Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not sure if you have already returned Bella, but I just want to second what rhawk said. You have to be patient with cats and accept their personalities. Many cats don't like to be handled, just like some people are introverted and prefer to be alone. And if you haven't had her long, you haven't established trust yet. You should check out some Jackson Galaxy videos on YouTube on living with a cat. He has lots of helpful videos about this topic.

We have a cat who came to us as a street kitten and used to hate affection. She would only be with us at a distance. She would sit in the same room with us, but didn't like to be handled, especially by me. Two years later, she is a little love bug and has to get her "petting sessions" every night. She prefers my husband to me, but I'm fine with that. I'm just happy she's happy. Sometimes it takes a lot of time for cats to warm up. It's just their nature. Also, in my experience, older cats are more likely to be lap cats. My twelve-year-old who passed away last year would sit in my lap for hours.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Bella is much better now. I think Bella needs more toys and treat training. Mom has no patience for Bella. She refused to believe me when I said Bella would do much better with some more toys. She cares about my skin for a good reason. Nothing is wrong with that. But her refusal to accept the facts Jackson Galaxy knows about training cats like Bella is something I have to accept. I am sure he would have fixed her in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have been depressed because my mom returned Bella when she was getting much better and appeared to already love us. Mom can talk all day about the fact Bella will never be a cuddly lap cat, but I feel like I was forced to stop in the middle of a rehabilitation project. It is true that cats can learn to stop scratching and biting people when they are overstimulated. I thought God wanted me to adopt this beautiful girl, not foster her for two and a half weeks. Mom had other plans.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Update: I found a beautiful patched tabby named Fluttershy on the local humane society's website. She is in a foster home, so to see her I filled out the adoption application and have to arrange a meet and greet. The application has been approved.

Naming her is much easier said than done because most cats do not have black strips on top of orange or red and brown patches. So my plan now is to give her a feminine name because no male cats are like her on the outside - assuming she will be my next furry daughter.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Good news! A tentative appointment time has been set for Sunday at 1:00. If the foster mom agrees that is a good time for the meet and greet, I can have a cat early next week. I am now in crunch time to come up with purrfect names for a fancy patched tabby.

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
View attachment 300903

I do not understand this. Why did God lead me to a cat who does not want to be petted, cuddled, held, or on laps indefinitely and draws blood to make me stop petting her?

I am now waiting for the adoption counselor to schedule to appointment at a "sanctuary" (part of a lady's private property) to return Bella and bring home a better cat. Keep praying!
Could be he wanted you to care for the cat and teach you patience and understanding. A "stepdaughter" of me got an almost grown cat from a shelter that had rescued it from a bad home. She picked that cat because it seemed to need it the most, and had been there longest. That one did claw and bite. That was what the cat was used to have to act, in fightmode. By being calm, and no sudden movement, and letting it scratch and bite, it did do it a little less. Eventually we could pet it sometimes without getting scratched, and then it got a treat and got better. Eventually the cat sometimes sought us out.Just had to accept it was on the cats accord, and that it was semiwild.

I came to make a thread about getting a cat, and some advice. Then I saw yours, sorry it did not work out. Curious to hear how it goes with the next one. What type of cat was this? Do not want a cat that scratch and bites this time

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Bella has ocicat spots, black feet, and a white chin. She is a small cat. That makes her a DSH. I would do a DNA test on her to answer that question.

Start your own thread about adopting a cat.
I did that. Just wanted to advice you on the first cat, before I read that you got rid of it.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I did that. Just wanted to advise you on the first cat, before I read that you got rid of it.

Mom got rid of her. I knew Bella would improve with more time, but never be the purrfect cat for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums