My Kidney Challenge II

Should you be made to give up one of your kidneys in the scenario presented in the opening post?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,280.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What, exactly, is the nonsense?

The claim that it's a begging the question fallacy? I clearly explained how it was.

The fact that a clump of cells is not a person? Please show me the scientific evidence that a fertilized egg is a person.

The qb and the notion that the "clump" could be
anything other than human.
The devopment from egg to birth and of course beyond
has been rather extensively studied.
Where are you finding room for reasonable doubt?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

QB? What does that mean?

and the notion that the "clump" could be
anything other than human.
The devopment from egg to birth and of course beyond
has been rather extensively studied.
Where are you finding room for reasonable doubt?

I never said it wasn't Human tissue. Of course it's Human tissue.

I said it isn't a person.

An acorn is a fertilized oak seed, but it isn't an oak tree. A zygote is a fertilized human egg, but it isn't a person.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,280.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
QB? What does that mean?

I never said it wasn't Human tissue. Of course it's Human tissue.

I said it isn't a person.

An acorn is a fertilized oak seed, but it isn't an oak tree. A zygote is a fertilized human egg, but it isn't a person.

QB is question begging. :D
I guess our topic is just semantics and equivocation
so might as well drop it.
I don't actually want to argue with you, doesn't feel right.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟99,257.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I find abortion to be fine through the first trimester. The idea that a single cell at conception is a "person" I find to be risible.

Usually people won't discover a pregnancy until they are more than a few cells in development. But I understand the meaning. Early development of an embryo can hardly be medically called a person. It hasn't reached the fetal stage. Reasonable stand to take.

But abortion is never really about biological facts but rather moral stances of society on said biological facts. What I consider the start of a life compared to you will differ drastically. I view it as life as soon as a person comes into knowledge of the pregnancy. The stages of the development are merely biological realities. To you it might be the second or third trimester where the organs are well developed.

As the pregnancy progresses I become less and less OK with the idea of abortion but it is still a difficult topic. I do believe that everyone has bodily autonomy but you have to weigh that against the life of a developing human.

Abortion is always a difficult topic to unravel. There is no binary solution to it. Neither would I want to have a yes or no answer for it. Life is full of nuance and no two situations are identical. Abortion is like a tool amoral. Who and how it is used is the limitations to the tool.

I am a strong advocate for changing the conditions that women choose abortion rather then banning it outright. Abortion is strongly correlated with certain economic and healthcare factors that I feel everyone would benefit from improving.

I'm not in support of a total ban either. I would however not give the unrestricted choice to women alone. There must be proper conditions to request for one. What I came to learn from keeping up on American events is that there are advocates that wanted late term abortion even to the point of near birth. All in the name of bodily autonomy. I find it morbidly wrong.

But that is just me.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,280.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Usually people won't discover a pregnancy until they are more than a few cells in development. But I understand the meaning. Early development of an embryo can hardly be medically called a person. It hasn't reached the fetal stage. Reasonable stand to take.

But abortion is never really about biological facts but rather moral stances of society on said biological facts. What I consider the start of a life compared to you will differ drastically. I view it as life as soon as a person comes into knowledge of the pregnancy. The stages of the development are merely biological realities. To you it might be the second or third trimester where the organs are well developed.

Abortion is always a difficult topic to unravel. There is no binary solution to it. Neither would I want to have a yes or no answer for it. Life is full of nuance and no two situations are identical. Abortion is like a tool amoral. Who and how it is used is the limitations to the tool.

I'm not in support of a total ban either. I would however not give the unrestricted choice to women alone. There must be proper conditions to request for one. What I came to learn from keeping up on American events is that there are advocates that wanted late term abortion even to the point of near birth. All in the name of bodily autonomy. I find it morbidly wrong.

But that is just me.
What does just you say a "person" is?

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,241.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

I try to avoid the term "Life" in the debate. It to often ends up in a semantic argument. But I agree with everything you stated.

But that is just me.

My understanding of late term abortions is that they generally are only used when there is a serious complication with the pregnancy. Used in this fashion I'm OK with it. I agree that this is not something we should allow unrestricted.

• Agree
Reactions: IceJad
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟99,257.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
What does just you say a "person" is?

To me a person is a human and all the inherent traits that come with being a human. More than just the physical. My perception of what a person is encompasses the conception, to awareness, actions in life and even after death the personhood of that individual remains.

Physical & metaphysical. Earthly & spiritual. Body & soul.

• Informative
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is a little girl, named Sally. She needs a kidney transplant or she will die. You are the only compatible donor available.

Should you be forced you to give up one of your kidneys to save her life?

Why or why not?

No.

They are mine.

• Haha
Reactions: IceJad
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What about laws that force me to REMAIN pregnant?

What if Sally needs a kidney because you poisoned her by accident?

You didn't mean to destroy the kidneys of a child when you improperly disposed of your solar panels....but it happened.

Now Sally needs your kidney....

Yes or No?

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟265,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sexual behavior and sexual activity is reproductive, it is how babies are produced for future generations. If there was no need to this or any other species for babies from reproduction, there would not be sexual behavior and sexual activity in the species.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,280.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sexual behavior and sexual activity is reproductive, it is how babies are produced for future generations. If there was no need to this or any other species for babies from reproduction, there would not be sexual behavior and sexual activity in the species.
Gracious! Who knew?

Upvote 0