the time he needs, then you can settle that with him, OK...?

God Bless!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: brinny

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I can't give him a place to stay either, cause, where I live, your not allowed to have any overnight visitor's for long periods of time...

What do I do, if my friend winds up homeless on the street, he has health issues that would make it impossible for him...

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Before writing ring the home or visit and ask why. There may be a good reason for there action.
Do some checks on what waiting lists he is on and about the availability of places to rent and there cost.
An emotional appeal is unlikely to work compared to a fact based appeal that shows what he is actually doing.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Before writing ring the home or visit and ask why. There may be a good reason for there action.
Do some checks on what waiting lists he is on and about the availability of places to rent and there cost.
An emotional appeal is unlikely to work compared to a fact based appeal that shows what he is actually doing.
It's not a home, it's a mission... It's not about costs or anything... Possibly because they think he could be a liability, but other than that, I know there is "no good reason" for it...

And I was recently there with him (my friend) (staying there) and know that I know that I know there is no good reason already...

He visits and stays with me sometimes regularly... So, I'm well informed as to "what's going on"...

They recently booted out a gay guy, and I know they concocted a reason to get rid of him too...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The other reason could be that he gets a monthly income (SSI) and people are upset with him (a little jealous) about that, and think that he should have been able to get out of there by now, and could think he is being irresponsible, but the income is not very much, and they allow drinkers and drug addicts stay there as long as they want, whenever they want...

It's not right, it stinks to me...

Who are they to judge, you try living on seven hundred dollars a month...

And he is almost up on the lists for apartments, he just needs a little more time...

He has living relatives but none will help him...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You still need facts.
Think of it as a court case, what arguments, what evidence do they have for expelling him?
versis
The arguments and evidence youhave that he should stay.
Only thing I can think of is the liability possibility, or the jealousy and/or envy that he has some money, when everyone else does not, and they could be thinking he's being irresponsible...

I know the situation very well...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Only thing I can think of is the liability possibility, or the jealousy and/or envy that he has some money, when everyone else does not, and they could be thinking he's being irresponsible...

I know the situation very well...

God Bless!
Prejudice of some kind is what I think, is the real reason, which is not right...

Upvote 0

Dreamer.eitak

May 26, 2017
California
✟7,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't give him a place to stay either, cause, where I live, your not allowed to have any overnight visitor's for long periods of time...

What do I do, if my friend winds up homeless on the street, he has health issues that would make it impossible for him...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
His health issues sometimes gross some people out...
He has a bag connected to his esophogus and a tube in his stomach and he has to do "tube feedings" and empty and change his bag regularly...

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I know they have no good reason for kicking him out, so, I plan on giving this letter to the director .......... tomorrow... Need advice...?

Think It's a good idea...?

Oh, and the director and the mission organization claims to be "Christian", and the director ......., is also a pastor/preacher...

Here's the letter:

Dear .......,

I would like to know why Tyler Stephanich is getting kicked out of the Mission on the first of this next month please...?

He is my friend, and I wish you knew what that means, but, anyway, he is my friend and I want to know "why" he is getting kicked out...?

He is "trying" his best to get out of there, he is making a lot of effort to get out of there... He thought he could, and did try, to get into a place through and with the foster care system, but, due to too much red-tape that fell apart. He also thought he could and did try to get into a place with one of his friends, but, that fell apart too...

He is one the waiting lists of almost every apartment complex in town, and continues to look into others without lists...

He just needs more time...

I am asking you to give him the time he needs for a friend of a Christian brother, as a Christian brother... (he is a pastor/preacher)...

Or, if you can settle it in your conscience, as a fellow Christian, kicking someone out who is, for one: "trying", two: does not have any drug or alcohol problems, and, three: is not causing any, and is not being, nor is any kind of "problem" to anyone...

If you can settle that in your conscience, then I will leave that between you and your God...

P.S. He is taking care of and not neglecting, taking care of his health and medical issues while he is there also...

He has nowhere to go... If he gets kicked out... It will be extremely difficult for him to take care of himself on the street...

He is a friend of mine and is also, therefore an friend of my, and you say, "your", God...

So, if you can justify, not giving a friend of my God, more time, the time he needs, then you can settle that with him, OK...?

God Bless!

First of all, edit out the director's name from your post. It doesn't belong in public.

Next, there is far too much emotion in your letter, if you don't mind my saying so. That emotion is real and valid, but it does not belong in this first letter. I would cut it right back to;

Dear ....

I am troubled to hear that my friend is to lose his place in your mission, and hope you can help me to understand why this is happening.

