USA
✟7,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I'm new here. You can call me peachy or Noelle. :)

I have been struggling a lot lately, but now I've reached a place now where I can breathe again.

Lately I have been having a lot of intrusive thoughts, leading to doubts and fear and feeling distanced from God. It started out with me thinking I had blasphemed the Holy Spirit (it seems like most Christians with OCD have to deal with that one). It's similar thoughts now in lots of different forms.

I think this entire struggle, as difficult as it's been, has brought me closer to God. I realize now that I want to bring glory to God in everything that I do. I realize how much I love God and value my relationship with Him.

Still, I'm having a lot of difficulty labeling these thoughts as meaningless, intrusive ones that I don't really mean and moving on.

If you guys have gone through anything similar, I would truly appreciate advice on how you deal with these thoughts. And I would appreciate it if you would pray for me.

Last edited:

FreakOnALeash

Feb 28, 2016
Uk
✟7,814.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hey I'm new here too :) nice to meet you :p

I also have OCD and high functioning autism, the autism thing I'm told it's basically a social comunication disorder..... And just for fun I wear red eye contacts to scare people away lol. Some people ask my mom things like "Why is he so smart when he is so stupid?" As for the OCD part, well it's difficult to explain to people who seem to understand so little about it. I mean take something simple like just getting reading for school, it takes a really long time having to complete certain things a certain amount of times, or things continuously repeating words, lol this is just how it effects me though I guess :) I work my days around a very scheduled time table, it works best for me.

I'm an atheist born and raised and I don't even know how to say a prayer anyway, sorry, but hey stay strong, things do get better!

\m/><\m/

Upvote 0

peachy peach

Mar 7, 2016
USA
✟7,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey I'm new here too :) nice to meet you :p

I also have OCD and high functioning autism, the autism thing I'm told it's basically a social comunication disorder..... And just for fun I wear red eye contacts to scare people away lol. Some people ask my mom things like "Why is he so smart when he is so stupid?" As for the OCD part, well it's difficult to explain to people who seem to understand so little about it. I mean take something simple like just getting reading for school, it takes a really long time having to complete certain things a certain amount of times, or things continuously repeating words, lol this is just how it effects me though I guess :) I work my days around a very scheduled time table, it works best for me.

I'm an atheist born and raised and I don't even know how to say a prayer anyway, sorry, but hey stay strong, things do get better!

\m/><\m/

Nice to meet you! :) You seem like a lovely person.

It's so tiring to always be thinking "If I don't do ____, something bad will happen." That's basically been my life for the past few months. A constant battle in my mind. I don't even know why it's suddenly worsened. Maybe stress. Do you ever have times where it seemly randomly gets worse?

Thanks for replying and for the encouragement - it's always nice to know I'm not alone. :)

Upvote 0

MournfulWatcher

In the beginning was the Word.
Feb 15, 2016
United States
✟110,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'll pray for you :) I have some form of anxiety or OCD, but I'm not officially diagnosed. A couple of years ago, I was struggling with obsessive compulsive fear over suicide that lasted for about three years, but once I got into high school it just kind of...disappeared? Sometimes it pops up again in my mind, but I've learned how to just NOT think about it, which took me a long time to do. I think God lets us go through this so we can learn how to keep it from getting in the way of our relationship with Him, so just keep persevering, and I highly suggest you go to a councilor (if you aren't already).

Reactions: peachy peach
Upvote 0

peachy peach

Mar 7, 2016
USA
✟7,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll pray for you :) I have some form of anxiety or OCD, but I'm not officially diagnosed. A couple of years ago, I was struggling with obsessive compulsive fear over suicide that lasted for about three years, but once I got into high school it just kind of...disappeared? Sometimes it pops up again in my mind, but I've learned how to just NOT think about it, which took me a long time to do. I think God lets us go through this so we can learn how to keep it from getting in the way of our relationship with Him, so just keep persevering, and I highly suggest you go to a councilor (if you aren't already).

Thank you! :) I'm feeling a LOT better. The thoughts still come but I think I'm finally learning how to not let them affect me so much. I've talked to my pastor but I'm not going to a councelor although I've been thinking and praying about it.

Upvote 0

FreakOnALeash

Feb 28, 2016
Uk
✟7,814.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Nice to meet you! :) You seem like a lovely person.

