Name one doctrine that is not supported by Scripture.

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
(For the anti-Sola Scriptura crowd).

Name one doctrine that was held by the Chalcedon affirming Church that is not supported in Scripture.

I contend that one doesn't exist.

The Church that affirms Chalcedon or the Church up to the point of Chalcedon? I am confused there.

Also I don't think one would exist either or they would say one existed usually, considering how they defended all of their views with Scripture although as St. Vincent says "joined to the Ecclesiastical Tradition." I think the fullness of Revelation is in both so I would say even (if you mean the Church that affirms Chalcedon) all I believe is supported in it.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟271,879.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Name one doctrine that was held by the Chalcedon affirming Church that is not supported in Scripture.

of course one does not exist. The books of the Bible were canonized precisely becasue they did not depart from Apostalic teaching.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟271,879.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

As a lead into Chaceldon amd the earlier council in Ephasus, I have a question.

Many people on this forum refuse to call Mary "The Mother of God". What say you? Is Mary the "Mother of God"?

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Many people on this forum refuse to call Mary "The Mother of God". What say you? Is Mary the "Mother of God"?
Mary is the Mother of God. She was chosen to deliver Him in the flesh.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is interesting, because it gets to the heart of why the Councils are so important.

I have noticed that many evangelicals refuse to or feel uncomfortable calling Jesus “God”. They will describe Him as “the Divine Son of God”, or as “the Son of God”, but less frequently “the Second Person of the Trinity” and even less frequently “God”.

Some explain they don’t feel comfortable calling Christ God, as Scripture describes Christ most frequently as the Son of God. Going further than this might be blasphemy, or over-kill. They are scared to say anything that is not Biblical, and so, unfortunately, they inadvertently turn into semi-Arians.

Many don’t see anything wrong with this.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here's the problem with calling Mary the Mother of God.
When we refer to God, we usually mean God Father, or Yahweh.
God, Yahweh, did not have a mother - God always existed and there was no being before Him.

If we mean Jesus, the Word Incarnate, and we know that He is God,,,then it would seem to be correct.
Except we really don't mean Jesus, do we?

I like to say that Mary is the Mother of Jesus,,,Mother of The Word - or the 2nd person of the Trinity.

Comment?

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Church which affirms. I don't want to get into the Christological nuances (e.g. the Copts)
The Church that affirms Chalcedon or the Church up to the point of Chalcedon? I am confused there.

Also I don't think one would exist either or they would say one existed usually, considering how they defended all of their views with Scripture although as St. Vincent says "joined to the Ecclesiastical Tradition." I think the fullness of Revelation is in both so I would say even (if you mean the Church that affirms Chalcedon) all I believe is supported in it.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
of course one does not exist. The books of the Bible were canonized precisely becasue they did not depart from Apostalic teaching.
You seem to affirm the Lutheran definition of Sola Scriptura here.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
We affirm that Mary is the Mother of God.

• Agree
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Yes. We mean Jesus. Jesus is a Divine person with two natures, human and Divine. Therefore, God was born, walked, ate, wept, suffered and died.
Here's the problem with calling Mary the Mother of God.
When we refer to God, we usually mean God Father, or Yahweh.
God, Yahweh, did not have a mother - God always existed and there was no being before Him.

If we mean Jesus, the Word Incarnate, and we know that He is God,,,then it would seem to be correct.
Except we really don't mean Jesus, do we?

I like to say that Mary is the Mother of Jesus,,,Mother of The Word - or the 2nd person of the Trinity.

Comment?

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
They're heretics if they are uncomfortable affirming the full Diety of the Son. They are not Christians in the proper sense of the word.
This is interesting, because it gets to the heart of why the Councils are so important.

I have noticed that many evangelicals refuse to or feel uncomfortable calling Jesus “God”. They will describe Him as “the Divine Son of God”, or as “the Son of God”, but less frequently “the Second Person of the Trinity” and even less frequently “God”.

Some explain they don’t feel comfortable calling Christ God, as Scripture describes Christ most frequently as the Son of God. Going further than this might be blasphemy, or over-kill. They are scared to say anything that is not Biblical, and so, unfortunately, they inadvertently turn into semi-Arians.

Many don’t see anything wrong with this.

• Agree
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
LCMS Lutheran here

As an Evangelical, I know Christ is God, the second person in the Trinity. However, he is also the son of God, and you are correct we prefer to refer to him as such.

I don't really think evangelicals feel it's heretical to discuss, or proclaim Christ as God, we do recite the Athanasian Creed, and it's taught in our confessional writings. I would guess it's just habit to use the Son of God.

As far as Mary is concerned, she doesn't get a lot of attention, usually just Jesus mother, or the Virgin Mary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LCMS Lutheran here

As an Evangelical, I know Christ is God, the second person in the Trinity. However, he is also the son of God, and you are correct we prefer to refer to him as such.

I don't really think evangelicals feel it's heretical to discuss, or proclaim Christ as God, we do recite the Athanasian Creed, and it's taught in our confessional writings. I would guess it's just habit to use the Son of God.

As far as Mary is concerned, she doesn't get a lot of attention, usually just Jesus mother, or the Virgin Mary.
Hey, Silverback. When I say “evangelical”, I am referring to non-denom, Baptist, Pentecostal, and other Christians.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
We just celebrated her feast day in August. Her name is present in 4O% of our hymns and we confess Christ specifically as God throughout the liturgy.
LCMS Lutheran here

Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Church which affirms.

Some would say that the doctrine that Public Revelation closed [for this age] with the last Apostle St. John is a doctrine not in Scripture, I personally think that it is implied in the last verses of Revelation though (anything explicit, implied, or in Church able to accurately read as = in Scripture to me).

Upvote 0