Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you hold the core beliefs of Christianity and live a good life then you will be fine. If you believe Jesus is the son of God, he died on the cross for sins and then resurrected then all you must do is live a good life and hold to the teachings of Jesus. People can differ in their interpretations so much within Christianity because unlike many other religions Christianity speaks directly to an individual, not a group.

Islam for the most part deals with how an entire community should operate, while Jesus speaks directly to an individual. The Sunni-Shia divide occurred due to political differences.
I have to disagree just a bit. Yes, God speaks to the individual, amen and amen, but He also addresses the group, that is what the whole teaching about the body of Christ, the church is all about. The Church being many but one, you know, start a study in I Cor. 12 and move out from there. The bible teaches both individual and group...

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Last night I had a dream where I obsessively looked for rosary beads. While I don't remember all the details of the dream, I remember that I couldn't rest unless they were wrapped around my wrists. Not sure what that would mean?
Rosary beads are sanctioned religious symbols -- pre-approved for saying "the right" prayer. It is so much safer to do something that you're certain is acceptable.

Humans tend to build up religious doctrine and rules, far beyond the point that God presents to us. God moved people into freedom from Egypt, and they wanted something to rely on, so created a golden calf to worship.

God gave them rules to abide by, and they built up the rules further.
Jesus confronted the Pharisees and Saducees for tithing herbs -- getting so obsessed with the guidelines, that rules oppressed the people.
Even the Tower of Babel story seems to speak to man's intent to build up religion or spirituality farther than God intended.

It is easier for many of us to take tests in school and be approved as right, than to make life decisions that require risk. In Christianity, the risk is leaning on God for daily guidance, and leaning on faith that He wants to take care of us. It is so much simpler to just be good and fulfill a to-do list.

Your grasping for the security of a sure thing reflects again our human desire to rely on doing things correctly. Trusting that our righteousness can ultimately save us.
But it is God's grace that offers the contract, makes the decision, and lifts us out of our earthly mire.

Seek His face. Read His Words.

There is a line from an Episcopal prayer book's Prayer of Humble Access:

We do not presume to come to this Thy table, trusting in our own righteousness; but in Thy manifold and great mercies.

Prayer of Humble Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wrapping around your wrist -- hands reflect our ability, our works and creations. You were securing the religious practice around all that you do -- wanting so much to please God, and making sure your actions were based on good intents.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear xaira. Christianity is no sect, and in Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus told a
Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus tells us: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." That is straightforward and easy to remember. The Bible, God`s Word to Man, tells us to " Repent," to change our selfish and unloving character, into becoming loving and caring men and women. Jesus promised us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love, also. We have to " ask and ye shall receive,"
( Matthew 7: 7-10) then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with our
neighbour: i.e. all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. We keep asking God and thanking God, and then share all Love and Joy with our neighbour.
God is Love, and God wants loving and caring children/sons and daughters.
Love is a Christian`s great weapon, with Love we overcome all enmity, and wrong behaviour. Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us: JESUS IS THE WAY. That is the Christian Message, and any difference is NOT Christian.
Repent and follow Jesus` Message: Repent, and Love God with all our beings, and love our neighbour as we love ourselves. We might stumble and forget sometime,
but then we ask God to forgive us and carry on Loving and Caring: all we say or do and all we advise and stand for. I say this with love, xaira.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ. P.S . to repent and change into the men and women which God wants us to become.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Protestantism/Catholicism/Orthodoxy? Each claims to be the TRUE followers of Christ. Some claim if you're not with them you're doomed. Why can't being a Christian just mean being a Christian? (Sorry I'm venting my frustration).

When you do a lot of research (especially on the Internet), you'll find people like you described. But that's not what I see in my everyday life. In fact, if I think about my four best friends throughout my life, they are Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Greek Orthodox, and non-Christian (Agnostic). Most of the Christians I know are not so caught up in doctrine differences. For example, my Presbyterian friend told me that he doesn't try to figure out all the Calvinism debates... but I'll tell you this: he loves his neighbor. He and his wife volunteer and help the poor. I think diversity in Christianity is very good when it isn't divisive... I think of it as "unity without uniformity".

Upvote 0
S

StormHawk

I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out what Christianity is. There's so many variations - ...

You have listened to men.
Jesus never confused people, on the contrary.

Jesus only set up 1 church, no variations.
You become a member by receiving God's Spirit, as detailed in scripture - Acts 2:4, 33; 1 Cor. 12:13, 14:2, 4; John 3:8.

I've spend the last 27 years with people who are faithful to what Jesus set up (and what he is soon returning for!).

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2012
✟15,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
16 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 [e]Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you [f]always, even to the end of the age.”

Matthew 28:16

And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

Mark 16:15-16

Jesus wants people to believe in him as Savior and to walk with him in his commandments. Faith brings salvation and baptism in the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0