Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would post this in the pets forum, but I cannot find it. If this post does not belong here, a moderator can move it.

Our dog is immature for her age. My mom is starting to save up for obedience school so we can get her trained.

She...

Pees on the floor
Barks at nothing (and other strange behaviors)
Barks at other people
Chases cars
Disobeyed commands
Eats things off the floor even when she knows she is not supposed to
Goes into the kitchen a lot even though it is an off limits area
Still wants to play and have fun all the time

I know that people are sinners, but I didn't think that dogs had a sin nature like we do, but she seems to gave a lot of flaws.

May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If anyone has advice for dealing with bad behavior in dogs, I would love to hear it. I admit she has never been trained to do anything before, but I am not an expert in training dogs. None of us are. Thus obedience school seems to be a great idea.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
She also keeps chasing our cat even after my parents have yelled at her not go and they have even spanked her several times for harassing our cat. I don't think spanking her is working because she keeps on doing bad things regardless how many times we smack her on the behind or put her in her cage as punishment. I wonder what will work....

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dogs don't understand WHY you are yelling at them, so don't. Also do NOT EVER hit an animal! Use positive rewards, such as tiny treats when your dog is not misbehaving, and when you are working on teaching good behavior.

There are countless youtube videos on how to train your dog. Sounds like your dog is communicating many things and you aren't listening. There seems to be a lot of drama in your household and your pet is picking up on it and doesn't know what to do....but exercise will begin to help.

Don't be frustrated, dogs learn very easily, it's the owners who aren't consistent. ;)

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, never mind why there's food on the floor..

We have a dog too.
He's also a little difficult and doesn't listen too well.
it's a Shih Tzu male.
We got him from the dog asylum, he has a traumatic past.
He barks a lot...
He's not good with small children either.
He did improve his behaviour though, especially the last months.
He used to be scared a lot and tended to bite in defence of what he considered to be threatening.
Triggered trauma probably.

How long do you have your dog?
How old is she?

Pet training courses are probably a good idea.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it possible for animals to sin? I thought only us humans inherited the sin nature. Why is my dog like this then if dogs are supposed to be sinless?
No dogs do not sin or have a sin nature. Some dogs are harder to train then others because they aren't as smart, because of their breeding they don't respond well to certain types of discipline, or are put in the wrong environment for their breeding and personality.

How old is your dog? And what is it's breeding?

I've had dogs since I was a small child and trained several but I had a dog several years ago that I couldn't do anything with. The breeding was from two blue healer cow dogs and the sire was not a people dog. We ended up finding that dog a new home where his breeding and personality fit in. He became a cattle chute dog on a ranch. They were happy with him as a cow dog and he was happy with his job. He didn't have to like people, just dislike cows.
We got a border collie that we could trust with people, liked being part of the family, and was also a great cattle dog on our small ranch. Smartest dog I ever had.

• Useful
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would post this in the pets forum, but I cannot find it. If this post does not belong here, a moderator can move it.

Our dog is immature for her age. My mom is starting to save up for obedience school so we can get her trained.

She...

Pees on the floor
Barks at nothing (and other strange behaviors)
Barks at other people
Chases cars
Disobeyed commands
Eats things off the floor even when she knows she is not supposed to
Goes into the kitchen a lot even though it is an off limits area
Still wants to play and have fun all the time

I know that people are sinners, but I didn't think that dogs had a sin nature like we do, but she seems to gave a lot of flaws.

Hi
I love dogs. They need consistent training and firm, but always kind, handling. Ignore bad behaviour, reward good. It works if you persist.

The same training is effective for men, lol!

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's pretty hard to ignore a bite that wounds though...
A wounding bite sometimes calls for a couple of strikes with a rolled up magazine.
Dog should know biting has unpleasant consequences, he needs to know his place in the hierarchy.
I think it's important though to not hold grudges after a wounding bite, like staying angry at the dog or growing to dislike the dog.
So yeah, i have hit our dog a few times after he bit me and my hand bled...
He did get the message though.
And i still love him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok,if he gets boisterous again, get him firmly by the throat and hold him down for a moment. That is what the alpha male in a wolf pack does. Do this a few times and he will understand. Also, when feeding, make him sit first, count 30 seconds, then put food bowl on floor. Vital to control him at meal times. He thinks he is in charge, leader of your pack. Educate him otherwise. No cruelty is ever required. A rolled up newspaper is acceptable of course as it is harmless but the noise shocks him.

Upvote 0