Occasional Member
Jul 31, 2004
At Home
✟747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Their are as many names for God as ways to describe him. Instead of reciting worn out cliches, shouldn't we find new and exciting ways to bring a smile to Gods face? I'm somewhat taking a page from The Purpose Driven Life here. God wants every act of our lives to be done with goal of bringing Him glory. Please list as many names for God or original ways to worship Him as possible.
God
Father
Son
Holy Spirit
(etc.)
Sign Language Ministry
T-Shirt Message Ministry
(etc.)

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
onlyzc said:
Explain the Last Adam.

In Romans 5:12-21 we read that Jesus is a type of Adam. Since Adam was the representative head of man, the guilt of sin was placed on all his posterity (namely everyone alive--thus we are all sinners by virtue of Adam). In the same way, Christ is the representative head of all who believe in him. So Adam's sin is imputed onto us, but when one is brought into the fold of Christ, Christ's righteousness is imputed onto you. You are either in Adam or in Christ. Some people who claim that Adam was not a real figure but just a mythological story to explain creation must tackle this text for Adam here is presented as a historical figure and contrasted with Christ. If Adam is not real, but a metaphor what stops someone from saying that Christ is a metaphor... but that goes beyond your question. ;)

Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned--
Rom 5:13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.
Rom 5:14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.
Rom 5:15 But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.
Rom 5:16 And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification.
Rom 5:17 If, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.
Rom 5:18 Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.
Rom 5:19 For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.
Rom 5:20 Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,
Rom 5:21 so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Upvote 0

doc329

In His Service
Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2004
Guilford New York
✟418,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

The Bible tells us that the first man, Adam, was created by God, in His image and likeness, directly from the dust of the ground. God breathed into Adam’s nostrils the breath of life, and he became a living soul (Genesis 1:26–27; 2:7). Thus, Adam was not the product of some form of theistic evolution.1 God did not make him in the image or likeness of an ape, nor from a ‘lower hominid’ by any lengthy or even abrupt mutational processes.2 Rather God created Adam as an immediate act, by His word (i.e. by commanding or willing this to happen), at some time on the sixth day of Creation week.3

While Adam was made in the image of God, Christ is ‘the image of the invisible God’ (Colossians 1:15).

The Bible tells us that the last Adam, Jesus Christ, was the One through whom God created all things (John 1:1–3; Colossians 1:15–20; Hebrews 1:2). Thus Jesus was pre-existent with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit before Adam lived (John 8:58; Micah 5:2).4 Nevertheless, in His humanity, He too had a miraculous beginning when He was incarnated as a human being—conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary (Matthew 1:20–23; Luke 1:26–35)

Adam was created a perfect man, in full possession of all human faculties, and with a God-consciousness which enabled him to have spiritual communion with God. Initially innocent, sinless, and holy, he was in a right relationship to God, to woman, to himself, and to the natural world around him.

The last Adam, Jesus, was also perfectly man, one with God (John 10:30; 17:21-22), innocent, sinless, and holy (Hebrews 7:26). Many people mistakenly refer to Jesus Christ as the ‘second Adam’, a term not found in the Bible. However, Scripture refers to Christ as the ‘second man’ (1 Corinthians 15:47). There have been many men since Adam, but Jesus Christ was only the second man to ever be completely without sin.

Unlike the first Adam, the Lord Jesus was, in addition, divine, having the attributes, offices, prerogatives, and names of deity. Being fully God, He is worthy of worship (e.g. Revelation 5:11–14).

Adam was the head of the human race. Jesus Christ is the head of redeemed humanity (see, for example, Ephesians 5:23). Since Christ died once for all time (Hebrews 7:27; 9:28; 10:10–14), there will never be the need for any further ‘Adam.’ Hence He is the last Adam.

The first Adam gave life to all his descendants. The last Adam, Jesus Christ, communicates ‘life’ and ‘light’ to all men, and gives eternal life to those who receive Him and believe on His name, giving them ‘power to become the sons of God’ (John 1:1–14).

Adam, representing mankind, was given dominion over the created world (Genesis 1:26). After being raised from the dead, Jesus Christ was elevated to God’s right hand, and given dominion over all things, which were ‘put under his feet.’ (1 Corinthians 15:27; Ephesians 1:20–22). The first Adam was lord over a limited domain, the last Adam is Lord of all (Acts 10:36).

Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
doc329 said:
The Bible tells us that the first man, Adam, was created by God, in His image and likeness, directly from the dust of the ground. God breathed into Adam’s nostrils the breath of life, and he became a living soul (Genesis 1:26–27; 2:7). Thus, Adam was not the product of some form of theistic evolution.1 God did not make him in the image or likeness of an ape, nor from a ‘lower hominid’ by any lengthy or even abrupt mutational processes.2 Rather God created Adam as an immediate act, by His word (i.e. by commanding or willing this to happen), at some time on the sixth day of Creation week.3

While Adam was made in the image of God, Christ is ‘the image of the invisible God’ (Colossians 1:15).

The Bible tells us that the last Adam, Jesus Christ, was the One through whom God created all things (John 1:1–3; Colossians 1:15–20; Hebrews 1:2). Thus Jesus was pre-existent with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit before Adam lived (John 8:58; Micah 5:2).4 Nevertheless, in His humanity, He too had a miraculous beginning when He was incarnated as a human being—conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary (Matthew 1:20–23; Luke 1:26–35)

Adam was created a perfect man, in full possession of all human faculties, and with a God-consciousness which enabled him to have spiritual communion with God. Initially innocent, sinless, and holy, he was in a right relationship to God, to woman, to himself, and to the natural world around him.

The last Adam, Jesus, was also perfectly man, one with God (John 10:30; 17:21-22), innocent, sinless, and holy (Hebrews 7:26). Many people mistakenly refer to Jesus Christ as the ‘second Adam’, a term not found in the Bible. However, Scripture refers to Christ as the ‘second man’ (1 Corinthians 15:47). There have been many men since Adam, but Jesus Christ was only the second man to ever be completely without sin.

Unlike the first Adam, the Lord Jesus was, in addition, divine, having the attributes, offices, prerogatives, and names of deity. Being fully God, He is worthy of worship (e.g. Revelation 5:11–14).

Adam was the head of the human race. Jesus Christ is the head of redeemed humanity (see, for example, Ephesians 5:23). Since Christ died once for all time (Hebrews 7:27; 9:28; 10:10–14), there will never be the need for any further ‘Adam.’ Hence He is the last Adam.

The first Adam gave life to all his descendants. The last Adam, Jesus Christ, communicates ‘life’ and ‘light’ to all men, and gives eternal life to those who receive Him and believe on His name, giving them ‘power to become the sons of God’ (John 1:1–14).

Adam, representing mankind, was given dominion over the created world (Genesis 1:26). After being raised from the dead, Jesus Christ was elevated to God’s right hand, and given dominion over all things, which were ‘put under his feet.’ (1 Corinthians 15:27; Ephesians 1:20–22). The first Adam was lord over a limited domain, the last Adam is Lord of all (Acts 10:36).

I am surprised the AIG article left out the Romans passage as it is the chief exposition of the concept of the 'last Adam' in scripture.

Upvote 0

sing4him

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2005
Arkansas
✟20,194.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Here are some names/descriptions that come to mind:

Prince of Peace
Lord of lords
King of kings
Mighty One
Shepherd
Counselor
My Strength
Lion of Judah
My Redeemer
Faithful
Loving
Just
My Salvation
Messiah
The Way, Truth & Life
Alpha
Omega
Righteous
My Deliverer
Holy
My Refuge

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Do you mean God or Jesus?

God's Covenant Names

God has chosen to reveal Himself to us through His names recorded in Scripture.

There are twelve covenant names of God which reveal His character so that we can know Him. He also reveals Himself to us through the Bible so we can know how to walk with Him.

CovenantNamesofGod_5.jpg
ELOHIM-God Our Creator and JEHOVAH-Our Eternal God

In the days of the Bible, names were given that fit perfectly with the life of the person. For example, Abraham means, "father of multitudes," Joseph means "God will increase," and the name Jesus means, "Jehovah is salvation."

