May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you view modesty as cultural or absolute?

Absolute. Finding that absolute is very tough, though. All I can do is describe my own standard for dress- covered legs, a crew neck, 3/4 length sleeves or full sleeves, loose / fairly loose clothing (nothing skin-tight), and nothing ripped or gaudy.

I try and think in a general way, what do I see in icons (Eastern Orthodox / Catholic religious art work used in worship), and take the general standards for what's covered as my own, even if what I've got in my closet is jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Absolute. Finding that absolute is very tough, though. All I can do is describe my own standard for dress- covered legs, a crew neck, 3/4 length sleeves or full sleeves, loose / fairly loose clothing (nothing skin-tight), and nothing ripped or gaudy.

I try and think in a general way, what do I see in icons (Eastern Orthodox / Catholic religious art work used in worship), and take the general standards for what's covered as my own, even if what I've got in my closet is jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt.

Do you think modesty is more than preventing lust? Bikinis seem embarassing apart from the lust.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think modesty is more than preventing lust? Bikinis seem embarassing apart from the lust.

Lol, yeah. I think in general it's foolish and vain to parade your body and flaunt your flesh, even if there's no one to look and get ideas.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lol, yeah. I think in general it's foolish and vain to parade your body and flaunt your flesh, even if there's no one to look and get ideas.

What is your view on this?

God's Definition Of “Nakedness”
The Bible tells us in Isaiah 47:2-3 that NAKEDNESS means a woman exposing her legs and thighs...

Isaiah 47:1-3, “Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: there is no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called tender and delicate. Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers. Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.”

I found some interesting Hebrew meanings to numerous words in Isaiah 47:2. The word “locks” is the Hebrew word tsammah and means “a veil.” So the Bible speaks of a woman uncovering her veil. We gain further insight by the next phrase, “make bare the leg.” The words “make bare” (Hebrew: chasaph) means “to strip off, make naked.” And the word “leg” is the Hebrew word shobel which means, “to flow; a lady’s train (as trailing after her).”

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I once surfed a web site of early Christian art. It was amazing how many of the pictures from the Roman Catacombs were of naked Mary and the Baby Jesus, naked angels and naked people. of course today one has to go looking for those unless one goes to the old churches in Europe and the Vatican.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, Sir, it commands modest apparel, and then forbids jewelry, plaiting / braiding / fancy styling of hair, and the habit of dressing to attract attention.
Your interpretation, and you are entitled to your interpretation, but that isn't the way it is written.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

During the Ethiopian famine of 1984, I saw a topless Ethiopian woman talking to a news reporter. Her breasts were absolutely flat (no fat left) and she pinched one of her nipples to show that she had no milk for her baby.

Do you think male viewers found this arousing?
I found it tragic.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
During the Ethiopian famine of 1984, I saw a topless Ethiopian woman talking to a news reporter. Her breasts were absolutely flat (no fat left) and she pinched one of her nipples to show that she had no milk for her baby.

Do you think male viewers found this arousing?
I found it tragic.

Seeing a naked man isn't arousing but it is shameful and degrading.

The issue with being nude is more than tempting lust, it is shameful and degrading.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't see being nude a shame or degrading as long as its by their own choice. The Bible comments about shame and nudity are in the context of a person not being able to protect their family from violent men, like foreign armies. Which also means their women were raped and all their resources to feed their family were taken from them. The shame was in not providing. Think the great depression and how many men were broken and ashamed because they couldn't find a way to provide for their family.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't see being nude a shame or degrading as long as its by their own choice. The Bible comments about shame and nudity are in the context of a person not being able to protect their family from violent men, like foreign armies. Which also means their women were raped and all their resources to feed their family were taken from them. The shame was in not providing. Think the great depression and how many men were broken and ashamed because they couldn't find a way to provide for their family.

What the Bible Says about Public Nudity
We find this image of clothing as a symbol of God's mercy and redemption throughout the Old and New Testaments. See, for example, Psalm 45:13, 14 and Revelation 19:8. On the other hand, from Genesis 3 onward Scripture seems to make it clear that, except in the case of sexual activity, it's a shameful thing to "uncover one's nakedness" (Genesis 20:20-27; Leviticus 18:6-18). Indeed, the reasoning here seems to be that nakedness is inextricably connected with sexual activity. This is exactly how the Jewish people have viewed public nudity throughout their long history.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Seeing a naked man isn't arousing but it is shameful and degrading.

The issue with being nude is more than tempting lust, it is shameful and degrading.
We are not talking about anyone going nude in this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You don't think it says breasts are nudity?
No, they are not.

Still waiting for answers to my questions. Do you believe that women should not wear any bright colors. Do you believe that women shouldn't expose their legs. You have posted evidence saying both of those things.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, they are not.

Still waiting for answers to my questions. Do you believe that women should not wear any bright colors. Do you believe that women shouldn't expose their legs. You have posted evidence saying both of those things.

Isn't it common sense that women's nipples are nude parts?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Isn't it common sense that women's nipples are nude parts?

Why do you expect everyone to answer your questions while ignoring questions that are asked of you? Answer my questions first. Do you believe that women should not wear any bright colors. Do you believe that women shouldn't expose their legs. You have posted evidence saying both of those things.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why do you expect everyone to answer your questions while ignoring questions that are asked of you? Answer my questions first. Do you believe that women should not wear any bright colors. Do you believe that women shouldn't expose their legs. You have posted evidence saying both of those things.

I wish a person with more bibical knowledge would comment

Upvote 0