Need advice on defending a friend of mine about to be homeless, kicked out of the local mission...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You aren't responsible for your friend's bad luck. He needs to take care of himself. He has money and needs to find a home he can afford. Think: subsidized apartment for the handicapped or a room in someone else's home, or something like that. Get him to apply for Section 8 at the housing authority. It might not be an immediate solution but it will help in the long run.

I have a friend who also has SSI - he is living in a rented fifth-wheel travel trailer. For a long time he traveled around the country going from one city to another living in homeless shelters for a month, then moving on. There are many options for your friend; he has to figure this thing out. Start with faith that Jesus will provide, and He will.

In any case, your interest in this situation seems co-dependent. Your friend has to learn to depend on himself rather than to have people like you taking care of him. I think you could send a note to the director without the recriminations about possibly being a bad Christian - that's a bit demeaning... and probably won't find favor. Most Christians won't heartlessly send handicapped people to live in the streets so there's probably more to the story. Whatever happens, don't blame the director or think you're in any way responsible to resolve your friend's problems.

And I agree names should be removed from your original post here - both the director and your friend. Do you realize that if you leave it like that, ten years from now your friend could be applying for a job, and the potential employer could look for information about him on the internet, and easily find this post about him being kicked out of a homeless shelter? If these people are really your friends, please take their names off the posting.
Oh cause everyone who winds up homeless or down and out or on the streets, in every case, it's always there fault, right...?

Have you ever been homeless or stayed at a shelter...? I have, and I know that it's about 50/50, 1/2 of the time it's by choice, 1/2 of the time it is not, and 1/2 are trying their absolute best to better their situation, while around 1/2 are not as much...

But, I suppose, like others, it makes you feel better not doing anything about or for them (beggars, homeless people), I guess it makes you feel better within yourself reasoning that way, but that is not Christian at all...

I wonder? Do you thank God that you are not like other people...?

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh cause everyone who winds up homeless or down and out or on the streets, in every case, it's always there fault, right...?

Have you ever been homeless or stayed at a shelter...? I have, and I know that it's about 50/50, 1/2 of the time it's by choice, 1/2 of the time it is not, and 1/2 are trying their absolute best to better their situation, while around 1/2 are not as much...

But, I suppose, like others, it makes you feel better not doing anything about or for them (beggars, homeless people), I guess it makes you feel better within yourself reasoning that way, but that is not Christian at all...

God Bless!

Maybe I'm not very good at reading between the lines, but I think you're inferring something that wasn't implied in the post you quoted.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
If it brings attention to the situation, might be just what he needs... No, I don't think about privacy much, as I basically have none, so I don't consider it much, but will change the names, if it could mean some negative backlash for my friend... I honestly didn't think about it, nor did I think very many people pay too much attention as to what goes on in these forums, so, I honestly, did not even think about it...

It is not about beds or enough room, cause especially this time of year, there is always more than enough room for everyone, and they do take in almost everyone and anyone... There is a separate women and children's shelter, this one is only for men... And, they don't put limits on how long people can stay either, and there is still always room, and my friend is doing his best to get out of there, the only reason someone is usually not allowed to stay there or gets booted is due to causing problems, and drugs and or alcohol...

Do people actually pay attention to these forums...?

I didn't think it would go very far if I put it on here, honestly...?

God Bless!

If that's what you thought, what a waste of time your visiting this site.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
No. It's not 50/50. Ther is no excuse whatsoever for government's allowing people to be homeless. It is a very sick society and its goverment, over there and in the UK, that sees people homeless, while all the money that should go for workers' wages goes into the coffers of the stockholders.

There will surely be a reckoning, and it looks likely to be fairly soon. Read the Psalms.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

God Bless!

It sounds like you do. And you compound your affectation of lordly superiority by seeming to blasphemously invoke God's blessing on someone you affect to despise, right after !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Sorry about the lefty comment, I didn't mean anything by it, other than that, I used to think that way, that an emotionally charged response is never warranted, that logic and reason alone should suffice and be enough, but I do not know and I think I am changing my thinking about that now...

God Bless!

You have many posts for a neophyte, and your username makes you sound like a New Ager.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
@paul becke You know you are being very hostile toward me, I would like to know "why"...? What is your problem with me exactly...?

Or is this just the way you are with most everybody...?

I merely want some advice for this situation with my friend, and forgive me if I am a little emotionally charged or passionate about it...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You have many posts for a neophyte, and your username makes you sound like a New Ager.
I'm not a neophyte, or New Ager, since my early twenties I have been an avid active bible student, and continue (have continued to be) so up to now, and I'm 38 now....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not a neophyte, or New Ager, since my early twenties I have been an avid bible student, and continue (have continued to be) up to now, and I'm 38 now....
My name was meant to mean "new earth" or "new spirit of the earth"...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It sounds like you do. And you compound your affectation of lordly superiority by seeming to blasphemously invoke God's blessing on someone you affect to despise, right after !
WHAT???

I have no idea what you trying to say, but, I'm betting it is not true, and is very wrong judgement of me...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
@paul becke , look sir, I don't what's up your butt about me, but you clearly have some kind of personal problem with me, judging by these harsh attacks (with seemingly none to little basis to me)...

If you do not tell me plainly what the problem is then I'm just going to ignore you OK?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
@paul becke I know who my God is, and it is not the god of my own (making), not the god of my own (intellectual) superiority (complex), like you...

Why are you upset with me? Cause I tend to shake things up and rock the boat...? Are you actually jealous and envious of the likes of someone like me...?

What is it, plainly and honestly...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,004,874.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
ON!

Thread closed permanently:

Flaming and Goading
  • Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
  • Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
  • NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, or smileys clearly meant to goad. Quoting and then editing another members post to change the original meaning, commonly referred to as "fixed it for you" (FIFY), is considered goading.
  • Offensive derogatory nicknames and egregious inflammatory comments about public figures may be considered goading.
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
  • If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.

OFF!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.