Nearly all of the laws found in scripture are outdated.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because there is still a tendency to worship and serve the creature rather then the Creator. Because it's still a sin to covet, or to bear false witness against your neighbor. Because that old school master till serves to teach us the basic rules by which the covenants and promises of God are communicated to us. The Law still bears witness to the righteousness of God, even though in our natural selves we are weak and cannot by our own efforts keep that standard.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've never been sure why the Ten Commandments in particular, of all the law, are so treasured by Christians. Why, for example, is Sabbath observance a law that some Christians try to follow, but Sukkot observance is not? I do get that some of the Ten describe actions that Christians (like Jews) should not do -- we should not murder or steal or accuse each other falsely. Similarly, we should follow some of the principles in the broader Law, such as caring for the poor. But I don't know what makes people single out the Ten Commandments above the rest of the Torah to post on walls of buildings and so on.

I assume the practice started with earlier theologians. Someone with a better background in patristics than me: Did the church fathers single out the Ten Commandments in this way?

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never been sure why the Ten Commandments in particular, of all the law, are so treasured by Christians. Why, for example, is Sabbath observance a law that some Christians try to follow, but Sukkot observance is not? I do get that some of the Ten describe actions that Christians (like Jews) should not do -- we should not murder or steal or accuse each other falsely. Similarly, we should follow some of the principles in the broader Law, such as caring for the poor. But I don't know what makes people single out the Ten Commandments above the rest of the Torah to post on walls of buildings and so on.

I assume the practice started with earlier theologians. Someone with a better background in patristics than me: Did the church fathers single out the Ten Commandments in this way?

Matthew 28:20

teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

John 15:14

"You are My friends if you do what I command you.

John 14:15

"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 14:21

"He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."

John 15:10

"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

1 John 2:3

By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.

2 John 1:6

And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.

John 8:51

"Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death."

John 8:52

The Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon Abraham died, and the prophets also; and You say, 'If anyone keeps My word, he will never taste of death.'

1 John 2:4

The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

1 John 2:5

but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected By this we know that we are in Him:

The Sabbath is kept because of our love for Jesus.

Sukkot observance is not - this is not the 7th day Sabbath - It is the 7th day Sabbath in the 10 commandments ... the day God created for man and Jesus is Lord of it.

Matthew 12:8

For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”

Mark 2:27

Then Jesus declared, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think there are several reasons people look at the 10 commandments:
* They focus on basic ethical principles, rather than details of sacrifice, worship, etc.
* Jesus used them as the basis for Mat 5 (though not without reinterpretation)
* When the rich young man asked about salvation in Mark 10 and parallels, that's what Jesus cited

Both Jesus and Paul deemphasized the role of specific rules, so the commandments should be understood as teaching certain basic principles, as per Mat 5. I agree that there are other principles, which include helping the poor, as you note.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

The most obvious thing for me is how much the Ten Commandments are steeped in patriarchy. Women are lumped in with property.

I know the Ten Commandments is part of our religious tradition and part of our catechism but I hope and pray that pastors will take the time to explain to children the context of the commandments.

• Agree
Upvote 0