Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First off, I would stay away from that other woman until this is resolved one way or another.

Your wife has broken covenant with you. Something that the enemies of the Most High can never understand. Which is why the Lord warned us about marriage with people from the pagan world.

I read many of the comments here, and though their hearts I'm sure are pure, no amount of counseling or dating will help until your wife embraces the Lord your God. And you will know when she does. In the meantime, petition the Father to intervene. To claim her or remove her. Then let Him do what He does.

Make no mistake, God did not create this mess, but He will help you clean it up and get the healing that you need.

Good luck my brother.

Upvote 0

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

This is a bit of a long one. I asked similar before, but began suffering depression to the point I couldn't think to answer, and I apologise. I loved my wife unconditionally, did nothing to instigate our problems. She made a lot of bad choices (details below) she has done a 180 on truly attrotious behaviour and been the perfect; "dream wife" for nearly 5 months now, could not ask for more. I know it's right and proper I reciprocate, problem is, its like my heart isn't invested anymore. Catagorically; I did nothing to instigate this.

I've been with my wife for 17 years - married 11, (M37, F33), two children (3,7), Both Christian for 7 years, within a day or two of marriage she hit me, there were a few more serious incidents, (the second time, I nearly died due to the nature of the attack) over the first 4 years, but that has STOPPED; 7 years since violence stopped. Where we lived there is a cultural problem of domestic abuse against males - you are expected to "take it like a man". The kids are safe, and there is no further concern there.

After that, she was never there for me, in any way, never showed interest, and used to periodically dissapear up to friends she'd found on the internet with my kids, against my consent for a week at a time. Threat was "don't make me choose between you and them". Along with never emasculating me, running me down, I suffered 10 years of "you're useless", having untruths about me to mutual friends and swearing at me. At the "away" friends, she found a bloke friend and for about a year, wouldn't shut up to me about how awesome and great he was, most conversations he'd crop up, and so on. Including arranging and extra night attempting to spend time an evening with him (there's even more). Eventually I questioned her faithfulness, her reaction just radiated "busted", and was embaressing to watch - she won't confirm or deny anything. In the early days of our relationship, I had to endure even seeing her in my bed with another guy on her. I was threatened multiple times not to make her choose with her "away" friends.

About 18 months ago; I bumped in to a girl, 10 years younger than me, who fell for me (I didn't reallise it at first), wanted me and with big open arms wanted to provide the friendship, companionship and respect that my wife was not (note I haven't mentioned sex). I met her as a friend (innocently, with no idea about her feelings) twice, the second time, a kiss tht lasted about 10 seconds kiss sponaneusly happened. I backed off with "no, I know the Enemey when I see it." I cannot emphasis how crushed I felt "stopping" and repented.

The talking about me untruthfully took a turn for the worse when two women (ex-mutual friends) had bad experiences with ex-husbands, it hit a nerve with them and they made my life a misery fo nearly 2 years (its stopped now), I felt devastated about the untruths and breach of privacy, more than their treatment of me, the stuff that was said was sickening, I can never trust her again. Every single time, I peacefully tried to talk to her, I was screamed at, and my words were twisted and sent on to others.

At this "road to damascus moment", she says she now understands why I questioned her faithfulness, and also understands the many reasons I don't trust her anymore, that you can't "unsay" things and the way she has treated me. Full acceptand of why that other girl caught my attention. She accepts she never addressed any of our issues and violated our privacy in the worse may. She even accepts why I'm suspicous of the sudden change. She's been consistently "changed" for coming up to 4 months, and it is admirable (I'm not sure she is still Christian), but it's like my body isn't emotionally invested and has 'checked out' - (does that mean anything?) It's been emotionally and physically beat out of me. I know I should try, but just because "I know I should". I have prayed, and prayed, but nothing rekindles a "desire" or shred of feeling for her, apart from feeling sorry. I don't know what to do. I forgive her, thats not the issue, I've prayed for forgiveness at being a hairs breath from adultery and to move forward.

