My Orthodox friend sent me a text about putting a Cross outside our doors tonight

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
*** You Are In The Eastern Orthodox Forum ***

He said it was from Fr. Gregory.

It said that that The Holy Fathers of Mount Athos were strongly urging all Orthodox Christians to place a Cross on their outside doors of their homes tonight.

And if they don't have a Cross just to trace one with olive oil with your finger.

It said that it was serious and they just completed the Paraklesis to the Mother of God on The Holy Mountain and these instructions likely then came from Our Lady, the Mother of God to the monks on the top of the Holy Mountain.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I personally think that even people who are not specifically Orthodox Christians and just Christians in general should also do this.

I just wanted to tell you all about this and urge you to also do this tonight.

323c9eb5c12bfb60317a4d7c6e9997c7.jpg

Last edited:

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apply the blood of Jesus to your life by being obedient. In order for the death angel to pass over the homes of the Israelites in Egypt, they were commanded to apply the blood of the lamb to the door posts of their houses. In the same way we apply the blood of Jesus who is our Passover lamb to the door posts of our lives when we continue to obey God.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am not legally allowed to place anything on my outside door (that space is reserved for official notices from the apartment management), but I think I can place things facing out on my sliding glass door, though they will have to be up high to be seen above the fence that surrounds the patio that the door opens to.

I like this idea. My immediate neighbors include a family of (I'm assuming) Catholics of Hispanic descent who would probably like it, and Muslims from (again, assuming based on the demographics of my neighborhood) Afghanistan, who are very nice and might have cause to wonder if they were to see it. (They don't seem like the radical type who would get mad about it.)

149-1495837_coptic-cross-black-skin-class-coptic-cross-png.png

As a bonus, if I use this version I get to teach my neighbors some Coptic! :)

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He said it was from Fr. Gregory.

It said that that The Holy Fathers of Mount Athos were strongly urging all Orthodox Christians to place a Cross on their outside doors of their homes tonight.

And if they don't have a Cross just to trace one with olive oil with your finger.

It said that it was serious and they just completed the Paraklesis to the Mother of God on The Holy Mountain and these instructions likely then came from Our Lady, the Mother of God to the monks on the top of the Holy Mountain.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I personally think that even people who are not specifically Orthodox Christians and just Christians in general should also do this.

I just wanted to tell you all about this and urge you to also do this tonight.

323c9eb5c12bfb60317a4d7c6e9997c7.jpg

depositphotos_162121580-stock-photo-cross-on-the-door-of.jpg

I'll say that I don't think that this is quite "real" in that it's not actually a message from the Holy Fathers of Mt. Athos, but I don't think it could hurt. I just saw this posted from Fr. Andrew Damick.

Here you go :
fr andrew.png

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Reminder:
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not legally allowed to place anything on my outside door (that space is reserved for official notices from the apartment management), but I think I can place things facing out on my sliding glass door, though they will have to be up high to be seen above the fence that surrounds the patio that the door opens to.

I like this idea. My immediate neighbors include a family of (I'm assuming) Catholics of Hispanic descent who would probably like it, and Muslims from (again, assuming based on the demographics of my neighborhood) Afghanistan, who are very nice and might have cause to wonder if they were to see it. (They don't seem like the radical type who would get mad about it.)

can you use oil?

Upvote 0

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am an orthodox but I heard nothing about this. Now, think about the OT story, when they had to put the blood of a lamb around their doors, just think for a second, in a symbolic way, your house ( your body ), the door post, the entrance to your house ( the place where things come into your body and then leave, your MIND ) the blood of a lamb, the blood of Christ ( the power of Holy Spirit, the seal of Christ for those who are saved, those who are under God's power ), let the Holy Spirit guard your house.

Just saying!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't imagine they could stop me, though they may wash it off (or not). I don't remember seeing anything in my lease about it one way or another.

you can make it small I suspect

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Use the Coptic cross!

The version I saw had said to make a cross of olive oil over the doors. Either way, still gotta pray.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like the prayer I saw in one prayer book, when you get into bed, make the sign of the cross and say “guard me O Lord, by the might of thy precious and life giving cross, and protect me from all evil”

I also remember reading something YEARS ago, I think from a Coptic source, to make the sign of the cross with a cross (I believe in this source, the individual was instructed to use a cross made from palms), in all four directions when about to go to sleep

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship

What do those words mean around the cross?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The same message was passed on to me from a friend whose brother is a monk on Mt Athos.
I think they have long understood that they can get the message out faster through social media than through official channels, though I agree with Fr Andrew Stephen Damick that we need to be cautious about accepting things without doing a little bit of checking.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Apply the blood of Jesus to your life by being obedient. In order for the death angel to pass over the homes of the Israelites in Egypt, they were commanded to apply the blood of the lamb to the door posts of their houses. In the same way we apply the blood of Jesus who is our Passover lamb to the door posts of our lives when we continue to obey God.
Scripture? I'm really curious how you came up with this explanation.
PM me if you like so you don't fall foul of the forum rules.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Scripture? I'm really curious how you came up with this explanation.
PM me if you like so you don't fall foul of the forum rules.
Just a quick reply as to not run afoul. The blood applied to our lives is efficacious as long as we continue to abide in Christ - in much the same way that the Israelites abided and trusted in God by applying the lamb's blood to the door posts of their homes. Obviously if they had disobeyed, the death angel would not have spared their lives.
In the same was we live by faith and our obedience to God is made possible by the grace which he provides obtained through his shed blood in order for us to live obedient and sanctified lives. If the Israelites disobeyed they would have died. If we habitually disobey God, we also die.
My brothers, if anyone among you might wander from the truth, and someone should bring him back, let him know that the one having brought back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death, and will cover over a multitude of sins. Js 5:19-20
The Israelites needed to obey and apply the blood to their homes. Likewise we as believers need to apply the blood of Jesus to our lives by following Him and not straying.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just a quick reply as to not run afoul. The blood applied to our lives is efficacious as long as we continue to abide in Christ - in much the same way that the Israelites abided and trusted in God by applying the lamb's blood to the door posts of their homes. Obviously if they had disobeyed, the death angel would not have spared their lives.
In the same was we live by faith and our obedience to God is made possible by the grace which he provides obtained through his shed blood in order for us to live obedient and sanctified lives. If the Israelites disobeyed they would have died. If we habitually disobey God, we also die.
My brothers, if anyone among you might wander from the truth, and someone should bring him back, let him know that the one having brought back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death, and will cover over a multitude of sins. Js 5:19-20
The Israelites needed to obey and apply the blood to their homes. Likewise we as believers need to apply the blood of Jesus to our lives by following Him and not straying.
You quoted one passage completely unrelated to your claims.

Upvote 0