United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
National Council of Churches calls for Kavanaugh's nomination to be withdrawn

The National Council of Churches, which has membership from more than 40 denominations including most major Protestant and Eastern Orthodox denominations in the U.S., wrote in a statement on their website that they believe Kavanaugh has “disqualified himself from this lifetime appointment and must step aside immediately.”

The statement cited a number of reasons for the demand, including Kavanaugh’s behavior during his recent testimony in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee on sexual assault allegations against him.

More and more people and groups coming out against his nomination. I don't understand why the GOP senators have made this their hill to die on. It's not like there's any shortage of nominees that can still push through a conservative agenda on SCOTUS. Gorsuch didn't have any of the same issues and he went to the same school only 2 years apart.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The idea that any Conservative can be destroyed with no evidence against him is something the GOP should fight against

If the Left blocks Kavanaugh then any Conservative will face endless accusations with no evidence until they too are nullified

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But the left isn't doing it to all candidates. Gorsuch again, had zero issues. Which makes Kavanaugh even more suspect in my mind.

Even without the accusations, I watched the entirety of his hearing on Thursday and it was just disgraceful and unbefitting for someone trying to be a member of the SCOTUS

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea that any Conservative can be destroyed with no evidence against him is something the GOP should fight against

If the Left blocks Kavanaugh then any Conservative will face endless accusations with no evidence until they too are nullified
The statement cited a number of reasons for the demand, including Kavanaugh’s behavior during his recent testimony in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee on sexual assault allegations against him.

This has gone beyond the Ford vs Kavanaugh issue.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But the left isn't doing it to all candidates. Gorsuch again, had zero issues. Which makes Kavanaugh even more suspect in my mind.
This has been explained over and over again by various TV commentators and court watchers.

Gorsuch got several more votes only than the number necessary for confirmation while the great majority of the Democrat Senators voted against him, so it was not exactly a highpoint in the history of the Senate for bi-partisanship. But he was seen as a Conservative replacement for the leader of the Conservative justices, Antonin Scalia. With this nominee, however, the swing vote (Kennedy) is being replaced, meaning that there is expected to be a shift to the Right with Kavanaugh as part of the majority.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Kavanaugh lied and he displays a partisan temperment that makes him unfit to be judge.

As much as Democrats dislike Gorsuch's judicial record, he did at least display the minimum integrity to be a judge. Democrats may not have been thrilled with him, but they could at least recognize the legitimacy of the procedures.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Kavanaugh lied and he displays a partisan temperment that makes him unfit to be judge.

As much as Democrats dislike Gorsuch's judicial record, he did at least display the minimum integrity to be a judge. Democrats may not have been thrilled with him, but they could at least recognize the legitimacy of the procedures.

What did he lie about?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The sex terms just completely stood out to a lot of people. And people from his high school and college years have also come out and said he straight out lied and pulled support after watching the hearing on Thursday.

Here's another one from just today from his college roommate. I Was Brett Kavanaugh’s College Roommate. He Lied Under Oath About His Drinking and Terms in His Yearbook.

I do not know if Brett attacked Christine Blasey Ford in high school or if he sexually humiliated Debbie in front of a group of people she thought were her friends. But I can say that he lied under oath. He claimed that he occasionally drank too much but never enough to forget details of the night before, never enough to “black out.” He did, regularly. He said that “boofing” was farting and the “Devil’s Triangle” was a drinking game. “Boofing” and “Devil’s Triangle” are sexual references. I know this because I heard Brett and his friends using these terms on multiple occasions.

I don't care if he was a raging alcoholic in his younger days. But he lied about it under oath, and that to me, is disqualifying. As I said before, I watched the hearing, and I've done my share of job interviews. Not everyone has a perfect past, and that's okay, but if a candidate was that evasive about answering questions or straight up lied like he did, there's no way I would continue with the interview or keep them under consideration. It would be a simple thank you, we're done here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Brett's a political operative, he always has been. He gave answers that might fly in politics, but not in court. That's one of the reason he had trouble answering about his participation in Bush's questionable torture policies. He's used to slithering through the swamp of politics, that was part of the atmosphere he was immersed in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Brett's a political operative, he always has been. He gave answers that might fly in politics, but not in court. That's one of the reason he had trouble answering about his participation in Bush's questionable torture policies. He's used to slithering through the swamp of politics, that was part of the atmosphere he was immersed in.

Speaking of which...

EPIC on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The NCC mostly represents mainline Protestant and historic Black churches, and also some Orthodox churches. Back in the 50's and 60's they were highly culturally significant, even contributing to translations of the Bible (such as the Revised Standard Version), but today they are much more marginalized in American religion, due to the rise of Billy-Graham style Evangelicalism, the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement, and the increase in the percentage of Catholics in the US (who historically rejected the NCC and its style of ecumenical cooperation).

So I don't expect this will sway the country a great deal.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

More and more people and groups coming out against his nomination. I don't understand why the GOP senators have made this their hill to die on. It's not like there's any shortage of nominees that can still push through a conservative agenda on SCOTUS. Gorsuch didn't have any of the same issues and he went to the same school only 2 years apart.
The Dems didn't expect that Trump would get another SCOTUS appointee.

The Churches apparently aren't any more interested in the facts then the Dems.

As Cory Booker said, "It doesn't matter if he is innocent."

Your title should have read, "National Council of Churches approves of Character Assassination and False Accusations in order to prevent a conservative justice from being named to the Supreme Court."

I guess that would have been both too many characters and too much honesty.

Facts be damned (vote Democratic)

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More and more people and groups coming out against his nomination.

...and?

I don't understand why the GOP senators have made this their hill to die on.

It's political. It's plausible that the Dem's could retake the Senate in Nov. So, the Rep's can't wait that long and risk losing the seat. There's simply not enough time to ensure the seat with another nominee. At least, I bet that's the calculation. If Rep's keep the Senate, then yea, there's two years of time.

It's not like there's any shortage of nominees that can still push through a conservative agenda on SCOTUS.

But there is a shortage of political time.

Gorsuch didn't have any of the same issues and he went to the same school only 2 years apart.

Gorsuch was also replacing a "conservative" seat. No need to put up a drawn out battle for the status quo. The Dem's miscalculated in that a "swing vote" seat opened up. With hindsight, I bet they wish they had put up a bigger fight over Gorsuch. But at the time, such a battle may have been politically risky and costly.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The link in this article that he is quoting from, the Weekly Standard, doesn't work "page not found".
I tried to find it but it didn't come up in a search.
I didn't find this one though that you may be interested in.
The Anger of Brett Kavanaugh

Considering the article I posted is 13 years old that's not surprising, websites get update from time to time and things get deleted.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The link in this article that he is quoting from, the Weekly Standard, doesn't work "page not found".
I tried to find it but it didn't come up in a search.
I didn't find this one though that you may be interested in.
The Anger of Brett Kavanaugh

Sounds like he's tired of the silliness in DC and I can't say I blame him. If politicians were held to the same standard that some want to hold him to only about 20% of the 500+ seats would be filled. And I have no doubt that the ones wanting to deep six him now wouldn't even have a seat in DC.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This is a “hill to die on.” This notion uncorroborated allegations of sexual misconduct and public indecency can impede a nominee to the Court is untenable. This sends a clear, unequivocal message, that uncorroborated allegations of sexual misconduct will not be permitted to keep nominees off the bench. Mere accusations are not sufficient to destroy the career and reputation of a nominee.

Upvote 0