Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Of course, the children who were martyr'd at Waco didn't know what the consequences were of worshiping Jesus.

Correction, they didn't understand the consequences of worshiping David Koresh.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All the time.

Is leading somehow to Daniel Boorstein's quote: "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge"?

I always liked this quote. (And Boorstein's book The Discoverers.) I always thought it was Boorstein too, but when I looked it up many are giving credit to Hawkins now... In any case it seems appropriate in this thread. It was not talking specifically about religious ignorance, it was referring to any preconceived ideas (mostly the science of the day) being a hindrance to greater knowledge. If you think you know already why bother learning something new.

It reminds me of:
Proverbs 11:2: "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
I always liked this quote. (And Boorstein Boorstin's book The Discoverers.) I always thought it was Boorstein Boorstin too, but when I looked it up many are giving credit to Hawkins Hawking now...
Fixed that for you ;)

QuoteInvestigator thinks it was Boorstin after all...

• Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They were bible believing Christians. David was a prophet, not a god.
If they were Bible-believing Christians, they should have known that Vernon Howell was a false prophet.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A false prophet can easily distort scripture.
Yup.

That's why we need to know It more and more.

There was a Seventh Day Adventist who refused to worship Jim Jones on the basis that Jim Jones was a false prophet, and left the church.

That saved his life.

When Mohammad claimed he was a prophet, the Christians accused him of being a false prophet.

They became martyrs.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If they were Bible-believing Christians, they should have known that Vernon Howell was a false prophet.
Maybe he wasn't. Everything he predicted came true. In fact AV, they achieved the highest level of evidence by being martyr'd, according to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Did you know that people get hurt, maimed, and killed by what they don't know?

Of course. Which is why it's prudent to study and learn as much you can. And also--as much as possible--not just believe something because someone says you should. Which applies to matters of both science and religion.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course. Which is why it's prudent to study and learn as much you can. And also--as much as possible--not just believe something because someone says you should. Which applies to matters of both science and religion.
Are you noticing in this thread, which starts out IN SCIENCE, it's almost impossible to separate it from religion?

Do you get the impression that science is both [a subconscious] religion, and myopic?

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you noticing in this thread, which starts out IN SCIENCE, it's almost impossible to separate it from religion?

Do you get the impression that science is both [a subconscious] religion, and myopic?
No, I get the impression you resent reality because it conflicts with your interpretation of the bible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You shouldn't constrain yourself to such a myopic view.
I'll take that under consideration.

But if the time ever comes ... and I have to ... I pray I'll have the guts to lay down with my fellow martyred brothers and sisters in Christ who refused the likes of Mohammad, Howell, Jim Jones, Ellen G. White, et alii.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'll take that under consideration.

But if the time ever comes ... and I have to ... I pray I'll have the guts to lay down with my fellow martyred brothers and sisters in Christ who refused the likes of Mohammad, Howell, Jim Jones, Ellen G. White, et alii.
Whatever floats your boat.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.