Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Show me scientific evidence you exist that will convince those who are alive in 8018.

It must be immune to lying, misrepresentation, retrospective falsification, and Shannon entropy.

Reactions: Heissonear

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Regrettably, in 8018, all of our data storage methods based on electromagnetics will have decayed and will just seem like worthless pieces of junk, so unless it is in print and in a good storage facility that doesn't rely on technology (like the papyrus in the desert) ... there will be nothing to talk about most likely.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
With what? your name engraved on them or something?
Yeah, why not? ;)

"We've found another skeleton in the Plasticene epoch!"
"Anonymous no doubt."
"No, wait - here, on the thigh bone they used for transport, it says 'Jim Smith'"
"Oh, who was he?"
"Beats me... ¯\_(ツ)_/"

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Gimmie dat ol' time physical evidence
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is completely up to the huge numbers of generations between now and 8018. As we are the generation that first populated the internet, huge numbers of postings made in the 70s, 80s (when I went online), and decreasing in interest after that may be preserved for posterity. If that data is preserved, then there is just huge amounts of data on me, particularly under my real name on usenet.

Moreover, government records and databases may be archived as large scale data storage becomes easier.

Then there are online genealogical databases.

However, that data may not survive, if (for example) there is a breakdown of society meaning that data is not preserved. I would think it will be quite likely that there will be a breakdown in society well before then, so everything is out of my hands concerning whether all that data (plenty to show I existed, I would guess) will actually survive until then.

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's what Shannon entropy can do to a message.

That's why it has to be immune to it.

Shannon entropy is a method of calculating entropy. It's not an active thing that goes out in the world and does stuff.

Perhaps you can explain what you mean by Shannon entropy doing something to a message.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Shannon entropy is the entropy.

That's why it's called Shannon entropy.

Having seen a few posts, I don't think you understand what Shannon entropy is.

Can you please tell us what you think it is?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Show me scientific evidence you exist that will convince those who are alive in 8018.

It must be immune to lying, misrepresentation, retrospective falsification, and Shannon entropy.

I have a birth certificate, marriage certificate and one day there will be a death certificate. I have my daughter's birth certificate that has my name and my husband's name on it, matching the names on our marriage certificate. There are tax returns, bank accounts, mortgage documents, records on the purchase of property. There will be a gravestone one day with my name and dates that match the date of my birth and the date of my death. There are documents from my schools, report cards, merit awards, music awards, participation certificates etc. There is also a wealth of photos of me from when I was just born to the time I moved out of my mother's place (she is a photographer, and I was often her subject). There are photos of me taken by myself, and photos of me taken by friends and family for use on social media. There are website accounts, such as on here, social media and other websites, a Google account, videos. There are also records of me performing music, not just recorded by friends and family, but by people from all around the world (I sometimes play piano in a hotel bar in Sydney, it's a classy joint ;) ) and there are medical records of the various injuries I've had, as well as medical treatments and the birth of my daughter.

Granted, some of these may not exist in 6000 years, but surely some will, and the fact that they ALL came from my lifetime and all agree is certainly strong evidence that a woman named Kylie [surname redacted] lived in Sydney in the early 21st century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Can one chose to be fossilized?
:scratch:

Not sure. But I know one can be plastinated. Which is much better. It's the process used for the Body Worlds exhibits. The water and lipids in the tissues are replaced by various epoxy or polyester polymers. Entire bodies (or parts thereof) can be preserved in a way that retains their shape and anatomical details. They can be posed in different positions. They are hard, dry, and odorless. It's my understanding that the polymers used are very inert, and virtually unaffected by the environment. It's thought that plastinated specimens will last indefinitely. They're used for teaching anatomy in medical schools. And for the public Body Worlds exhibits. I've read that plastinating an entire human body can cost about $50,000. Which you don't pay. You donate your remains to the company and they do the procedure. But they retain all the rights as to how your preserved body will be used. Which could just be your head, or torso, or a limb, or individual organs.

If you've never seen a Body Worlds exhibit, it's worthwhile. And very cool. Especially if you're at all interested in any kind of medical science.

bodyworlds2_fullsize_story1.jpg

Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0