Name one doctrine that is not supported by Scripture.

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nice! Thank you!
Great question. Long thread. Didn't read. :)

I think there are nuances to some doctrines that can be supported with scripture, but only by way of implication.

Take the distinction between homo-ousia vs. homoi-ousia in the Trinitarian debates. Same essence or like essence between the 1st and 2nd Persons? That is a very fine-grained distinction that is such each could be supported by the scriptures since the scriptures weren't interested in such a fine distinction. We can say the scriptures support the Trinity, but how that breaks down in a fine-tuned way is open for debate (or was), if all we use is scripture. The Trinitarian debate between Augustine and Maximinus (Ulfilan Arianism) is interesting on this account. Whereas earlier debates dealt in both the scriptures and philosophical details, this one was primarily concerned with scriptural support.

One could make a similar point about the two natures of Christ. Once you start fine tuning, the scriptures are less helpful than one might hope, I think.

Just in reading the primary sources of the debates which were settled at councils, one can see both sides using the same scriptures in support. That's telling and explains why the idea that one can make their argument on scripture alone is not tenable.

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've read the link and am up to The Old Testament.
I happen to agree with it but want to explain why I dislike the title Mother of God, but I'm not in agreement with that Nestorius fellow.

ITMT thanks for the post.

You're welcome. One thing most Protestants don't realize that these titles are really Christological in origin. So Mother of God says more about the person of Christ than anything about Mary herself. So as I said in my tours this weekend, we can say that Mary gave birth to God, God grew up, God was tried, crucified and buried. And most importantly, God rose from the dead.

A portion of the Paschal Sermon of Saint John Chrysostom reads:

Hell, said Isaiah, was embittered, when it encountered Thee in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.

Upvote 0