My OBOB Observations since returning....

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's secular, even the other Christian sub forums are just secular. No one is talking about faith. Its sad but this forum reflects what our society has become. We are so godless. When the son of man returns will he find any faith left?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It's secular, even the other Christian sub forums are just secular. No one is talking about faith.

What kind of topics do you see people talking about when it comes to faith?

I'd say that very few people around the forums are willing to have high-level discussions about nuanced subjects. So, low-level discussions are boring. Like on this forum it'd be "should we follow the Pope" and everybody says yes.

Now, if people wanted to have some really in-depth discussions about things that aren't the basics of faith, that'd be really interesting.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What kind of topics do you see people talking about when it comes to faith?

I'd say that very few people around the forums are willing to have high-level discussions about nuanced subjects. So, low-level discussions are boring. Like on this forum it'd be "should we follow the Pope" and everybody says yes.

Now, if people wanted to have some really in-depth discussions about things that aren't the basics of faith, that'd be really interesting.

actually when talking about the Pope you would expect the answer to be 'yes, we should follow';especially here in OBOB. but that's not the case any more.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
actually when talking about the Pope you would expect the answer to be 'yes, we should follow';especially here in OBOB. but that's not the case any more.

I think OBOBers generally respect and advocate for following the Pope. The only issue I can think of that a lot of posters disagree with him on is immigration and the treatment of immigrants, especially illegal immigrants seeking beter lives.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I'm up for any discussion but this board just feels very secular to me now. We should be talking about the love of Christ. This is Christian forums, not humanitarian forums. I dont want to be involved in godless, political correct BS.

I started several threads on here to try to talk about the prophets. That way I could actually participate (although I might get nailed for "teaching" even if it isn't contradicting the Church at all). Nobody really got into it. It wasn't that interesting. So what people are drawn to are the issues of the day. That means politics. Modern politics are basically secular.

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I'm up for any discussion but this board just feels very secular to me now. We should be talking about the love of Christ. This is Christian forums, not humanitarian forums. I dont want to be involved in godless, political correct BS.

you are not mistaken.

Upvote 0

sea oat

Jul 30, 2010
✟8,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think OBOBers generally respect and advocate for following the Pope. The only issue I can think of that a lot of posters disagree with him on is immigration and the treatment of immigrants, especially illegal immigrants seeking beter lives.

There is plenty of disagreement here with the Pope on other issues like abortion, homosexuality, and gay marriage. I'm not really sure how a regular browser here would miss that.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Agreed. That sounds like a Fundamentalist approach.

I would simply suggest discussions that are about Catholicism, about being Catholic, etc.
it would be nice if we could do that, but curently it's not a safe way to post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is plenty of disagreement here with the Pope on other issues like abortion, homosexuality, and gay marriage. I'm not really sure how a regular browser here would miss that.

In 10 years I've seen exactly two regular posters state that abortion shouldn't always be illegal - Fantine and Antigone. I don't know any regular posters who disagree with him on "homosexuality". There are a couple on the right and left that disagree with his stance on same sex civil marriage and I can't think of any who disagree with him on Sacramental Marriage.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

they don't miss it. the difference is that they recognise it for what it is, and avoid it (and people who promulgate it) whenever possible,
for the sake of being able to continue being a member here, and to do some good if that is still possible.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It's secular, even the other Christian sub forums are just secular. No one is talking about faith. Its sad but this forum reflects what our society has become. We are so godless. When the son of man returns will he find any faith left?

He will find faith, never doubt that.
He will find courage and devotion too, and holiness.

God knows where His children are.
Even when they have to hide in order to survive,
He still knows and loves them.

When they tremble in fear He calls them courageous warriors,
because He can see the time ahead when they will act upon that faith.
And He will preserve them in His love day by day, and hour by hour.

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him.
Though He seems to tarry, He will come!

Upvote 0

sea oat

Jul 30, 2010
✟8,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In 10 years I've seen exactly two regular posters state that abortion shouldn't always be illegal - Fantine and Antigone. I don't know any regular posters who disagree with him on "homosexuality". There are a couple on the right and left that disagree with his stance on same sex civil marriage and I can't think of any who disagree with him on Sacramental Marriage.

Oh dear. I'm not into naming names, but I do have at least 3 people I'm thinking of right off the top of my head who disagree with him on Sacramental Marriage, and those 2 you named weren't among them.

Sorry, but anyone who's been a regular member here for 10 years, and somehow observes immigration is the "only" regular disagreement with the Pope on here is either terribly mistaken, or being disingenuous.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
They follow the pope in the spirit of humanism, they still thumb their nose to the moral teachings of the Church.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But in their seeking a better life, which I personally take no issue with what so ever, it has come at the expense of the quality of the lives here. If you do not know what this whole issue has created, they you need not comment. You really need not comment unless you really, truly understand and know what it has down to the communities that live with it. Darn, how more clear can I be?

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would you like to see in debate in when posters disagree?

I'd just like to see overall respect for everyone, even in disagreement. There is absolutely no reason to get personal when we discuss the subjects we do here. I think it gets into a game of (you're a horrible ignorant person) way too often in OBOB.

What subjects would you like to discuss more?
Our Faith, our struggles with our faith, fellowship and fun things so we can bond a bit more. It's harder to be nasty with those you bond with.

What subjects would you like to see less of?
Subjects that are posted just for arguments sake. Not much to do with the faith. Not much to do with anything that would actually promote fruitful discussion. Just to argue and cause rifts because people know that always means a busy thread. I honestly think some people just love to argue and find it entertaining. We need healthier forms of entertainment in OBOB.
Do you wish we were one unified community even when we disagree?
I absolutely do but I think that there is a stubbornness here where we bond with certain posters and refuse to bond with others because we label each other and refuse to see them as friends regardless of the labels we slap on one another.

How do you feel or want to feel about your fellow OBOB posters?

I want to see them as real people. That have feelings. Even if I do not agree with them. I remember an atheist man and the nursing home that poked and prodded when he saw me praying with others. I talked with him but was not mean to him. We joked. I did not try to debate him into faith. But I can promise you he watched me. It mattered. What we do here matters too. People watch us. And me an the elderly atheist guy? We became friends and trusted each other even though we disagreed. He may of seen me as believing in a fairy tale as he put it but we did trust each other. I feel that is another huge problem in OBOB.

How can we get there?
Etc.
I have my thoughts like I posted above but would love to hear your suggestions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I started several threads on here to try to talk about the prophets. That way I could actually participate (although I might get nailed for "teaching" even if it isn't contradicting the Church at all). Nobody really got into it. It wasn't that interesting. So what people are drawn to are the issues of the day. That means politics. Modern politics are basically secular.
reveals the hearts of many.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
and I love and respect that they do not play games and lay all their cards out on the table. At least with them, we know their honest, sincere and what you see is what you get.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They follow the pope in the spirit of humanism, they still thumb their nose to the moral teachings of the Church.
Except when they want to use it to condemn someone for going undercover to expose Planned Parenthood.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.