florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is this a trick question?

Let's say the earth was perfectly round, with a polished topography (no mountains and valleys), and you started a huge marble rolling southward.

In the absence of friction, wouldn't that marble keep going until it passed the equator, then eventually slow down and be pulled back up -- going back and forth across the equator until it finally comes to rest?

An interesting little thought experiment

If the marble was rolling southwards, it would keep rolling and rolling (in this experiment there is no friction). As the world in this experiment is perfectly round, gravity will be equal wherever you are on the surface.

Therefore, the ball will keep rolling until it reaches the south pole, at which point it will roll pass and then start rolling towards the north pole. When it reaches the north pole it will then roll past it and back towards the south pole. This will carry on indefinitely until another force acts upon the ball.

When the ball is rolling at a constant speed, the net forces acting upon it is zero. There is no force pushing the ball and there is no friction. Gravity is equal everywhere on the surface. However, the gravity cannot do anything to slow the ball down as it is equal at all points and there is no friction.

So, in short the ball will keep rolling in a big loop around the earth until another force acts upon it.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't figure that out either, until I read the accusation:

Acts 17:6 And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also;

Then I understood.

QV please:

Nope, you guessed wrong. And I already know the answer, having been a better bible student than some. Perhaps you could research it, or shall I tell you?

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You're thinking three-dimensionally, aren't you?

Do you suppose we could apply that to the passage in the Bible about the CIRCLE OF THE EARTH?

Much is made of Isaiah 40:42 where it is asserted that Isaiah told us all that the earth is a sphere. But is this what was really meant by the word the translator's usually present to us as "circle"?

The Hebrew word in Strong's transliteration is "chug". Here are all the verses in which the Hebrew word "chug" appears, included one use of "chug" as a verb:

Isa 40:22
It is He who sits above the [chug] of the earth,
And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
NKJV

Job 22:14
4 Thick clouds are a covering to him, that he seeth not; and he walketh in the [chug] of heaven.
KJV

Prov 8:27-29
When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a [chug] upon the face of the depth: When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep: When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:

Job 26:10-11
He hath [chugged] the waters with bounds, until the day and night come to an end.
The pillars of heaven tremble and are astonished at his reproof.

There are some things we can notice about these verses. What is the common meaning between these verses? I submit that it is quite clear the word does not means "sphere". It is also clear the word always is used in the context of the big picture of the earth and even more.

The talmudic writers leave no doubt that their literalistic interpretation of the firmament of Genesis One was simply that of the great bowl of the sky, placed as a dome over the flat earth. You may research this for yourself by searching for "talmud" and "firmament" over the internet; here is a good link you might find that way.

Daat Emet: Pamphlet 4

It is quite plain that the word "chug", then, can easily be understood as a reference to the Firmament; it can easily be considered as an alternate word for the same idea. Proverbs 8:27 almost cries out to interpret the word [chug] in that way.

It is also quite plain that this word is no proof that the earth itself is shown by Isaiah to be a sphere.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
An interesting little thought experiment

If the marble was rolling southwards, it would keep rolling and rolling (in this experiment there is no friction). As the world in this experiment is perfectly round, gravity will be equal wherever you are on the surface.

Therefore, the ball will keep rolling until it reaches the south pole, at which point it will roll pass and then start rolling towards the north pole. When it reaches the north pole it will then roll past it and back towards the south pole. This will carry on indefinitely until another force acts upon the ball.

When the ball is rolling at a constant speed, the net forces acting upon it is zero. There is no force pushing the ball and there is no friction. Gravity is equal everywhere on the surface. However, the gravity cannot do anything to slow the ball down as it is equal at all points and there is no friction.

So, in short the ball will keep rolling in a big loop around the earth until another force acts upon it.

In fact, that is exactly what happens to objects that are lifted off enough from the earth to not have friction and are going fast enough for the centrifugal force to counterbalance gravity. They call such objects "Satellites".

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

Do you suppose we could apply that to the passage in the Bible about the CIRCLE OF THE EARTH?
No, because a circle is a two-dimensional idea. A sphere is the three-dimensional equivalent. The Hebrews had a word for sphere but didn't use it.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Nope.

Just wondering why, if warm air rises, the higher latitudes aren't warmer.

(Unless the air cools as it rises toward the pole.)
When I first started reading this thread, I thought you were just trolling. But you seriously believe that hot air should rise towards the North Pole, don't you?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry AV, you're going to seriously have to up your crazy index to beat the newcomer Morse86. With his flat-earth space station denialism, these odd attempts to explain Biblical analogies just aren't getting the play they used to.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry AV, you're going to seriously have to up your crazy index to beat the newcomer Morse86. With his flat-earth space station denialism, these odd attempts to explain Biblical analogies just aren't getting the play they used to.
:cry: Nuts!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The answer to the original question, if the answer is seriously sought that is, can be found by reading about atmospheric circulation:

Atmospheric circulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not a straightforward topic, but, once grasped, makes a lot of other things clearer: for instance why deserts and tropical forests are found where they are. The Coriolis effect is another interesting aspect that can take a bit of head scratching before it becomes clear. Anyway, if anyone is genuinely interested the answers are easy to find.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If warm air rises,* then why does the temperature drop the further north you go from the equator?

* Yes, I know, warm air technically doesn't rise -- it's pushed up.
North and up are not the same thing. I know you can't possibly be that igno-.. . well.. never mind. Maybe you are.
^_^
I learn something new everyday on CF............

images

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
AV1611VET said:

No, because a circle is a two-dimensional idea. A sphere is the three-dimensional equivalent. The Hebrews had a word for sphere but didn't use it.
Gotta love them Hebrews!

Concepts in Time
Concepts in Time

The modern western mind views time as linear with a beginning and end. Whether you ascribe to the theory of evolution or creation, the timeline for planet earth is the same, a beginning and an end. The creationist views this span of time in the thousands of years with the beginning the creation of the earth by the hand of God and its destruction also by the hand of God. The evolutionist views this span in the billions of years with the beginning the creation of the earth through cataclysmic events and its destruction through another cataclysmic event.

The Beginning and the End - Circular Time

Time is not linear it is circular. A clock is not a timeline but a circle for the simple reason that time does not begin or stop, it continues without beginning or end. In the same fashion days and years are also circular.

articles_time6.gif

If the timeline above for the span of the earth and man is bent back onto itself we create a circle of time. With a circular view of time our perspective on the beginning and end of the earth and man change. No longer is the beginning the beginning and the end the end, but a continual cycle of beginnings and endings.
While this view of time is contrary to our western way of thinking, it is consistent with other views from other cultures. The ancient Hebrews of the Bible and the people of the orient have always understood time, the past, present and future, as circular.

articles_time7.gif

How many of these cycles, or eras, have existed in the earth and man's past? In the Biblical text there are actually five cycles..................

The concept and the invention of the Hoola Hoop came from the Hebrews

Last edited:
Reactions: Heissonear
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If warm air rises,* then why does the temperature drop the further north you go from the equator?

* Yes, I know, warm air technically doesn't rise -- it's pushed up.

Because you're trying to talk about things that you don't understand.

Either that or trolling us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because you're trying to talk about things that you don't understand.

Either that or trolling us.
Its kind of like watching the samd episode of gilligans island, for the 50th time.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And why would you want to do that? Because you have demonstrated that you have little interest in actually learning about them.
Oh, believe me.

I've learned a lot from my challenges.

Upvote 0