God's Covenant Names reveal His character and His relationship to us in the various areas of our lives. He reveals Himself through the Word of God, the Bible, as the Holy Spirit spoke through chosen instruments as they totally yielded to Him. Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Prophets, those through whom God spoke. Hebrews 1:1 tells us that God who spoke in many different ways through Holy men has now spoken to us through His Son, Jesus Christ.

ELOHIM-God Our Creator:

Elohim is the name that introduces God in Genesis 1:1. El, means God and is connected to His might, power, majesty, glory, and authority. Ohim speaks of plurality, so we can clearly see in this first scripture God is interdicted as the mighty Trinity. The name Elohim is always connected to God's acts. The angels know Him by this name.

JEHOVAH-Our Eternal God:

Jehovah is the name of relationship and covenant. God introduced Himself to Adam as Lord God in Genesis 2. "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground" (Genesis 2:7) Jehovah is connected to the creation of man, to the making of a covenant, and to the atonement. It is Jehovah who reveals Elohim. God is always worshipped as Jehovah-and one CANNOT WORSHIP HIM without A RELATIONSHIP through the COVENANT.

CovenantNamesofGod_9.jpg
JEHOVAH EL SHADDAI and ADONAI-Master

JEHOVAH EL SHADDAI-God our Supplier.

The name El Shaddai means the God of might, nourishment, bounty, and blessings. God revealed Himself to Abraham as El Shaddai when He promised him a son. Abraham was ninety-nine years old when El Shaddai, The Almighty God made a covenant with him to multiply him exceedingly. (Genesis 17:1-2)

ADONAI-Master, Lord.

Adonai was spoken by Abraham in Genesis 18:3 when God came and told Abraham what He was about to do to Sodom and Gommorah, and Abraham became the great intercessor.

CovenantNamesofGod_13.jpg
JEHOVAH-JIREH and JEHOVAH-RAPHA

JEHOVAH-JIREH-God my Provider:

This name was revealed in Genesis 22:14 when Abraham was about to offer up Isaac and the Lord stopped him and provided a lamb...the substitute for Isaac. This powerful story reveals Jesus and the work of the cross. The name Jehovah-Jireh speaks of the Lord God Providing His Son for our redemption and being our provider for all that we need.

JEHOVAH-RAPHA-God my Healer:

Exodus 15:22-26, when the children of Israel came to Marah in the wilderness and could not drink the water because it was bitter, discloses the name Jehovah-Rapha. The Lord made a covenant of healing with His people and said that if they would keep all His commandments, He would be their health and healer continually. "...for I am the Lord that heals you." (Exodus 15:26)

CovenantNamesofGod_17.jpg
JEHOVAH-NISSI and JEHOVAH M'KADESH

JEHOVAH-NISSI-God my Banner:

This name was made known when Moses lifted up the rod of victory, in prayer, for an entire day as a battle with the Amalekites was fought (Exodus 17:15). The Hebrew word Nissi means my banner, or my covering, my protection and, also my victory.

JEHOVAH M'KADESH-God my Sanctifier

The Lord declared He would be the sanctifier of Israel, if they would obey Him (Exodus 31:13). The word M'kadesh, our sanctifier, was also connected to being set apart for service and belonging wholly to the Lord.

CovenantNamesofGod_21.jpg
JEHOVAH-SHALOM

God my Peace

This name was revealed to Gideon, in Judges 6:23-24, when the Lord made him in to a great warrior by showing him that only through dependence upon the Lord and reliance upon His name can we know His peace which will bring about triumph over all our enemies.

CovenantNamesofGod_25.jpg
JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU

God my Righteousness

God told the prophet Jeremiah to declare that a "righteous Branch" of David would come, and "Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, The Lord our righteousness." (Jeremiah 23:6) In this revelation we are told that Jesus is our righteousness and that only through Him can we live righteously before the Lord.

CovenantNamesofGod_29.jpg
JEHOVAH-ROHI and JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH

JEHOVAH-ROHI, God my Shepherd

In Psalms 23, God is revealed as Rohi-our Shepherd. This was spoken as David declared The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. Psalm 23:1 The name Rohi speaks of both leadership and close intimacy. Once we know the Lord as our Shepherd, our Jehovah-Rohi, all the promises of Psalms 23 will become reality in our daily walk.

JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH, The Abiding Presence

The book of Ezekiel concludes with these words: "...and the name of the city for that day shall be, The Lord is there."

The Hebrew translation is Jehovah-Shammah-speaking of God's abiding presence. The Lord desires that we walk with Him daily. The word abide means to stay, not to visit.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2005
Norway, near the sea
✟53,493.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
soblessed53 said:

God's Covenant Names

There are twelve covenant names of God which reveal His character so that we can know Him. He also reveals Himself to us through the Bible so we can know how to walk with Him.

CovenantNamesofGod_5.jpg

In the days of the Bible, names were given that fit perfectly with the life of the person. For example, Abraham means, "father of multitudes," Joseph means "God will increase," and the name Jesus means, "Jehovah is salvation."

God's Covenant Names reveal His character and His relationship to us in the various areas of our lives. He reveals Himself through the Word of God, the Bible, as the Holy Spirit spoke through chosen instruments as they totally yielded to Him. Jesus fulfilled the Law and the Prophets, those through whom God spoke. Hebrews 1:1 tells us that God who spoke in many different ways through Holy men has now spoken to us through His Son, Jesus Christ.

ELOHIM-God Our Creator:

Elohim is the name that introduces God in Genesis 1:1. El, means God and is connected to His might, power, majesty, glory, and authority. Ohim speaks of plurality, so we can clearly see in this first scripture God is interdicted as the mighty Trinity. The name Elohim is always connected to God's acts. The angels know Him by this name.

JEHOVAH-Our Eternal God:

Jehovah is the name of relationship and covenant. God introduced Himself to Adam as Lord God in Genesis 2. "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground" (Genesis 2:7) Jehovah is connected to the creation of man, to the making of a covenant, and to the atonement. It is Jehovah who reveals Elohim. God is always worshipped as Jehovah-and one CANNOT WORSHIP HIM without A RELATIONSHIP through the COVENANT.

CovenantNamesofGod_9.jpg

The name El Shaddai means the God of might, nourishment, bounty, and blessings. God revealed Himself to Abraham as El Shaddai when He promised him a son. Abraham was ninety-nine years old when El Shaddai, The Almighty God made a covenant with him to multiply him exceedingly. (Genesis 17:1-2)

ADONAI-Master, Lord.

Adonai was spoken by Abraham in Genesis 18:3 when God came and told Abraham what He was about to do to Sodom and Gommorah, and Abraham became the great intercessor.

CovenantNamesofGod_13.jpg

This name was revealed in Genesis 22:14 when Abraham was about to offer up Isaac and the Lord stopped him and provided a lamb...the substitute for Isaac. This powerful story reveals Jesus and the work of the cross. The name Jehovah-Jireh speaks of the Lord God Providing His Son for our redemption and being our provider for all that we need.

Exodus 15:22-26, when the children of Israel came to Marah in the wilderness and could not drink the water because it was bitter, discloses the name Jehovah-Rapha. The Lord made a covenant of healing with His people and said that if they would keep all His commandments, He would be their health and healer continually. "...for I am the Lord that heals you." (Exodus 15:26)

CovenantNamesofGod_17.jpg

This name was made known when Moses lifted up the rod of victory, in prayer, for an entire day as a battle with the Amalekites was fought (Exodus 17:15). The Hebrew word Nissi means my banner, or my covering, my protection and, also my victory.

The Lord declared He would be the sanctifier of Israel, if they would obey Him (Exodus 31:13). The word M'kadesh, our sanctifier, was also connected to being set apart for service and belonging wholly to the Lord.

CovenantNamesofGod_21.jpg
JEHOVAH-SHALOM

God my Peace

This name was revealed to Gideon, in Judges 6:23-24, when the Lord made him in to a great warrior by showing him that only through dependence upon the Lord and reliance upon His name can we know His peace which will bring about triumph over all our enemies.

CovenantNamesofGod_25.jpg
JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU

God my Righteousness

God told the prophet Jeremiah to declare that a "righteous Branch" of David would come, and "Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, The Lord our righteousness." (Jeremiah 23:6) In this revelation we are told that Jesus is our righteousness and that only through Him can we live righteously before the Lord.