It's so tiring to always be thinking "If I don't do ____, something bad will happen." That's basically been my life for the past few months. A constant battle in my mind. I don't even know why it's suddenly worsened. Maybe stress. Do you ever have times where it seemly randomly gets worse?

Thanks for replying and for the encouragement - it's always nice to know I'm not alone. :)

Yes sometimes it can randomly get worse, but when that was happening I realised it mostly got worst when I was stressed, tired or things weren't going too well, that's when the repetitive irrational thoughts come in. I found what helped me the most was meditation. These are things that can help some people with OCD:

1- Medatation - The best types are Transcendental or Vipassana- both are good medatations for OCD but I would defiantly start with transcendental before moving on to Vipassana, as transentenal is an effective meditation and easy enough to learn as for Vipassana there is a lot more involved but it is stil one of the best meditation out there and is good for lots of things including OCD.

2 - Medication is not a bad thing for OCD especially if it is taking up a lot of your time and stopping you from doing things. Maybe speak to a medical professional if it gets really bad.

:)

Upvote 0

peachy peach

Mar 7, 2016
USA
✟7,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
is that what OCD is ..intrusive thoughts? if so..ive had it for a minute lol but I don't do any rituals lol like checking something 12 times..i hope u get better.

OCD is both obsessions and compulsions but some people have more obsessions and some have more compulsions. Sometimes the rituals/compulsions are mental, too (ex: praying 3 times or repeating a word in your head). Everyone can have an intrusive thought once in awhile - that doesn't always mean you have OCD.

Thank you :)

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome here to both @peachy peach and @FreakOnALeash !

I am not familiar at all with OCD, but I agree that things continue to worsen you should go to a professional. However, of course I will pray for you! Do not worry, everything will soon be alright I am sure. Perhaps you are going through something difficult which could cause your OCD..?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peachy peach

Mar 7, 2016
USA
✟7,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome here to both @peachy peach and @FreakOnALeash !

I am not familiar at all with OCD, but I agree that things continue to worsen you should go to a professional. However, of course I will pray for you! Do not worry, everything will soon be alright I am sure. Perhaps you are going through something difficult which could cause your OCD..?

Thank you! :)

I'm not entirely sure why the OCD suddenly flared up. I think God is using this to help me grow in my faith, though! Thank you for your prayers, I truly appreciate it <3

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Elvz10

Mar 19, 2016
England
✟7,616.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I've struggled with blasphemous thoughts on and off for 5 years and funnily enough they only started when I trust the Lord began to work in my heart and bring me to faith in Christ. Prior to becoming a genuine Christian I never had these thoughts. I usually get the blasphemous thoughts in the form of swear words against the Holy Spirit in particular. It's usually the 'f' word followed by the Holy Spirit or some other combination. Its so strange and irrational. I've been quite worried that I actually want to think these things and maybe because of how sinful and evil my heart is theres actually a desire to like these thoughts. Its distressing. I'm not as worried as I would like to be but its such a burden to have these thoughts. Like why would I want to think this against the God who I desire to love and know and who sent His Son to die for my sins? It makes no sense! Sometimes I feel so condemned and think the Lord has given me up to the thoughts and I'll perish. Man deep down if I could just rid of these thoughts I would immediately but I cant seem to fully control my mind. There seems to an urge to curse and swear in my mind and even a numbness when the thoughts come. I've been praying and asking the Lord for forgiveness and going to Christ in prayer and seeking to trust Him to save sinners like me. I've asked the Lord to purify my heart and help me to hate these thoughts and think purer things but they're not going away much. It feels so paralysing and I can't even think about much else sometimes. The problem is I can't tell if its Satan, my sinful heart of OCD causing these thoughts or all three. Is it best just to ignore them and carry on living a normal Christian life? Would appreciate some help.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes sometimes it can randomly get worse, but when that was happening I realised it mostly got worst when I was stressed, tired or things weren't going too well, that's when the repetitive irrational thoughts come in. I found what helped me the most was meditation. These are things that can help some people with OCD:

1- Medatation - The best types are Transcendental or Vipassana- both are good medatations for OCD but I would defiantly start with transcendental before moving on to Vipassana, as transentenal is an effective meditation and easy enough to learn as for Vipassana there is a lot more involved but it is stil one of the best meditation out there and is good for lots of things including OCD.

