Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perception is reality.
Perception is myopic.

2 Kings 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Perception is myopic.
It can be, to be sure. Your perception of reality allows you to actually say 'reality can take' with such aplomb, while the rest of us see it as foolhardy and self serving. The question then becomes what heuristic gives one the best perception of reality?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The question then becomes what heuristic gives one the best perception of reality?
The one that includes all of reality: which includes the spiritual realm.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Truth is reality. We need the truth to know what reality is. So that begs the question: what is the truth?
Simple: truth is the degree to which something comports with reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Of course I understand scripture (most likely better than you). It's why I'm atheist.

Calm down Hitchens lover.

First of all it's not probable that you know the Bible better than me, you have no idea.

I asked for a relevant reason to discussion,not quizzing you. I will tell you in a minute.

Be a sport,tell me what you make of that scripture.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course I understand scripture (most likely better than you). It's why I'm atheist.
Ya ... that's why you gave up all this:

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

Psalm 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

... to become an atheist?

Did you first pray:

Psalm 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Reactions: Daniel C
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you noticing in this thread, which starts out IN SCIENCE, it's almost impossible to separate it from religion?

Do you get the impression that science is both [a subconscious] religion, and myopic?

I suppose some people might think that. They’re mistaken. Sensible people realize science is a tool. The best tool we have to understand the universe. It’s not object of worship. And it differs from religion in that good science doesn’t claim infallibility. It admits when it’s wrong, and will correct itself when evidence demands it. Religion never, or practically never does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

Psalm 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Did you first pray:

Psalm 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
You're projecting again AV.

(I mean I understand why, going off script might take you somewhere you don't want to be.)

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I suppose some people might think that. They’re mistaken. Sensible people realize science is a tool. The best tool we have to understand the universe. It’s not object of worship. And it differs from religion in that good science doesn’t claim infallibility. It admits when it’s wrong, and will correct itself when evidence demands it. Religion never, or practically never does.

Theoretically, science should never be wrong and need to correct itself if the methodology it runs on is empirical testable evidence.

"We use evidence" says mr. lab-coat and then comes back three years later because his own methodology and 'evidence' needs correcting.

Science can take a hike.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I suppose some people might think that. They’re mistaken. Sensible people realize science is a tool. The best tool we have to understand the universe.

Considering the fact that 95 percent of the universe is a complete mystery to astronomers, that's not encouraging.

It’s not object of worship.

Apparently you've never tried to argue against the LCDM model in public. :) Expect to be banned, censored and ridiculed at astronomy websites.

And it differs from religion in that good science doesn’t claim infallibility.

Meh. Astronomers presenting the big bang model act like it's settled science. They don't like being "doubted" in public either. :)

It admits when it’s wrong, and will correct itself when evidence demands it. Religion never, or practically never does.

Well, "scientists" *eventually* tend to admit when they are wrong, but only begrudgingly, and typically vindictively by not acknowledging the original person who came up with the idea. Check out Aristarchus of Samos. He wrote about a heliocentric model of space 1800+ years before astronomers eventually admitted their error and erroneously gave the credit to Copernicus and Galileo. Modern day astronomers like Tyson and Krauss have the audacity to blame religion for the problem too. Tyson's remake of Cosmos was utterly absurd. Tyson laughably tried to pin the blame for Ptolemy on the Catholic Church. He tried to blame the Catholic Church for astronomers not embracing heliocentrism for a couple of centuries before the birth of Christ and for the entire years 1800 years after Aristarchus first explained heliocentrism to them.

Scientists, like religious individuals are human beings and they all make the same mistakes.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Theoretically, science should never be wrong and need to correct itself if the methodology it runs on is empirical testable evidence.

"We use evidence" says mr. lab-coat and then comes back three years later because his own methodology and 'evidence' needs correcting.

Science can take a hike.
That's the beauty of science, it's self correcting. No one is infallible and anyone can participate.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Daniel C
Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Did you first pray:

I will give you the answer as the Hitchens lover ran off.

We were talking about truth and I asked him what the scripture meant. Answer: Jesus is truth. Only people who know the truth hear jesus voice. The guy failed the test but being an atheist that actually harmonizes with scripture.

Here's the video version of the scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.