Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I tried watching it on Cartoon Network...but...I couldn't stand sitting there as dozens of people repeat what just happened. So, I decided to watch on Youtube. That way, I can skip past all that nonsense. And after I started doing that, I fell in love with Naruto. My favorite character is Shikamaru (with his love interest Temari). He's lazy, he's smart, he's sexist, just like me.
Do you watch it in Japanese, or in English? I watched part of an episode in English, and I just couldn't stand it!

My favourite characters are Naruto-san ('cause he rocks!), Jiraiya-sensei (because he's funny and good with the chickies!), Kakashi-sensei ('cause he's a man's man!), and, of course, Shikamaru. I'm not sure if Shikamaru is sexist though... I think he's realistic. Men are made to be leaders, and woman the nurishers of the household and children. Shikamaru, and indeed Japanese society, realizes this; portraying the correct roles well. If you get the chance, you should come to Asia! People generally know their place in society much better here, and it's a safer part of the world to live in as a result. :)

Upvote 0

ScarletWitch

If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
Aug 10, 2005
✟11,303.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
JUST IGNORE HIM, ALEAH! BOTH OF THESE MALES ARE CLOSED-MINDED, DISCRIMINATORY INDIVIDUALS THAT ARE CONVINCED THAT A Y CHROMOSOME MAKES THEM SUPERIOR. YOU AND I BOTH KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT TRUE AND I DON'T WANT YOU TO GET YOUR CF ACCOUNT DELETED BECAUSE OF A SENSELESS ARGUEMENT. YOU CAN VENT ALL YOU WANT TO ME AT SCHOOL BUT JUST DON'T RESPOND TO THE POSTS!

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
JUST IGNORE HIM, ALEAH! BOTH OF THESE MALES ARE CLOSED-MINDED, DISCRIMINATORY INDIVIDUALS THAT ARE CONVINCED THAT A Y CHROMOSOME MAKES THEM SUPERIOR. YOU AND I BOTH KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT TRUE AND I DON'T WANT YOU TO GET YOUR CF ACCOUNT DELETED BECAUSE OF A SENSELESS ARGUEMENT. YOU CAN VENT ALL YOU WANT TO ME AT SCHOOL BUT JUST DON'T RESPOND TO THE POSTS!
I don't think I'm closed-minded (overly) or convinced that males are superior to females. I didn't call anyone names, either. I have a belief, and evidence to back it up, that males and females have different roles in this world. That doesn't make one sex better than the other. Woman, on general, have always been better nourishers and homekeepers than men, while men, in general, are better suited to provide and lead. This isn't some big conspiracy, it's a fact of life that virtually all cultures and social groups realize. This is also how God made us, as is outlined in God's Word, whether you believe it or not.

Naruto portrays this, through Japanese traditional culture, humourously. :)

Upvote 0

WitchHazel

Apr 13, 2006
✟8,056.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
unlike Scarlet, i can actually keep calm while discussing this. In my opinion men and women are equal and could both pull off being a nurturing or leaders/providors. i know people with only one parent and those parents have to play both roles so there for neither sex is better or worse than the other at either of these tasks. it is simply that since the beginning of the human race (ok technacly the start of pretty much any animal.) our instimcs tell us to either be a leader or a nurturur (sp?) but we are able to override these instincs and become either one no matter what our gender. i still say that shikamaru isn't technacally sexist but some of the comments here are, no offense to anyone. but i am a feminist and i still try to fight for women rights but i can do so in a calm manner, and i really don't care if my account gets deleted because i'm only expressing my opinion and i understand that everyone here has their own opinion as well.

Upvote 0

Happy Orthodox

Aug 9, 2004
The lone star state
✟8,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Shikaramu doesn't really believe his sexist remarks, they are just jokes (he's a crybaby himself, c'mon)! Female ninjas are different than normal women, as well as male ninjas are different from regular men. But, nevertheless, being a feminist, I think women are generally better with kids than men, althouth I've seen men who were pretty good. Men are better with... hmm... chess? *runs away and hides behind the couch*

I started watching Naruto on Youtube when I came across some music videos (while I watched AMV's for other animes just out of curiocity), and especially the part when Sacura blossomed. Being a good ol' feminist myself, I kinda liked the idea of a strong woman (Sacura is a strong person, actually, and I don't mean only phisically) getting a hold of herself like that and kicking everyone's ***es. But when I watched that part of Naruto, I couldn't understand a lot of what was going on, so I had to watch it from the beginning. On youtube, that is. I detested the English version all together (I just can't stand my dear Naruto sounding like that!!! Makes my skin crowl, ttebayo!). So when I watched it from the beginning, I fell in love with Naruto-kun, I think he's a character to learn a lot from. But I was going to stop watching it right after the war ended if only I didn't end up with a crush on certain someone :blush: So, now, I guess, I'm hooked. Well, shippuden is out now, and it's awsome. Go Naruto!

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
unlike Scarlet, i can actually keep calm while discussing this. In my opinion men and women are equal and could both pull off being a nurturing or leaders/providors. i know people with only one parent and those parents have to play both roles so there for neither sex is better or worse than the other at either of these tasks. it is simply that since the beginning of the human race (ok technacly the start of pretty much any animal.) our instimcs tell us to either be a leader or a nurturur (sp?) but we are able to override these instincs and become either one no matter what our gender. i still say that shikamaru isn't technacally sexist but some of the comments here are, no offense to anyone. but i am a feminist and i still try to fight for women rights but i can do so in a calm manner, and i really don't care if my account gets deleted because i'm only expressing my opinion and i understand that everyone here has their own opinion as well.
I'm not against the idea that there are exceptions to the norms of gender rolls. I will advocate there are norms, though, and that they're built into our persons from birth; depending on gender. However, there are always exceptions. Even when there isn't, they can be overcome by hard work in many cases. The toughest of men can become a soft and tender nurturer, while the most feminine of woman can become a wise, fair, strong and respected leader.

Happy Orthodox said:
I detested the English version all together...
I watched part of an episode in English, and it was absolute rubbish. I usually watch it on YouTube as well, because I miss quite a bit if I try it without English subtitles on Japanese TV!

Shikaramu doesn't really believe his sexist remarks, they are just jokes (he's a crybaby himself, c'mon)! Female ninjas are different than normal women, as well as male ninjas are different from regular men. But, nevertheless, being a feminist, I think women are generally better with kids than men, althouth I've seen men who were pretty good. Men are better with... hmm... chess? *runs away and hides behind the couch*
:D

For the record, Sakura has a 'k', not a 'c.' In Japanese (and in Korean, while I'm at it), there is no 'c.' :)

Upvote 0

WitchHazel

Apr 13, 2006
✟8,056.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
yeah, it's true, although there are norms and steryotypes, they can be overcome. and as to Sakura, i don't mean to be insulting, but i really don't think she's too strong. she almost always has to be saved by someone. of course this is only an opinion. once again no offense. i personally like Hinata, because although at first she seems weak, she really isn't weak. she may want to have Naruto save her, but she doesn't need it. Also, my friend was able to figure out that the strongest character on Naruto is Tsunade! I find that really cool! oh great, now Rachael's got me ranting.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Also, my friend was able to figure out that the strongest character on Naruto is Tsunade.
I'd say that Orochimaru is definitely stronger then Tsunade. As well, Jiraiya is just as strong, perhaps stronger, when his mind isn't distracted. Both Naruto and Sasuke, when they are in their most powerful forms (like in fox demon form), might match or exceed her strength.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WitchHazel

Apr 13, 2006
✟8,056.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
yeah, but...oh shoot, i can't remember how Ray explained it, but she actually went on this long rant with me on how in a chain reaction of one character being stronger than the one mentioned before them, Tsunade ends up on top! But yeah, in Naruto's Demon form, he's probably stronger. I still find it amazing that Rachael has so much time on her hands that she can come up with these huge, long rants on random stuff like this. And now she's got me ranting on here now that she's gone. RANTING IS CONTAGIOUS!

Upvote 0

WitchHazel

Apr 13, 2006
✟8,056.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
ok i just had a really cool plot twist idea. ya know how Yondaime is Naruto's dad and the Akatsuki leader. well what if when Naruto has to face off with Yondaime, he finds out that he's under some sort of hyposis jutsu that turned him evil, that can only be taken off in death. so then, the only way that Naruto can save Yondaime from the jutsu, defeat the Akatsuki, and save everyone is by...KILLING HIS OWN FATHER!(dun dun dun.) but to give it a somewhat happy ending, Yondaime's spirit shows up before passing on and he tells Naruto how proud he is of him and they have a total father-son-moment before Yondaime's spirit passes on.

Upvote 0

Happy Orthodox

Aug 9, 2004
The lone star state
✟8,880.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yondaime is dead... definately. unquestionably. inevitably. deceased.

So, he CANNOT be the AL (Akatsuki Leader). Besides, in the manga colored by Kishimoto himself, the AL has ORANGE hair. Also, as I wrote this somewhere already: listen to the AL's voice in ep. 135, and see if sweet and cute Yondaime could have a bass like that... When Yondaime spoke, birds chirped and butterflies flew around in flower fields. When the AL speaks, the ground shakes. COME ON!!! Geez

That doesn't lessen the AL's hotness, however :D

Breetal, well, there are plenty of strong cues scattered in the manga. I don't have a trace of doubt that Yondaime is Naruto's father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.