I value x because of his (list good qualities), and I know he has been trying very hard to find somewhere else to go. I hope you can give him another month/2 months/3 months and then review this situation again. In the meantime I will do all that I can to help him find somewhere to live.

I would appreciate meeting with you to discuss this further. I appreciate all that you do in very difficult circumstances and I want to continue to support you as far as I possibly can.

Regards

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Prejudice of some kind is what I think, is the real reason, which is not right...

Nobody will ever tell you the real reason. They will give you some kind of an excuse, which will save their face, but it will not be the real reason.

Do what you can for your friend, but remember that ultimately this is his life. It may be that all your efforts will fail, and you will not be able to prevent this from happening.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
First of all, edit out the director's name from your post. It doesn't belong in public.

Next, there is far too much emotion in your letter, if you don't mind my saying so. That emotion is real and valid, but it does not belong in this first letter. I would cut it right back to;

But me and the director know each other personally...

Dear ....

I am troubled to hear that my friend is to lose his place in your mission, and hope you can help me to understand why this is happening.

I value x because of his (list good qualities), and I know he has been trying very hard to find somewhere else to go. I hope you can give him another month/2 months/3 months and then review this situation again. In the meantime I will do all that I can to help him find somewhere to live.

I would appreciate meeting with you to discuss this further. I appreciate all that you do in very difficult circumstances and I want to continue to support you as far as I possibly can.

Regards
Thanks, but I know that a logical unemotional response will be innefective...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

God Bless!
Seems to me of all the people I know and hang out with, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a list of their bad qualities. Perhaps you may find a reason why he is being kicked out of the local mission before they give their response.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
But me and the director know each other personally...

I don't care if he is your long lost sibling; his name does not belong on a public message site.

Thanks, but I know that a logical unemotional response will be innefective...

Don't you just love a 'thanks, but ... ' ? I did not say unemotional; I said less emotion. To be honest, less passive aggression. If I were to receive your letter I would throw it into a bin without bothering to reply; it is far too uncivil.

Unsubscribing.

Upvote 0

-Hannah-

May 14, 2017
L
✟1,961.00
Country
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with Catherine. But since you don't, my advice is:

Your letter seems to be manipulative towards the director. I think you should at least take these parts out: "Or, if you can settle it in your conscience, as a fellow Christian, kicking someone out"; "If you can settle that in your conscience, then I will leave that between you and your God...";
"He is a friend of mine and is also, therefore an friend of my, and you say, "your", God... So, if you can justify, not giving a friend of my God, more time, the time he needs, then you can settle that with him, OK...?".

I understand your expectations as a Christian, but stating them in a non manipulative way would be much productive. The preacher might get lost in defending himself instead of helping your friend. You should choose between being accusatory and helping your friend, because I've never thing these two things happening at the same time.

But Catherine's advice is really good. If you want to be heard, it's important to know how people listen.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree with Catherine. But since you don't, my advice is:

Your letter seems to be manipulative towards the director. I think you should at least take these parts out: "Or, if you can settle it in your conscience, as a fellow Christian, kicking someone out"; "If you can settle that in your conscience, then I will leave that between you and your God...";
"He is a friend of mine and is also, therefore an friend of my, and you say, "your", God... So, if you can justify, not giving a friend of my God, more time, the time he needs, then you can settle that with him, OK...?".

I understand your expectations as a Christian, but stating them in a non manipulative way would be much productive. The preacher might get lost in defending himself instead of helping your friend. You should choose between being accusatory and helping your friend, because I've never thing these two things happening at the same time.

But Catherine's advice is really good. If you want to be heard, it's important to know how people listen.
Your democrats, aren't you?, kinda lefty's...?

I feel like in one of favorite Star Trek TNG episodes, Worf makes a decision to respond in a more "human" way, and Picard said to him and asked him "Doesn't this situation demand a more "Klingon" response?", and he (Worf) re-thought it and decided that it did, in the end, and acted accordingly...

I feel like this if he (the director) is a Christian at all, He will wrestle with himself about it, possibly wrestle with God about it, and he could get caught up in defending himself, but I plan on giving the letter to him personally, and leaving before he reads it and not come back, but will find out what becomes of it through my friend, As far as I and the director/pastor, no one has to see it or know of it, other than me and himself, unless he decides to share it, and if he does, that is up to him... I don't care either way...

He will probably have to wrestle with God after he reads it about this decision to kick my friend out of the only homeless shelter/mission in town...

If he the director doesn't make the right decision, then, well and if he try's to defend and justify himself in the decision process in wrestling with God, if he try's to justify himself by a justification that is not truly just, then, well, guess he's made his decision(s) (and bed) now, hasn't he (and he'll have to lie in it)...

Peace,

God Bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.