As Christians, what would you say to each of us to get on track? If nothing, please just pray for us.

Thanks all, and God Bless,

My dear brother, I am grieved to hear of your trials! But you must never, under any circumstance, ascribe blame to someone else for your sins and shortcomings. You made the choices you made because of your sinfulness, not because of your wife's sins against you. We cannot accuse others of being the cause for why we have failed to cultivate love towards them.

The bitter fruit you are tasting is a result of your neglect in fulfilling your duty as a husband to love your wife and lay down your life for her. It is most likely also the result of your our own self-righteousness, in my opinion. I say self-righteousness because you never reproached yourself in anything besides your encounter with the younger woman. I am not excusing your wife's behaviors (it is horrible what she did and may the Lord have mercy on her soul), but I do not believe that you should excuse yourself because the fruit you have yielded is not the fruit of love. Read 1 Corinthians 13.

I am sorry to be crude in my post, but you shouldn't deceive yourself in believing that you can get on track without humbling yourself. And you can't humble yourself if you are only publicizing the manifold sins of your wife while only mentioning but a very minor one of your own and presenting yourself as the victim and innocent one. The title itself is evidence of all that I have said.

May the God of Wisdom grant you His Wisdom from above, and may you receive it in a spirit of humility.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I really wish I was exaggerating, I think if I was, that would defeat the point of coming to an anonymous forum in the first place. No, I've never fought her and I never intend to - I have always wished to lead by example, and have done, right up until very recently when I kissed that woman, and that's on my head. I've read what I have posted over and over, and what everyone else has, and maybe a mental health professional, would help matters, in addition to Christian Marriage counselling. Presently she is reasonable, and amenable, so if I set up the conversation thoughtfully, she may be open to it.

You know, marriages got bad long before there were "mental health professionals" and marriage counselors. You won't read in Scripture, however, a verse that says, "Please note: Until such time as psychotherapists and marriage counselors exist, those of you with bad marriages will just have to live with them. Tough nuts to you all." No, the keys to a fantastic marriage are in the pages of your Bible. Your Creator has revealed all the secrets to such a marriage in His word. They might be easier to find with a marriage counselor to show them to you, but they are there if you'll take the time to find them. My point is: Don't wait to act to save your marriage until your wife agrees to see a therapist or counselor. These people aren't necessary to the future health of your marriage, God is.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really wish I was exaggerating, I think if I was, that would defeat the point of coming to an anonymous forum in the first place. No, I've never fought her and I never intend to - I have always wished to lead by example, and have done, right up until very recently when I kissed that woman, and that's on my head. I've read what I have posted over and over, and what everyone else has, and maybe a mental health professional, would help matters, in addition to Christian Marriage counselling. Presently she is reasonable, and amenable, so if I set up the conversation thoughtfully, she may be open to it.

Addressing the actions has been a challenge, because there is always an "excuse" for each behaviour, and that lack of ownership doesn't help. @Roseonathorn - I didn't want to give specific details on this incident; there was no roof involved, it was a very high iron stairwell over a railway; public right of way, I was shoved, hard from the top. That has stopped a long, long time ago. I'm sorry, I just felt that I touched a nerve with you, and if you have been hurt or upset by anything you have read here, please accept my apologies.

I do try to see it from both sides or say I try to understand the situation so I can better give some appropriate advise. I am not saying You must divorce her, rather give her as much space as She needs, if She does not want to spend time with You let her do what She wants until She want to spend time with You but if possible try to get a time in say evening when You read the bible with the kids and sooner than You know it She might Join. You need to be able to defend Your family and Your wife and Yourself so perhaps take up weightlifting. No You have not hurt or upset me, Also make good facebookfriends. God bless You

Last edited:
Reactions: cdtaylor
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

This is a bit of a long one. I asked similar before, but began suffering depression to the point I couldn't think to answer, and I apologise. I loved my wife unconditionally, did nothing to instigate our problems. She made a lot of bad choices (details below) she has done a 180 on truly attrotious behaviour and been the perfect; "dream wife" for nearly 5 months now, could not ask for more. I know it's right and proper I reciprocate, problem is, its like my heart isn't invested anymore. Catagorically; I did nothing to instigate this.

I've been with my wife for 17 years - married 11, (M37, F33), two children (3,7), Both Christian for 7 years, within a day or two of marriage she hit me, there were a few more serious incidents, (the second time, I nearly died due to the nature of the attack) over the first 4 years, but that has STOPPED; 7 years since violence stopped. Where we lived there is a cultural problem of domestic abuse against males - you are expected to "take it like a man". The kids are safe, and there is no further concern there.

After that, she was never there for me, in any way, never showed interest, and used to periodically dissapear up to friends she'd found on the internet with my kids, against my consent for a week at a time. Threat was "don't make me choose between you and them". Along with never emasculating me, running me down, I suffered 10 years of "you're useless", having untruths about me to mutual friends and swearing at me. At the "away" friends, she found a bloke friend and for about a year, wouldn't shut up to me about how awesome and great he was, most conversations he'd crop up, and so on. Including arranging and extra night attempting to spend time an evening with him (there's even more). Eventually I questioned her faithfulness, her reaction just radiated "busted", and was embaressing to watch - she won't confirm or deny anything. In the early days of our relationship, I had to endure even seeing her in my bed with another guy on her. I was threatened multiple times not to make her choose with her "away" friends.

About 18 months ago; I bumped in to a girl, 10 years younger than me, who fell for me (I didn't reallise it at first), wanted me and with big open arms wanted to provide the friendship, companionship and respect that my wife was not (note I haven't mentioned sex). I met her as a friend (innocently, with no idea about her feelings) twice, the second time, a kiss tht lasted about 10 seconds kiss sponaneusly happened. I backed off with "no, I know the Enemey when I see it." I cannot emphasis how crushed I felt "stopping" and repented.

The talking about me untruthfully took a turn for the worse when two women (ex-mutual friends) had bad experiences with ex-husbands, it hit a nerve with them and they made my life a misery fo nearly 2 years (its stopped now), I felt devastated about the untruths and breach of privacy, more than their treatment of me, the stuff that was said was sickening, I can never trust her again. Every single time, I peacefully tried to talk to her, I was screamed at, and my words were twisted and sent on to others.

At this "road to damascus moment", she says she now understands why I questioned her faithfulness, and also understands the many reasons I don't trust her anymore, that you can't "unsay" things and the way she has treated me. Full acceptand of why that other girl caught my attention. She accepts she never addressed any of our issues and violated our privacy in the worse may. She even accepts why I'm suspicous of the sudden change. She's been consistently "changed" for coming up to 4 months, and it is admirable (I'm not sure she is still Christian), but it's like my body isn't emotionally invested and has 'checked out' - (does that mean anything?) It's been emotionally and physically beat out of me. I know I should try, but just because "I know I should". I have prayed, and prayed, but nothing rekindles a "desire" or shred of feeling for her, apart from feeling sorry. I don't know what to do. I forgive her, thats not the issue, I've prayed for forgiveness at being a hairs breath from adultery and to move forward.

As Christians, what would you say to each of us to get on track? If nothing, please just pray for us.

In your shoes, I would have divorced her within the first four years. In bed with another man? Yeah that would be all she wrote. Without trust, it is neigh impossible to put the pieces back together. And who could blame you for having trust issues? Not I, certainly not me. I feel sorry for you and hope and pray the Lord will help you and guide you into making decisions. God bless and take care.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know, marriages got bad long before there were "mental health professionals" and marriage counselors.
So often what people call a marriage is little more then a counterfeit or a forgery. 80% of first marriages stay married. Yet there is a 50% divorce rate. Because 20% of the people get divorced again and again and again. The 80/20 rule takes place in many areas of life, not just marriage.

