My mother wants to talk about Orthodoxy (TAW)

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I assume your mother is not Orthodox, and that you do not want to offend her. How you should respond depends a lot on what your mother's beliefs are, but regardless what you say should be truthful.

Perhaps you could tell your mother you believe that Jesus is the son of God, and is our only hope. You might add that you feel you can grow in Christ best by following the Orthodox way.

Perhaps sharing studies from the Bible with her will help her to understand that you are serious about your relationship with Jesus.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I assume your mother is not Orthodox, and that you do not want to offend her. How you should respond depends a lot on what your mother's beliefs are, but regardless what you say should be truthful.

Perhaps you could tell your mother you believe that Jesus is the son of God, and is our only hope. You might add that you feel you can grow in Christ best by following the Orthodox way.

Perhaps sharing studies from the Bible with her will help her to understand that you are serious about your relationship with Jesus.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Continued prayers for you.

I wonder why she is asking - if you know? That can help guide the conversation.

Others have given good answers. I will only say that I do best by (1) avoiding mentioning any denomination/comparison at all, and instead (2) focusing on what I have gained by finding such things as God truly as love, discipline that helps in overcoming temptation, prayers that truly open my eyes and heart to God, worship that brings me into the presence of heaven, deepening trust in God, and so on.

I don't mean as a list as I just wrote it. I think that tends to come off as triumphalistic. Rather I find it best if someone asks to talk about one or two things that are fitting to the conversation, and how they help me love God more fully or follow Jesus better than I did before. That kind of concrete honesty seems to reassure people that we really ARE following Christ. And/or give them a glimpse of what they can share in also, if they want it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Howdy!

My mom wants to talk what motivated me to choose the Orthodox faith and I don't want to argue nor want to cause trouble.

What should I say? :(

I would recommend you take the approach of some of the older converts, especially Peter Quilquist in "Becoming Orthodox", and "Coming Home". You basically give the Orthodox Equivalent of a "Testimony" in Protestant circles. This is simply you "telling your story". I assume you like the rest of us probably found some areas of Protestantism wanting. Be honest about that!

But hopefully there are some truths or other positive things in your former background that you found also celebrated in Orthodoxy, also talk about those things. And hopefully in doing so, you can be genuinely gratefully for some areas of your Faith that your previous background helped you learn.

In my case, I was greatly helped in reading many Orthodox testimonies that helped me articulate some things I had experienced. So go looking on the web, but I will leave you a few good examples to peruse that I have cited in the past.

From First Baptist to the First Century

Recovering the Ancient Paths · Journey To Orthodoxy

O Lord, Establish This Vineyard · Journey To Orthodoxy

https://www.amazon.com/Coming-Home-Protestant-Becoming-Orthodox/dp/0962271322

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Continued prayers for you.

I wonder why she is asking - if you know? That can help guide the conversation.

Others have given good answers. I will only say that I do best by (1) avoiding mentioning any denomination/comparison at all, and instead (2) focusing on what I have gained by finding such things as God truly as love, discipline that helps in overcoming temptation, prayers that truly open my eyes and heart to God, worship that brings me into the presence of heaven, deepening trust in God, and so on.

I don't mean as a list as I just wrote it. I think that tends to come off as triumphalistic. Rather I find it best if someone asks to talk about one or two things that are fitting to the conversation, and how they help me love God more fully or follow Jesus better than I did before. That kind of concrete honesty seems to reassure people that we really ARE following Christ. And/or give them a glimpse of what they can share in also, if they want it.
Well, I was a really devoted Evangelical Christian and she is surprised that suddenly I had a change of faith when I entered college.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I was a really devoted Evangelical Christian and she is surprised that suddenly I had a change of faith when I entered college.
I guess I mean people have usually asked me because of one of several reasons ...

Because they are afraid I have abandoned Christianity and become apostate (I need an eyeroll emoticon)

Because they are interested in theology or Christian history and want to discuss more

Because they see a difference in me and want to know why.

I prefer the third reason. The second works too. I get the first entirely too often.

I'd answer each of them a bit differently.

(Oh, and a few have wanted to track the "journey" ... which is usually simple curiosity or an Orthodox inquirer)

Upvote 0

Antoni

Aug 17, 2019
NorthEast
✟51,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Whatever you do in your discussion with your mother on this very important topic, make sure you do so with smiles and joy. She needs to know she is not losing her son. That is a mother’s greatest fear. Let her see she is gaining a son that is full of love and peace, and a desire to grow closer to Christ.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hope I could be the "really glad sort of figure" that could show his mother he had changed, unfortunately, my life has had a lot of personal struggles, and that has affected me a lot, plus my current situation made me downcast for a couple of days.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Howdy!

My mom wants to talk what motivated me to choose the Orthodox faith and I don't want to argue nor want to cause trouble.

OP I said a prayer for you.

I've been asking Mary / Theotokos to pray for my Mom to go visit an Orthodox Nun Monastery that is close to where she lives and speak with the nuns there.

I've been trying to tell her about Orthodoxy so I know how you feel.

Theotokos_Virgin_Mary_Hodegetria_Guide_Hand-Painted_Orthodox_Icon_5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Antoni

Aug 17, 2019
NorthEast
✟51,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
While I don’t know your specific circumstances, I understand what it means to be downcast. It is certainly not easy to be joyful when there is great pain to deal with.

If Orthodoxy is giving you hope and strength in your personal struggles, which I imagine it must be since you are considering to convert, then that is what you should demonstrate to her, in a gentle and loving way. It is often helpful to explain the history and the theological reasons for your conversion, but what your mother likely wants to see is that your consideration is a sober one, coming from your heart and through prayer, and supplying you with the hope and peace which you need. It cannot be that you are running away from something, but that you are walking towards something with hope and which you feel will deepen your love and faith in God.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Howdy!

Might help to know where she is coming from...RC? Protestant? Atheist? Something else? Remember, nobody was ever argued into the church. I'm sure you have your reasons, good ones. Offer them as a starting point without being critical. Let her walk the same road you did with your reasons and experiences acting as mileposts for her.

Upvote 0