Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I would love to give my kids really ethic names. However, the problem with that is, that if you live in a society like North America, it is hard for others to pronounce your name.

I have seen many people who couldnt even pronounce the simplist ethic names. The names get totally butchured and that sucks!

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tsarina said:
I have seen many people who couldnt even pronounce the simplist ethic names. The names get totally butchured and that sucks!

Again, this is not just a North American problem. My maiden name is Clark, and I can think of a whole culture that can't pronounce it. It doesn't get much simpler than "Clark," but I'm not going to look down on my Chinese friends because an L and an R back to back is something they don't run into very often. My Russian teacher can't say the word "vowel" to save her life, but it's not because she's uncultured.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ufonium2 said:
Again, this is not just a North American problem. My maiden name is Clark, and I can think of a whole culture that can't pronounce it. It doesn't get much simpler than "Clark," but I'm not going to look down on my Chinese friends because an L and an R back to back is something they don't run into very often. My Russian teacher can't say the word "vowel" to save her life, but it's not because she's uncultured.
Yup, my first name is Joel and that is a very difficult combo of letters for most Asian people. It usually comes out as "Jo", but I let it go, because I know they're trying.

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Most Holy Theotokos save us!
Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
ufonium2 said:

Hmm, i see, i guess your right, its not just a North American problem. However, i find it cute and funny at the same time when people cant pronounce words that are so simple to us.

On the other hand, it can get really annoying when people mess up your name that you really like. Ah!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.