• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My life isn't getting better i'm losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaMandaRaye

Dec 4, 2008
✟7,814.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My career goal was to be an RN, I started taking pre reqs for it last year. My parents were pressuring me saying that this nursing thing is going to take too long. They thought you just go straight into nursing school. I was doing good early this year when my mom heard about this new LPN program that had just opened, i told her that I'd rather stay at the college I was at, and RN's tend to get more respect and make more money than LPN's anyway.

She got very angry wtih me, and demanded that I go and get started. She accused me of not wanting to better myself if I don't do what she said. She threatened me, cursed me out, the whole works. She can get very volent.

So I ended up going through a bunch of rings just to get a position in this latteral program. I had doubts from the beginning and my instinct told me that this program was probably crap. First they make you go through several courses before you even get to the LPN, and then they pick the ones they like or the ones who score the highest on the test even though the majority fail

I had studied my hardest for the test given the little time they gave me. And I missed it by 10 points. Initially the counselor said that I could take the test again, but she changed it midstream and said now they don't let students retake it. And her words were, "if you took it over again I doubt your score would go up anyway" She advised me to turn in the test scores and see if I will have a shot a getting into the program.

I cried when I found out that I could not retake the test. I just knew that if I scored higher it would give me a better shot. I called my mother up and was crying my tears out, just feeling like my life was coming to a dead end. My mother does not always make a situation better, she started saying things like "welll you know you weren't ready to take the test so why did you?" "I knew you wouldn't pass that test when I saw it myself. I thought how can y ou ever know this stuff" Just making the situation worse and blaming me for taking the test before I was ready. But I could not take the test any other time, my counselor told me that I either take it now or never.

I sent in my portfolio with my test scores and weeks later I contacted the counselor to see how things were going. She basically told me that looking at my test scores compared to their top 25 I might not be getting in, and that in a few weeks they'll be calling people to let them know if they will be accepted into the program.

She told me that I could take a CNA class (I am already certified in my state as one) just to brush up on my skills. I was offended. That CNA class is 5 weeks long and for 7 hours a day. I need to get my life on track and this is only setting me BACKWARDS. I told her that I could be using tha time towards something more beneficial like pursuing a career in nursing

A lot of people in this program are failing the test left and right. They even discourage new students who come into the program by reminding them that out of 200 students only 3-4 people officially pass. They don't give you any tutoring to help you build your skills to pass, they do recommend study guides that might help, but they c laim those books are of no use just look at how many fail.

When I left the counselor's office I was so angry, another male counselor who has a crush on me stopped to speak but I couldn't. I was on the verge of tears I jsut told him that they'll never see my face back here again. I was so upset and mad at myself. I sat in the car crying for about an hour just not knowing where my life will go. I wish I could have just stayed at college and taken four classes. But no, I wasted a significant portion of my life thinking that I was a step closer to being a nurse only to be set back. I am getting older and I cannot be living with my parents taking pre reqs and then waiting to get accepted into nursing school. I thought I could do it now while I am young and have the time. If I go back to college in January I won't even be able to get accepted into nursing school next year. and when I move out on my own which I am going to have to do being a nurse is just out of the question. No way I can go to nursing school 5 days a week 8 hours a day and afford to pay tent

Basically my parents are looking at me like a failure. Particularly my dad, I overhead him say one day that he knew I was never going to amount up to anything and look at just what happened. These low test scores just prove to him that I am nothing. He doesn't even speak to me by the way.

I don't know maybe being a nurse is just not my calling. I don't know what other career I could do to make ends meet. The job market out here is rough. I went looking for jobs today and got turned away without even being given an application. They all said that they are not hiring at the moment.

I have been having suicidal thoughts. I feel like if I don't get accepted than I'd rather just die. I don't want to be a secretary or work mininum wage jobs for the rest of my life to support myself. I don't want my calling in life to be a cashier or work in a factory. I guess I am not as smart as I thought I was. I can't believe I ever thought that. I keep thinking about parking myself in the garage, leave the car running and to just fall asleep forever. I really don't see things getting better for now

Last edited:
U

UnitynLove

Put your trust directly in God and what he says and never on what people say. It is written "Let God be true and let EVERY man be a LIAR." Your life is not over, it just means that it will take a little longer to reach the goals you need to reach. I know it hurts a lot to be rejected by people we love and need support from soo much, but sometimes people don't know any better. What I mean by that is that people only see you from where you are right now, but God knows your future and the good things he has for you. Ask the Lord to show you what else he has for you. Be encouraged sister you shall make it!! God's word is your truth and nothing else.

Upvote 0
S

samphillipssr

Hello LaMandaRaye,

God is your answer and solution now. Get your Bible and start reading it now in the new test. Then pray, asking God to help you to make the right decisions and walk in His Will.

If God be for us, who can be against us?

God is waiting for you to run into His arms of love and compassion. Do that right now, just pouring out your heart to Him. I'll be praying for you. You'll receive special strength and help as you do this.

Be encouraged and strengthened in Jesus Name... Amen

God Bless you my friend.

Upvote 0

heidi140

Feb 1, 2008
✟15,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm so sorry that your parents have treated you this way and made you feel so bad about yourself. I can really relate a lot to some of the things you wrote. It wasn't that long ago that I was pursuing continuing ed for a career change. It was very difficult and I felt like I hit a lot of roadblocks along the way and didn't always have much support. But I really felt called by God to this career and felt like he had placed it on my heart.

