STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As a disclaimer I will say that this should not turn into a debate, this is indeed honest questions made by someone seeking to be closer to God. So, that being said, here are my questions.

1. If you ask Christ to be your savior and believe in him and repent of your sins, are you saved? Please use scripture to back this up.

2. If you accept Christ as your savior and sin after this, does this mean that you were never saved? Please use scripture to back this up.

3. What do you have to do to be saved? Do you have to go to a specific type of church? Do you have to do good deeds? Should you feel a certain way or think a different way about things? Please use scripture to back this up.

Brother Simon

And His name shall be called Wonderful...
Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
"As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

Upvote 0

TheLivingWater

May 13, 2007
✟8,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

Amen !

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Okay, I'm not stupid, I promise. I enjoy reading shakespeare AND understand it. But that...all jibberish to me...I don't get it. What does it mean? (*sigh, why is it that I can be soooo smart about other things and become mentally incapacitated when it comes to deciphering the bible?) :sigh:

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

As a disclaimer I will say that this should not turn into a debate, this is indeed honest questions made by someone seeking to be closer to God. So, that being said, here are my questions.

1. If you ask Christ to be your savior and believe in him and repent of your sins, are you saved? Please use scripture to back this up.

2. If you accept Christ as your savior and sin after this, does this mean that you were never saved? Please use scripture to back this up.

3. What do you have to do to be saved? Do you have to go to a specific type of church? Do you have to do good deeds? Should you feel a certain way or think a different way about things? Please use scripture to back this up.
My salvation is dependent upon Almighty God and his grace alone.

I reject all questions that ask "What do you need to do?" and all possible answers, from good deeds to making a choice.

God alone awakens me from the depths of my inner darkness, and stirs me to his light. I neither choose to accept his favor, or do good works to earn it.

God has chosen me from before the foundation of the world, and has placed his seal upon me in baptism- not a work of mine, but a work of the Spirit in the church performed upon me, the passive infant.

Upvote 0

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Quote:
1. "If you ask Christ to be your savior and believe in him and repent of your sins, are you saved? Please use scripture to back this up."

I hope I`m.What I have understand saved is that I must wait to Jesus come back first then I know if I`m saved Matthew 24:13. Another scripture is 1 Corinthians 10:12 What cause this? Paul wrote to people that have hope to come to heaven Hebrews 3:1 See what he say to them in verses 12 - 14 in same chapter

Other scriptures is Philippians 2:12 Here is talking about working on your salvation So if we are saved why do we must work on that? See even Hebrews 10:26 - 27

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,818.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
It is not enough.
Christ requires all our live, mind and body to be given to Him, not only an act of faith. See Matthew 19:16ss

"Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"
And Jesus said, "You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
The young man said to him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?"
Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.
"

If you sin after, simply ask forgive to God and go the the Apostles (now bishops or their helpers the presbiters) to celebrate the sacrament of CONFESSION, because:

John 20:22-23 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

Jesus answered you clearly: go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Or

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Deny himself = to fast, to pray, to attend a Church that can give you the necessary sacraments even if you dont like it

Take up your Cross and follow Him: yes....charity deeds: that is the way

Romans 12:1 I appeal to you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your rational worship.

If you follow HIM, HE will ask the Father the grace to save you. And the Father always lissens to the Son

Upvote 0

Thomas35

Nov 25, 2006
✟7,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus said believe in me and you will be saved. John 3:16

The word believed in John 3:16 in the Greek means to believe so strong that you will act on what you believe. Belief in action is called faith.

People get caught up in if I do this and do that, or don't do this or that, I'm going to go to hell.

The promise of salvation was here before time began. Titus 1:2
The promise was complete in John 19:30.

Jesus died so we can have a relationship with God through His Son.
If we accept that Jesus died for your sins and believe rose on th 3rd day, our life will reflect what we truly believe.

Paul said in 2 Corinthians 13:5 to examine to see if were in the faith.

As we walk with the Lord we are going to fail and let Him down. If we are in a relationship we will know we Hurt Him and we will want to make it right as soon as possible.

Our faith comes from Romans 10:17.

The bible tells us to love the Lord with all our heart, soul and mind. To love someone like this we must spend a lot of time with them and we want to spend time with Him.

When you go from, I have to go to church, or I better read my bible or I better pray. When you go from that to I can't wait to get to church, I love spending time in God's Word, I must get alone with My Lord and talk to Him. You are in a Love relationship with your Lord and Savior.