2 - Medication is not a bad thing for OCD especially if it is taking up a lot of your time and stopping you from doing things. Maybe speak to a medical professional if it gets really bad.

Please, just leave it at emptying your mind, calming / pausing /stopping your thoughts.
You don't want to invite any dwelling spirits into your soul, which is the goal in TM.
Sorry if i'm blunt.

By the way, God is no sissy, He can handle people being angry with Him sometimes, and it's only natural.
I mean, He claims to be more than your own Father to you, but He's quite unreachable usually, which is obviously frustrating.

Upvote 0

peachy peach

Mar 7, 2016
USA
✟7,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've struggled with blasphemous thoughts on and off for 5 years and funnily enough they only started when I trust the Lord began to work in my heart and bring me to faith in Christ. Prior to becoming a genuine Christian I never had these thoughts. I usually get the blasphemous thoughts in the form of swear words against the Holy Spirit in particular. It's usually the 'f' word followed by the Holy Spirit or some other combination. Its so strange and irrational. I've been quite worried that I actually want to think these things and maybe because of how sinful and evil my heart is theres actually a desire to like these thoughts. Its distressing. I'm not as worried as I would like to be but its such a burden to have these thoughts. Like why would I want to think this against the God who I desire to love and know and who sent His Son to die for my sins? It makes no sense! Sometimes I feel so condemned and think the Lord has given me up to the thoughts and I'll perish. Man deep down if I could just rid of these thoughts I would immediately but I cant seem to fully control my mind. There seems to an urge to curse and swear in my mind and even a numbness when the thoughts come. I've been praying and asking the Lord for forgiveness and going to Christ in prayer and seeking to trust Him to save sinners like me. I've asked the Lord to purify my heart and help me to hate these thoughts and think purer things but they're not going away much. It feels so paralysing and I can't even think about much else sometimes. The problem is I can't tell if its Satan, my sinful heart of OCD causing these thoughts or all three. Is it best just to ignore them and carry on living a normal Christian life? Would appreciate some help.

This is so similar to what I'm going through, especially lately. I seemed to be "getting better" when a new flood of thoughts came in. I didn't even react to them. This brought a new flood of guilt and fear than my conscience is seared. It's a tough battle. Here are some verses that have been helping me a lot. I hope you can find comfort in them, too.

For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Romans 10:13

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. John 6:37

“I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10:28-30

These verses say that God will accept you when you call to Him and that no one can snatch you away! If you don't want to leave, you're not going anywhere. And it's evident from your post that you don't.

Another thing I'd like to add is that "the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" is addressed only in the Synoptic Gospels' accounts of one incident. If it were something a believer could commit, I think Paul and other New Testament writers would've thoroughly warned the early Christians about it. I feel like they would've said, "Be careful not to think anything demeaning, twisted or unholy about the Holy Spirit or you'll be condemned," but they didn't. It's never mentioned again.

I'm praying for you. It's really hard. I've thought almost anything you can thinking about the Holy Spirit in these last months because I was obsessing too much. However, the Gospel message is really easy to understand:

1. Jesus is the Son of God
2. He died for your sins on the cross
3. God raised Him from the dead
4. If you believe this, you will have eternal life!

There's not another step that says "but be careful not to think anything bad about the Holy Spirit ever or that eternal life will be ripped from you."

I think that this horrible struggle with my thoughts has helped me trust God more. It's still hard and I have "bad days," but I'm starting to see the bright side. God won't forsake me and God won't forsake you. It says in the Bible! Cling to that truth.

Again, I'm praying for you. This is a really hard battle. But I know there is victory in Jesus. We are His children and He has given us eternal life.

Also, I would definitely check out this thread if you haven't already: http://www.christianforums.com/threads/freedom-from-ocd.7934128/. It's given me so much encouragement.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

I've heard that meditation can be really helpful in a lot of ways. I don't really understand how it works though tbh. What do you during it?

Welcome btw to you & @peachy peach :)

Reactions: peachy peach
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MournfulWatcher

In the beginning was the Word.
Feb 15, 2016
United States
✟110,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Here is what I've figured out...(please read to the end. Sorry it's so long!)