CovenantNamesofGod_29.jpg

In Psalms 23, God is revealed as Rohi-our Shepherd. This was spoken as David declared The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. Psalm 23:1 The name Rohi speaks of both leadership and close intimacy. Once we know the Lord as our Shepherd, our Jehovah-Rohi, all the promises of Psalms 23 will become reality in our daily walk.

The book of Ezekiel concludes with these words: "...and the name of the city for that day shall be, The Lord is there."

The Hebrew translation is Jehovah-Shammah-speaking of God's abiding presence. The Lord desires that we walk with Him daily. The word abide means to stay, not to visit.

Thank you, my dear sister soblessed!!! Excellent!!! :kiss: :hug: :groupray:

Upvote 0

sing4him

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2005
Arkansas
✟20,194.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
1. Everlasting Father

2. Everlasting God

3. Everlasting King

4. Faithful and True

5. Faithful Creator

6. Faithful witness

7. Father of glory

8. Father of lights

9. Father of mercies

10. Father of our Lord Jesus Christ

11. Father of spirits

12. Father of the fatherless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sing4him

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2005
Arkansas
✟20,194.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
1. God Almighty

2. God alone

3. God and Father of all

4. God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ

5. God full of compassion

6. God most high

7. God my maker

8. God of Abraham

9. God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob

10. God of all comfort

11. God of all flesh

12. God of all grace

13. God of all the families of Israel

14. God of glory

15. God of gods

16. God of heaven

17. God of heaven and earth

18. God of hope

19. God of Israel

20. God of Jacob

21. God of Jeshurun ("Jeshurun" means "upright," and refers to Israel)

22. God of knowledge

23. God of love and peace

24. God of my life

25. God of my mercy

26. God of my praise

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

christus

Oct 8, 2005
✟15,904.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
soblessed53 said:

God's Covenant Names

ELOHIM-God Our Creator:

JEHOVAH-Our Eternal God:

ADONAI-Master, Lord.

JEHOVAH-SHALOM

God my Peace

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU

God my Righteousness

You're not allowed to say those God's name except "God my Righteousness", "God my Peace", "ADONAI" and "ELOHIM".
By the way "Adonai" it's my Lords.

Upvote 0

christus

Oct 8, 2005
✟15,904.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
soblessed53 said:
? If God is the Father and Jesus is the son and there is the Trinity how can that be? God and Jesus are not the same person.
There are people who believe that the Trinity is God in three personas: The son- God on Earth, the holy spirit- the connector of the Earth and heaven and God- the ruler of heaven etc.
I think that is one of the views about the Trinity, but please correct me if I wrong.

Upvote 0

The Virginian

Sep 15, 2004
✟16,393.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
sing4him said:
1. Everlasting Father

2. Everlasting God

3. Everlasting King

4. Faithful and True

5. Faithful Creator

6. Faithful witness

7. Father of glory

8. Father of lights

9. Father of mercies

10. Father of our Lord Jesus Christ

11. Father of spirits

12. Father of the fatherless

The names of God as revealed in the Old Testament: the names of God -particularly in the Old Testament- are the result of individuals who had a particular need being met, i.e., water, peace, protection, etc., etc., There are some places where God does simply reveal a facet of His nature through a name He tells someone.
I particularly am partial to JEHOVAH-SHALOM -God of Peace. "For while we were still enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life."

Upvote 0

RolandCheney

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
✟7,908.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes!!! Amen!!!
Here are some more,

The Word.
The Way, the Truth, and the Life.
The Door.
The Vine.
The Lily of the Valley...
...the fairest of ten thousand to my soul.
The Light.
The Day Star.
The Sun of Righteousness.
The Rock.
The Rock that is higher than I.
The Chief Cornerstone.
The High Priest.
The Rose of Sharon.
The Bread of Life.
The Hidden Manna.
The Carpenter's Son.
The Good Shepherd.
The Lamb of God.
The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
The Big Fisherman.
The Great I AM.
The Intercessor.
The Firstborn.
Emmanuel, God with Us.
The Brightness of His Glory.
Son of Man.
The Son of David.
The Son of Mary.
Jesus of Nazareth.
A Man of Sorrows.
Root of Jesse.