Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In your church, maybe. In Roman Catholicism it is deuterocanonical, and it is effectively canonical in the Episcopal Church and in the high church Continuing Anglican churches of North America, and in other Anglican churches it is effectively deuterocanonical, although they call it apocrypha, but what they mean by it is different from what you mean. And in the Orthodox Church Tobit is protocanonical.

Like most books omitted from the Masoretic Text, Tobit was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, which also attested to the validity of the Septuagint, which is the version of the Old Testament primarily quoted by the New Testament, which makes sense, given that the New Testament is written in Greek. The most recently compiled book some regard as deuterocanon or apocrypha, the collection of prophecies known as the Wisdom of Solomon or as The Book of Wisdom, dates from 66 BC and contains a direct prophecy of the Passion of Christ our True God.
And it is written in Hebrew - not Greek.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Pastors (whether Presbyters or Bishops) pronounce absolution whether following a general confession of an entire congregation, such as in the Anglican divine office or Holy Communion service, or an individual auricular confession as practiced by Anglicans, Lutherans, Orthodox, Catholics and many other denominations, they do so in the name of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ, because it is Christ who is actually forgiving the sins. Indeed when engaging in auricular confession in Eastern Orthodoxy, one faces an icon of Christ, and venerates the cross after the Absolution.

What the Pastors are doing is using the “Office of the Keys” as some Calvinists call it, that is to say, the ability to bind or remit sins, to remit them, as per Matthew chapter 16, etc. But the people confess to Christ and are forgiven by Christ, for it is through His redemptive Passion on the Holy Cross their absolution and renewal is possible. And not only that, but also their sanctification, for Christ restored and glorified our human nature, and sent his Holy Spirit to be our Paraclete and Comforter, to dwell within us and enable us to attain Theosis. This is the faith clearly expressed by the early church, which is still taught by the Orthodox, and which was also taught by John Wesley, and also apparently Martin Luther expressed views favorable to it (and I recall @hedrick stating that John Calvin expressed some views akin to Theosis). One might also argue that the Roman doctrine of the Beatific Vision is something akin to Theosis, although I am not at all sure about that, as much as I love the Catholic Church, I feel the Beatific Vision is an innovation of Scholastic Theology and a departure from Patristic theology, if I am understanding it correctly, and is underwhelming compared to Theosis, or Entire Sanctification as John Wesley called it.
And looking at Matt 16:19 is not talking about the forgiven of SINS , but what about John 20: 22 and 23 here the disciples in verse 22 were given the power of the Holy Spirit ,

then in verse 23 given the POWER to Remit SINS .

# 1 This power was ONLY given to the 11 disciples !!

# 2 There is NOT SUCCESION and there are not one verse that says anyone CAN REMIT SINS today at all !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Mark 2: 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise, take up your bed and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the paralytic, 11 “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”
(Luke 10:16 ESV) "The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me."
(John 20:23 ESV) If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld."

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Tobit is an apocryphal book - it was written in Hebrew - not Greek.
I beg you, O Lord, that you may absolve me from the chains of this reproach, or at least take me away from the earth.[Tob 3:15]
It is canonical for me and remains valid for me.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I beg you, O Lord, that you may absolve me from the chains of this reproach, or at least take me away from the earth.[Tob 3:15]
It is canonical for me and remains valid for me.
Point missed: the poster stated they could not fin absolution in the Greek and you replied with a verse that was written in Hebrew.

Upvote 0