• Informative
Reactions: cdtaylor
Upvote 0

cdtaylor

Aug 31, 2016
UK
✟9,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to thank everyone for being kind enough to comment and support us in prayer. I'd never felt so tested in faith as I was a few days ago. Thank you for being brutally honest also, to those have felt it appropriate.

At the moment, she doesn't feel Christian marriage counselling is for her. I've explained to her why I believe it is, but I can't force her. I will pray, take our troubles to the Lord, trust in him, and leave no stone unturned. I'm going to get us the devotional that @Sam91 recommended, and once I've done all of that, I'll know I've done what I can.

I've emphasised that "knee-jerk" affection is unsustainable, and doesn't provide a solid foundations that come with faith, honesty and then trust.
God bless and thank you.

• Optimistic
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟44,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My dear brother, I am grieved to hear of your trials! But you must never, under any circumstance, ascribe blame to someone else for your sins and shortcomings. You made the choices you made because of your sinfulness, not because of your wife's sins against you. We cannot accuse others of being the cause for why we have failed to cultivate love towards them.

The bitter fruit you are tasting is a result of your neglect in fulfilling your duty as a husband to love your wife and lay down your life for her. It is most likely also the result of your our own self-righteousness, in my opinion. I say self-righteousness because you never reproached yourself in anything besides your encounter with the younger woman. I am not excusing your wife's behaviors (it is horrible what she did and may the Lord have mercy on her soul), but I do not believe that you should excuse yourself because the fruit you have yielded is not the fruit of love. Read 1 Corinthians 13.

I am sorry to be crude in my post, but you shouldn't deceive yourself in believing that you can get on track without humbling yourself. And you can't humble yourself if you are only publicizing the manifold sins of your wife while only mentioning but a very minor one of your own and presenting yourself as the victim and innocent one. The title itself is evidence of all that I have said.

May the God of Wisdom grant you His Wisdom from above, and may you receive it in a spirit of humility.

What is this guy supposed to do? Wear a collar and drink out of a dog bowl while she makes fun of him?

This selfish and insane woman is not asking him to be a better human being. She doesn't care about morality in the slightest.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If You do have the choise of a male or female psychiatrist mentor or say councellor, chose the male, it poses less threat to her. If You open up about the problems to a woman it does threathen the marriage to the woman, according to some psychiatrist. Yes I will pray for Your whole family, God bless You.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caterpillar5

Feb 13, 2018
Midwest
✟12,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have heard that there are cases where the woman thinks, "He only hits me, I can take it -- at least he hasn't hurt the kids." But then he does hurt the kids. So what you say here makes me a little nervous.

Even is she won't go for counseling, please go yourself, or at least speak with a trusted pastor.

And it is totally understandable you would need time to trust. Prayers.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi,

So wow... um... lots there. Sorry man.

First, I can't, and I doubt anyone else can give you a definitive answer on what you should do, because there is just so much there. We're looking dung pile, and we can only see what is on the upper surface of it. Without digging into this pile of poop, it would be hard to know how bad the smell really is.

That said, I can give some basic advice, and tell you that I wouldn't be in your situation. I personally would never be there. In fact I can tell you exactly what I would have done if she had 'gone to a friends' for weeks at a time. I would have been to the local hardware store, and picked up a bunch of door locks, and had all the locks on all the doors of the house changed, before she got back.

That woman would not be in my house ever again. Infidelity is the one clear cut justified reasons to divorce. She wants to live with someone else, they can keep her.

Maybe that simply makes you a better man than me. Perhaps... but it depends on forgiveness.

We all have to forgive. It's not an option for Christians like us. We must forgive. Does that mean we continue to live with abusive unfaithful people? No. Of course not.

I was taught since I was a child, that forgiveness, means releasing from repayment. You are owed something. Someone did you wrong, and now they owe you for that.