The way I looked at it has a lot to do with my stubbornness. Even when I was extremely frustrated, I knew there had to be a way to do it. I just had to figure it out. In the end, I ended up working full time and taking full credits for a short time, then being just a student and taking out a student loan. Although I don't like the ideas of loans, it was the only realistic way for me to make this career change and not have to live with my parents. It means that you'll have to pay it back over time, but that was worth waaaaay more to me than living at my parents. I just trusted God with it. You get time to defer the loan once you get out of school (with most good student loans) and further if you haven't found a job yet. If you haven't already looked at the option of student/government student loans, I'd talk to a financial aid counselor and check it out. It covers not just tuition, but room & board, books, etc.

If it were me, I'd write off the crappy program that seems very awful (about which your mother seems to have been terribly wrong about) and go back to pursuing what you knew would get you there in the first place. Then focus on trusting God and ignoring people who don't know as well (your parents).

I know it's not really this simple and there's a lot ahead of you. But you have to trust that if this is what God has put on your heart, there is a way to get there. Don't give up on the dreams he has given you. A great book that I read when I was being challenged was The Dream Giver, by Bruce Wilkinson. If you haven't read it, you should. It's very inspiring and helped me a lot to follow God with the dreams he had put before me.

Upvote 0

LaMandaRaye

Dec 4, 2008
✟7,814.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There are nursing schools that will accept me without a GPA, they will take me right in. The thing is that they are an hour and 30 minutes away. Many people who are pursuing the same field as me are doing it or is considering it

When I bring this up to my mother all I hear from her is YOU CAN'T BUT YOU CAN'T WON'T WORK. Such a distressing sound. Like I need her encouragement.

The thing is is that I know it will work and I can do it. I have the drive. And if I fail at nursing school at least i know I tried

My mother says that my car is old and cannot take all that wear and tear. But I think it can make it out there. She suggests that I move to that state. But I simply cannot afford it.

What do you all think I should do? Something in me says to do it and not listen to my mother. Look where it has gotten me. I'll still be in the same boat if I don't at least try. I think my car can make it an hour away everyday. I really really want to do it. I have been looking at the schools out there

Upvote 0

LaMandaRaye

Dec 4, 2008
✟7,814.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I just talked to my mother about the program again that is out of state.

As usual her responses were "you can't do it." "How are you going to afford the gas?"

I tell her that I can work on the weekend for gas money.

"How are you going to work and find time to study?"

Like, why is she asking me such stupid questions. Is it possible that a parent just doesnt' want their children to do any better at all? It's like she wants me to stay right where I am, at home, so she can remind me everyday of what I should have done or could have done. Here there is an opportunity for me to actually move forward, and she makes up some of the most dumb excuses as to why I shouldn't try to pursue it.

She tells me to move there. But I cannot afford to live on my own out of state while in nursing school. If she can have me living at home NOW, why can't I live at home while I am commuting out there.

She stresses me out so much. My dad does not even speak to me at all, and she is in denial about it. She refuses to see that we are not on the best of terms with our relatinship.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God has a plan for your life.
If you are unsure, it's always worth pushing the doors to see what happens... apply to a school, pray that God's will be done, and see. He is perfectly capable of controlling whether you are accepted.
Praying for you, sweetie, for wisdom, guidance and peace.

Upvote 0
U

UnitynLove

There are nursing schools that will accept me without a GPA, they will take me right in. The thing is that they are an hour and 30 minutes away. Many people who are pursuing the same field as me are doing it or is considering it

When I bring this up to my mother all I hear from her is YOU CAN'T BUT YOU CAN'T WON'T WORK. Such a distressing sound. Like I need her encouragement.

The thing is is that I know it will work and I can do it. I have the drive. And if I fail at nursing school at least i know I tried

My mother says that my car is old and cannot take all that wear and tear. But I think it can make it out there. She suggests that I move to that state. But I simply cannot afford it.

What do you all think I should do? Something in me says to do it and not listen to my mother. Look where it has gotten me. I'll still be in the same boat if I don't at least try. I think my car can make it an hour away everyday. I really really want to do it. I have been looking at the schools out there

Pray to God and ask him if this is what he would have you to do. If you know it is then pursue it. Sister, what God has for you no one can stop. I don't care how beat down your car is if it is God's will for you to get there you will! Pray about it.

Upvote 0

petrospetra

Dec 11, 2008
✟7,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,
I'd just like to encourage you that things are not as dark as they seem.
I went through a similar situation when I was 21 and in my final year of Teachers College, training to be a primary teacher.

I did so many things that year that I burned myself out and got so sick that I had to quit the course.

Everything looked so bleak and depressing, and my minister accused me of doing the whole thing on purpose, which made me worse.

But as the days went by the pain subsided, and as I continued to spend time with Jesus in prayer, Bible study, and worship, (and with more time going by) the darkness faded and hope returned.

I never ended up going back to teachers college, but Jesus demonstrated that He was still with me. I got a job working for a games company, and am still there 23 years later. It is not want I expected or even wanted, but Jesus put me there, has been with me all the way.

So my advice is not to worry about your future. Whatever decisions you make now are not binding. You still have years ahead, whether to get into nursing now, or even come back to it later.

Be assured that Jesus will go with you whatever path your life takes, and rest in Him. Just be patient with yourself.

God bless
Peter

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.