The fact that you keep going in a circle with these thoughts is what really is the problem. Not the thoughts themselves. That is the trap Satan lays for us to distract us from really seeking the Lord; he keeps us going on the same cycle like, "Oh! I just had a blasphemous though--forgive me God...I don't think I wanted His forgiveness that badly, I didn't seem that concerned about it. Am I an evil person for that? Oh no, what if I'm going to hell? No, God's grace is bigger than that. I just want to get rid of these thoughts, but I can't. Why can't I stop this? Why won't God help me? Has He abandoned me because I thought blasphemy? Oh no! I just thought about something blasphemous again--forgive me God...I don't think I wanted His forgiveness that badly..." And so on.

Satan is keeping you in this cycle of fear and uncertainty so you can't escape from the worries and blasphemous thoughts. The blasphemous thoughts aren't as much of the problem as remaining in this cycle is, because the Devil knows that distracts us from what really matters. He's using the OCD to keep you from focusing on God instead of just moving on from the blasphemous thoughts.

It's not your fault; but the answer to your problem is so easy and so difficult at the same time.

You have to learn to just stop thinking about it. Stop thinking about the blasphemous thoughts so that you can escape this cycle Satan is keeping you on.

I understand exactly how you feel; For three years, I had OCD thoughts about suicide. I was NOT suicidal, mind you--but the fact that I knew that I could made me think "What if? What if I did? That's so terrifying...I could literally throw myself off this building right now. Oh no, what if I do? Would God forgive me? Do I actually want to commit suicide? Maybe I do. Something's wrong with me; I need help. Help me God!...These thoughts haven't stopped. How do I get them to stop? What if I committed suicide to get them to stop? Am I really that desperate?" And the thoughts went on and on and on like this for three years. I went into a depressive state for three months until I went back to school at the end of one summer. I made a lot of new friends, my relationship with Jesus began to strengthen, and I noticed the thoughts were fading away. I was not longer in a cycle because I had found things to keep me from thinking about it, like school, friends, and church. I wasn't in a cycle anymore, but more like I was caught in the spokes of a broken wheel.

And I realized the solution; every time the thoughts came up, I would immediately turn my attention to something else. Literally just laugh the thoughts off and ignore them, and think about something else. It took me three years to learn how to do this; but I think it was worth it, to go through that. Because even now, when I have OCD thoughts about anything I may be irrationally worried about, I can turn the channel in my brain and they don't bother me anymore.

I think God lets us go through this so we know how to escape such a pitiful cycle the Devil tries to trap us in. God wants us to learn how to not let worrying and anxiety keep us from really being close to Him.

Keep in mind, this is NOT an easy thing to learn; it takes a lot of practice. Find wholesome activities to distract you from your thoughts about blasphemy, and I also suggest you write about it. This can help you get the thoughts out of your head. Change the channel in your brain to something else so you don't think about it; when you stop one thought, the entire cycle can be broken.

God will help you learn how to ignore these thoughts in his own time, so you must be patient. I highly suggest going to a councilor or someone to talk to about this so they can help you, too. Don't lose faith in God, and don't lose hope, because there is nothing you can't bear when your trust and faith is strong in Him. When you get on the other side of what you're going through, you will feel stronger mentally. That's how it's been for me, and it's been so worth it.

Upvote 0

zachariahjosephturner

Jesus saves
Sep 8, 2014
✟60,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Y'all ever feel like you have had the thoughts so long that they have become a habit to think them none stop.....and also the fear and the guilt kind leave so now it feels as Thoe you have accepted the thoughts or now it's you conjuring them up on purpose......I myself have had every ungodly, nasty, foul, sadistic, crazy thought againts the Spirit......even as I right that the urges and thoughts come.....my brain is constantly thinking the f word againts the Spirit......it's become I habit....I am an evangelist and preach I love the LORD God with all my heart mind and soul.....just wanted some feedback as to what things y'all have incountered as far as ocd and the flesh and the devil go.......I got so bad at one point that the feeling of wanting to blaspheme the Holy Spirit seemed the more I fault it the more the desire come to even blurt out and speak profanity againts the Spirit.....if had a few slip of the tounge to......just wanted to here what y'all had to say in reply....God bless you all!!!!!!

Upvote 0