Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
According to what? Matthias was "Matthias the Apostle". His name is carved on one of the twelve foundations of the Holy City.
According to the early Church and Acts. Jesus Great commission.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Just thinking , just where is the Greek word absolution found in the bible ?

dan p

συγχώρεση and ἀφίημι

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Priests, Bishop, Cardinals, the Pope.
The Greek for APOSTLES // APOSTOLOS just means a MESSENGER !!

The only Priest in Israel had to come and HAD to be sons of AARON .

In the MILLENNIAL KINGOM the 12 apostles will seat on 12 thrones judging Israel and there are NO priest today because Israwl was set aside as written in Acts 28:25-28 when said he TURN to the GENTILES !!

DAN P

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The Greek for APOSTLES // APOSTOLOS just means a MESSENGER !!

The only Priest in Israel had to come and HAD to be sons of AARON .

In the MILLENNIAL KINGOM the 12 apostles will seat on 12 thrones judging Israel and there are NO priest today because Israwl was set aside as written in Acts 28:25-28 when said he TURN to nthe GENTILES !!

DAN P
Essentially, priest comes from a German word. They are the elders of the new covenant.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think the question is why use the specific word "absolution" when scripture does not?

Scripture doesn't use any English words, since English didn't exist when Scripture was written.

As far as using words that aren't directly used in the Bible, we do all the time and it's hardly an issue. No one is going to find a Greek equivalent to the word "Trinity" in the Bible at all.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They could be the 24 elders that sit around the glassy sea in heaven. ;)
They are not seen in the book of the Revelation EVER !!

Matt 19:28 says that they will set on 12 thrones , JUDGDING the 12 tribes of Israel ,and the are all jews and not Gentiles .

dan p

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They are not seen in the book of the Revelation EVER !!

Matt 19:28 says that they will set on 12 thrones , JUDGDING the 12 tribes of Israel ,and the are all jews and not Gentiles .

dan p
Odd that you say that; their names are inscribed on the 12 gates of the heavenly Jerusalem, as described in Revelation.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Scripture doesn't use any English words, since English didn't exist when Scripture was written.

As far as using words that aren't directly used in the Bible, we do all the time and it's hardly an issue. No one is going to find a Greek equivalent to the word "Trinity" in the Bible at all.

-CryptoLutheran
Amen!

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no basis to claim that Acts 2:44-45 is not applicable still. Nothing has changed between then and now. The problem is the hyper-dispensationalist hermeneutic you are applying to the Bible.

The sin of Ananias and Sapphira wasn't that they retained part of the money they acquired from selling their property, but that they lied about it. They were being deceitful and trying to look more generous than they actually were.

"But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, and with his wife's knowledge he kept back for himself some of the proceeds and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, 'Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God.'" - Acts 5:1-4

Notice what Peter says, while Ananias owned the property, it was his to do what he wanted with it. He was under no obligation to sell it. After he sold it, the money he acquired was also his to do with as he pleased. He was under no obligation to give it to the apostles. It was that he was deceitful, lying, and trying to pull a scam that he had sinned, for he sought not merely to deceive people, but God. The result of this deceit is that Ananias fell down dead. The gravity of punishment for this raises questions about precisely how severe this scam was which we may not be privy to; but it is clear that the sin wasn't that Ananias sold his property and retained some of the money, but that he lied and tried to deceive.

That makes it pretty clear, at least to me, that selling one's possessions was not a requirement of being a Christian, not even at this early time. In Acts 2:44-45 the selling of possession and having all things in common did not originate as a commandment, but was entirely voluntary--done out of mutual love.

And your understanding of Luke 12:32-33 is likewise a misunderstanding, because the context provides us with relevant information about what the Lord is saying.

"And He said to His disciples, 'Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! And which of you being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.'
" - Luke 12:22-34

The Christian is to treasure not the things of this world, but rather have another treasure: The reign of God by which He rules over all creation, who makes provision for His creation and who will provide for us. God's reign, where the last is first, the least is greatest, and the slave is greater than all. The reign of God, where the humble are exalted, and the proud made lowly. God who dresses the field with flowers, and who provides seed for the birds, who knows the number of hairs on our head, and considers the sparrow--He knows our needs, He knows what we need and will provide it. Therefore we should not worry or be anxious about tomorrow, we should not despair over what might be.

"Sell what you own and give to the needy" is in the context of not worrying, and not clinging to our material possessions out of anxiety that we may lack without them; God will provide. It is not a commandment to own nothing, that every single Christian must never own anything. If it were, then we sin for owning clothes on our back, buying food for our table, for spending our money from daily labor for the roof over our head, providing for our spouses and children, etc. And that is not the case. It was never the case. And that is never how the Church has understood it.

It is not having things that is forbidden, but rather it is the lack of faith in God's provision and regarding the things of God chief in our hearts as our real treasure that the Lord wishes to correct. Trust in God, God reigns, His promises and faithfulness is found in everything.

If I am left homeless and on the street, God has not failed His promise to me; God will still be faithful.
If I am found with many things, but cling to these rather than to God's promise, I put my faith in the things which rot, which rust, and are consumed by moth. The clothes I wear will wear out, they will fade, and one day no longer exist. Houses can be burned down, or destroyed, and crumble with the passage of time. But God's promise will never fade, God reigns--what He says cannot pass away, or crumble, or turn to dust. If we are converted, and conform our minds to the ways of God, if our hearts are set upon the things that last, the things of God, then we learn to trust in the Lord and His provision. Therefore do not be anxious, do not worry, to not despair, God is with us and He is for us.

That is the lesson to be learned. That's the lesson I need to learn.

I struggle with anxiety, I stress about finances, about taxes, about bills, about having enough to get through each month. What the Lord is saying to me, as He says to all of us, is set our minds and our hearts upon the things of God, to learn to trust Him for everything.

And that, that is true in every circumstance of life. Regardless if we are talking about the first Christians who gathered around the Lord's feet as He taught them in parables, or whether it is we today who hear the same Lord through the divinely inspired Gospel text.
It is the same Jesus Christ who speaks.

-CryptoLutheran
Just excellent.

• Agree
Upvote 0