• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

My Perspective Challenge

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by AV1611VET, Nov 17, 2016.

1. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

+4,188
    Seeker
    Yes.

2. Moral Orel

Moral Orel Proud Citizen of Moralton Supporter

+2,129
    United States
    Agnostic
    Married
    It's not about being simple, it's about being intentionally imprecise.

So, the sailfish is the winner. You see, they develop from fertilized egg to hatching in just 60-70 hours. The cheetah takes three months, the lightning bug takes 3-4 weeks, and the falcon takes about a month. All of these things take place on earth. (There's earth underwater too). Or did you mean fastest at something else?

So allow me to make some guesses here. This is commentary on overthinking things, since I should have assumed you meant "travels the fastest" without you saying such. And you intentionally picked a misleading word "earth" instead of the more direct "land" which wouldn't have caused any confusion about whether you simply missed the Shift key.

Lesson you want us to learn: make assumptions about what people are talking about, and base your answers on those assumptions rather than clarifying what it is they're going on about.

Is that about right?

3. Widlast

Widlast Well-Known Member

+636
    Catholic
    Married
    Again, not clever.
    Tolkien taught me the virtue of nobility. There is little of that to be found in the modern world.
    Most people enjoy their myths, whether they know them to be myths or not.
    I had the pleasure of being able to choose my favorite myths.

4. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+16,198
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    Well said.

5. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+41,046
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You of the Elven bloodline, are you?

6. AV1611VET

+41,046
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well, said.

7. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,135
    Atheist
    Private
    The Cheetah is the fastest running animal on Earth. Next question?

Ken

8. Widlast

Widlast Well-Known Member

+636
    Catholic
    Married
    House of Finarfin.

9. mzungu

mzungu INVICTUS

+183
    Atheist
    Married
    Actually since AV wrote "earth" and not "Earth" then the correct answer will be Cheetah.
    The Devil is in the details.

10. AV1611VET

+41,046
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican

11. Kylie

Kylie Defeater of Illogic

+3,972
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Which is faster, the speed of light (299 792 458 m/s) or the super computer Sunway TaihuLight, in mainland China, with a Linpack benchmark of 93 PFLOPS?

12. [serious]

[serious] 'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA Supporter

+1,651
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Which one hikes faster?

13. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,388
    Atheist
    Married
    This may not be relevant, but from the Sun's perspective, the Earth, and everything contained therein, is traveling around it at 30km/sec (just over 67,000 mph.)

14. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+24,470
    Agnostic
    Single
    Noting that you couldn't answer the question.

15. AV1611VET

+41,046
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    "Couldn't"?

Not hardly.

I just don't want to bias the challenge by stipulating land, sea, air or semantics ... forcing only one correct answer.

I simply asked a question that can be answered four different ways: all four of which are correct in their own way.

Then I simply sat back and observed the resultant immature replies, requests for stipulation, and other expected whatnot.

If you'll notice, professor of literature, Ken-1122 and mzungu gave the best answers, since they justified them.

16. TLK Valentine

+24,470
    Agnostic
    Single
    You wanted to make the point that truth is dependent on one's point of view, then?

I would've thought that a Christian, of all people, would be more interested in objective, as opposed to subjective, truth.

17. Mobezom

Mobezom Active Member

+62
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    Well, as a materialistically, empirically, pragmatically philosophically inclined individual, I would argue that there is some degree of subjectivity to "truth".

But that doesn't make all "truths" equal. Notably, verifiability, reproducibility, and falsifiability make the scientific worldview a "safer bet" than religion. And within science, there are some things that are false. YEC is one of them.

18. AV1611VET

+41,046
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Just using your own philosophy against you.

Here's a prime example:

Joshua 10:13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

Of the three choices below, what is the best way for a scientist to interpret this passage?

1. Employ general relativity and interpret the passage literally from the standpoint of the point of the observer; God used an amanuensis to write the passage.

2. Assume ignorance on the part of the author, who was assuming geocentrism; God had nothing to do with its authorship and preservation.

3. Treat the passage as inconclusive; pending further stipulation.

(Please answer this.)

19. TLK Valentine

+24,470
    Agnostic
    Single
    Then you agree with it. Good to know.

2. Assume ignorance on the part of the author, who was assuming geocentrism.

The rest is irrelevant to a scientist.

20. AV1611VET

+41,046
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Thank you.