May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the embarrassment comes from losing glory after sin?

Interesting point. Honestly, I think it's just a lack of self-control on my part. That could be a part of our lost glory- we tend to look at one another with lust, when we should not. As most people can do this, it seems sensible and holy to cover ourselves in a way that draws minimal attention to our flesh, so that we don't cause others to stumble, too.

Good question on Scriptural nudity. Scriptural descriptions of clothing tend to use Greek or Hebrew terms that could be translated something like "robe", "tunic", or "long dress-like garment". Garments that would generally be understood to cover the torso and legs, and have sleeves of some kind. Angels are described as wearing long tunic-like garments, as are Saints in Heaven. Why not emulate them, at least in general standards for what we cover? Not saying we have to wear long, linen garments, but at least out clothes can be loose, and humble, and sensible rather than flashy.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Though I'm probably kind of alone of this, I don't regard men going shirtless as modest, either.
Actually I wouldn't mind that. The point of the thread is that we need to be consistent. Why do we prohibit women from going topless while allowing men to do so. At one time it was illegal for either sex.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But it does describe modest apparel before it goes into jewelry and hair plaiting.
It actually says women should dress modestly, then describes that as overdressing.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interesting point. Honestly, I think it's just a lack of self-control on my part. That could be a part of our lost glory- we tend to look at one another with lust, when we should not. As most people can do this, it seems sensible and holy to cover ourselves in a way that draws minimal attention to our flesh, so that we don't cause others to stumble, too.

Good question on Scriptural nudity. Scriptural descriptions of clothing tend to use Greek or Hebrew terms that could be translated something like "robe", "tunic", or "long dress-like garment". Garments that would generally be understood to cover the torso and legs, and have sleeves of some kind. Angels are described as wearing long tunic-like garments, as are Saints in Heaven. Why not emulate them, at least in general standards for what we cover? Not saying we have to wear long, linen garments, but at least out clothes can be loose, and humble, and sensible rather than flashy.

Is it literal linen or a spiritual version?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It actually says women should dress modestly, then describes that as overdressing.

No, Sir, it commands modest apparel, and then forbids jewelry, plaiting / braiding / fancy styling of hair, and the habit of dressing to attract attention.

• Agree
Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it literal linen or a spiritual version?

Good question. If we're talking about Revelation, it seems safest to understand that we're talking about something literal that also points to a spiritual reality, or virtue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think New Jerusalem is Heaven or there is more?

I understand Scripture to mean that the New Jerusalem is a huge part of Heaven, but Scripture also describes a new heavens and a new earth, so I'm hoping it's much bigger than that one city. If it's just that one City, though, it's a pretty huge one, and would be big enough. Just about anything up there would be massively cool, so if it's just one, huge city, it'll be the best city ever. More than enough.

Reactions: Sammy-San
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I understand Scripture to mean that the New Jerusalem is a huge part of Heaven, but Scripture also describes a new heavens and a new earth, so I'm hoping it's much bigger than that one city. If it's just that one City, though, it's a pretty huge one, and would be big enough. Just about anything up there would be massively cool, so if it's just one, huge city, it'll be the best city ever. More than enough.

Do you think heaven itself will be remade?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think heaven itself will be remade?

That's a really good question. If by heaven we mean the visible sky, yes. It's possible that the reality we think of as Heaven will become the new reality / Kingdom for this new heavens and new earth.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's a really good question. If by heaven we mean the visible sky, yes. It's possible that the reality we think of as Heaven will become the new reality / Kingdom for this new heavens and new earth.

Jesus said heaven and earth will pass away-so heaven itself will be destroyed and made new?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said heaven and earth will pass away-so heaven itself will be destroyed and made new?

Well, there's a possible distinction between heaven as "sky / visible dome containing clouds and wind" and heaven as "abode of Christ, the Saints, and angels".

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This thread is about whether women should participate in a day to promote women having the same rights as men to go topless in public. Stay on topic.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is about whether women should participate in a day to promote women having the same rights as men to go topless in public. Stay on topic.

Ok, so, back to the topic, no. I don't feel that Christian women should participate in this. Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0