Forgiveness means, you release that person from their debt to you. It means you don't hold it over them, and remind them every day what horrible thing they did.

Now.... you have made the choice to stay with this woman. Again, I'll admit openly that I can't relate to this. I would never have stayed with such an awful and terrible person.

But you have made that choice. So now, you need to determine to forgive. Forgiving is somewhat easier if you had divorced them, and gotten rid of them, because you can let it go and wish them the best in whatever their future is.

But, you are part of her future, because you choose to stay. So you need to forgive, and let it go. And let me tell you brother, it's not going to be easy, because when you see her face, you'll see the face of the person who was so evil to you. And when you hear her voice, you'll hear the voice of the person saying all those cruel things.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm also not going to white-wash this train wreck. You can do this. You can live the Christian life, and do what is right, and make it past this. It's just not going to be easy.

Finally, about this "rekindles a "desire" or shred of feeling for her".

This is a universal problem. This is true of the most faithful couples, just as much as couples like you and her.

Feelings do not last. They constantly have to be dealt with.

You can't live based on your feelings. You have to live based on what is right, and moral. You need to love your wife, whether you feel like it, or not. Whether you have 'desire' or 'feelings' or not.

You can't live based on how you feel. Do you know how many people would just not go to work for weeks at a time, if they lived based on how they feel?

No Olympic athlete would ever win a medal, if they only worked out and practiced when they felt like it.

And let me tell you brother, there isn't a single couple on the face of this Earth that would still be married, if they only loved their spouse when they felt like it. Nearly ever man or woman on the surface of G-d's green Earth, has had days were they wanted nothing more than to either strangle their spouse, or ditch them and disappear to another country.

Why do so many stay together when they feel that way? Because they didn't live based on how they felt, but rather on what was right.

I don't know if you will ever get that "feeling" back. What I do know is that you made the choice to stay, so you made the choice to love your wife. You need to follow through on your choice.

Love your wife, as best you can, whether you feel it, or not. You just need to do it, because it right, and what a Christian should do.

I actually heard a somewhat similar story from a woman. She came up with an odd solution that worked for her. She said every morning, "what would I do for my husband, if I actually loved my husband?". So each day she would do one little nice thing. In her own words, after practicing this for months, she suddenly found that her feelings of love returned to her.

Will that work for you? I have no idea, and I'm not going to pretend I know either way. Again.... the one thing in this entire story of yours that I know for certain, is that you made the choice to stay with your wife, so you need to love your wife. G-d be with you on this path.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I apologise @vinsight4u I misunderstood your intent, I'm very sorry, and that wasn't fair. Regarding timescales, I've re-read it myself and it is more chaotic than something I'd write in a better state of mind. You are right, it is easy to dwell on the 'length' of time if we let our guard down. With prayer, I'm moving passed that. We want to work on the 'rebuild' and I don't want to be 'hardened' - the book mentioned above looks like it'll really help us.

On your other point, I think maybe I should have left back at the beginning, however I didn't, also it is inescapable that, I recently kissed another woman. Forward is where I want to look.
Let me suggest that you start a thread in the Ask a Chaplain Forum. You can begin by double-clicking on the link at the bottom of this post where it says, "Follow this link to the Ask A Chaplain Forum (AAC). All are welcome."

Once you've started a thread in the AAC, one of our Chaplains will respond. You may ask for me or any of the other Chaplains. We are all ordained ministers with decades of experience pastoring and working with others. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

As always, I pray the very best for you and yours. God bless you and all here.

Faithfully,

Upvote 0

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is this guy supposed to do? Wear a collar and drink out of a dog bowl while she makes fun of him?

This selfish and insane woman is not asking him to be a better human being. She doesn't care about morality in the slightest.

Why don't you look to the example of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ? I am not minimizing the poor brother's pain! God forbid! No, his experience is quite terrible indeed. I cannot imagine the trials he is undergoing. What I am simply saying is to emulate the Lord.

1 Peter 2:21-24

21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Upvote 0