The problem is we can wander from our faith in Jesus. That is the problem with some church doctrines. 1 Tim 1:19, 4:1, 6:10.

God Bless

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

Yes –

Acts 2:38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Romans 10:9 & 10That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Ephesians 2:5-10 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6. And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7. That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9. Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Absolutely not – Once your born again {saved} it’s permanent
I Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
seed is seed it cannot be changed. When you are born the first time your physical birth, you have the physical seed of your parents. You cannot change who you are. You can run away from home, change your name, put a bag over your head, but you are still of the physical lineage; that physical seed that was passed on at birth.
When you were born again you are no longer just body and soul, but body, soul, and spirit. You have that seed of God in Christ in you, which liveth and abideth forever. We are no longer limited to our senses walk, to walk according to the coarse of this world. We have that spiritual connection we are part of the family of God.

What do you have to do to be saved?
See #1
Do you have to go to a specific type of church?
No
Do you have to do good deeds?
No - salvation is by grace

Should you feel a certain way or think a different way about things?
You may feel different but it’s no guarantee …..thinking different is a choice, we are encouraged to put on the mind of Christ, to renew our minds, to walk as He walked; it is not automatic, it’s a choice.
Romans 13:14But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof.
Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Romans 12:1 &2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

These are all very simplistic answers ….There is much specifics to the depth of all your questions

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
S

SpiritDriven

It does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy (Romans 9:16).

There is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, to be testified in due time (1 Timothy 2:5-6).

God works all things after the counsel of His will (Ephesians 1:11).

God will have all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4).

The Lord canst do all things, and that no purpose of His can be thwarted (Job 42:2).

The Lord of hosts has sworn saying, "Surely, just as I have intended so it has happened, and just as I have planned so it will stand (Isaiah 14:24).

His purpose will be established, and He will accomplish all His good pleasure (Isaiah 46:10).

God gave Jesus authority over all mankind, that to all whom God hast given Him, He may give eternal life (John 17:2).

This is the will of Him who sent Jesus, that of all that the Father has given the Son He lose nothing (John 6:39)

A man's way is not in himself; Nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps (Jeremiah 10:23).

He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires (Romans 9:18).

God has shut up all men in disobedience that He may show mercy to all (Romans 11:32).

No one can resist His will (Romans 9:19).

The potter has a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honor, and another for dishonor (Romans 9:21).

The gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable (Romans 11:29).

The Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills (1 Corinthians 12:11).

It does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy (Romans 9:16).

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The question should not be "if we accept Christ as our savior" it should always be "if we accept Christ as our savior AND LORD" A lot of people mistakenly forget or brush aside that last part. True salvation involves a total change of heart and utter submission to Christ's Lordship. Yes, as still imperfect humans, we will still stumble and sin at times. But as people who are saved and have the Holy Spirit in us, we will naturally be led to a burning desire to serve and glorify our Lord daily, avoiding sin, not because it will send us to hell, but because it would bring dishonor to our prescious Lord.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. Yes. "Sirs, what must I do to be saved." And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." (Acts 16:30-31)

2. Maybe. "Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that practices good is of God: but he that practices evil hath not seen God. (3 John 11)

3. All one has to do initially to be saved is to believe. But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name. (John 1:12) If one has truly come to faith, it will be displayed throughout their Christian course. They will constantly be adjusting & re-adjusting their Theological course for accuracy. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Acts 17:11)
So there may be a number of changes of churches and practices during a Christian's life.

Upvote 0

TigerBunny

Mar 10, 2007
✟8,872.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Perhaps this will be helpful to you sister.

How does a person become a Christian? Plenty of opinions abound in answer to this question. Some say that living a moral life makes a person a Christian. Others declare that joining a church or being baptized makes a person a Christian. Still others call for a person to "make a decision" or "pray the prayer" or "ask Jesus into your heart." While opinions may be important, the one vital thing when speaking of becoming a Christian is what does God say about this in His Word?
God has given His Word - the Bible - to reveal Himself, His purpose for man, and the way to know Him personally. Everything a person needs to know about becoming a Christian can be found in God s Word. As God gives a person understanding of the gospel (the good news of how God, in Christ has provided salvation for man), then that person can come to the point of genuine faith in Jesus Christ and, consequently, become a Christian.

For the rest try
here.

God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.